Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Screw the F-35, I'm active duty AF and want nothing to due with it. We don't have the money to fund this crap, and no one out side the jet jockies who will get to play with it want anything to do with it. Its a bust, a waist just like the F-22. We are closing movie theatres, pools, rec centers all over the US on bases because we have no money. Every year they threaten to cut our pay, cut our benefits all so they don't have to cut funding on these colossal war machines that no one needs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am positive that the enemy fears American soldiers more than American armaments. Keep our boys/girls in uniform fed and relaxing by the pool!
Our strategic weapons keep the lid on all out aggression by the many dictators wishing we didn't have them, our ground forces alone cannot contain the carnage that would ensue should we divest ourselves of these weapons.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My main gripe with the F-35 has been the incredible pork and waste of money. Also I think the selection process was flawed. Other aviation companies were not allowed to compete. McDonnell-Douglas went bankrupt when they were left out of the selection process. Northrup was left out the process as well...Boeing had only 2 months or so to build their prototypes, where Lockheed Martin had years to develop their plane.
You got some of your facts mixed up. There was an open invitation for concepts for the JSF. Lockheed, Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas submitted proposals. The government down selected to Lockheed and Boeing and both were given equal contracts to develop and build two proof of concept planes. Lockheed won the fly - off and got the contract to develop the X35 into the F35 with its partners Northrop - Grumman, BAE and Pratt & Whitney.

Currently Lockheed is building the nose section of the fuselage & wings, Nothrop - Grumman builds the center section of the fuselage and BAE the tail. Final integration occurs at Lockheed' s facility in Fort Worth.

There are 9 countries around the world that are paying for the development of the F35 and those 9 plus every country that has committed to buy them has a piece of the production. As time goes on entire production will be done in the UK. Currently there are 150,000 people around the world that owe their lively hood to the F35.

BTW, McDonnell-Douglas didn't go bankrupt, they were acquired by Boeing for 13 billion. They had a string of poor performances on both military and commercial projects leading up to Boeing buying them, it wasn't just losing the down select on the JSF program that put them in a position to be bought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
sadly canada had agreements with LM in regards to manufacturing some components in canada, as part of us buying in to the partnership. however due to canada pulling out of the partnership means that likely many canadians may loose out on some high quality, good paying jobs.
in delta b.c is a company named avcorp, they manufacture components for the aerospace industry, they once employed over 400 people when busy, now they are down to 170'ish people, that was before this news, rumor i heard was they were going to get some of the f-35 work.
also, canada wants to establish their sovereignty over our arctic territory, and having a jet with only one engine seems like a bad idea for patrolling the arctic, just sayin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The next all out war will not include the possibility of anyone surrendering.
i remember a quote, and i forget who it was, but it went something like. "i know not what weapons that world war 3 will be fought with, but i know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

·
Registered
590 Posts
Screw the F-35, I'm active duty AF and want nothing to due with it. We don't have the money to fund this crap, and no one out side the jet jockies who will get to play with it want anything to do with it. Its a bust, a waist just like the F-22. We are closing movie theatres, pools, rec centers all over the US on bases because we have no money. Every year they threaten to cut our pay, cut our benefits all so they don't have to cut funding on these colossal war machines that no one needs.
If it boils down to benefits or air superiority I vote the latter. When I served we had none of your "benefits" and hardly any pay.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ok.. I'll mention the elephant in the room in this conversation

Canada needs to "money up" and build it's own all-weather fighter variant
We did the Avro Arrow and scared the bejeesus out of the US military
The US then gave us an ICBM and we gave them the brain trust to fund NASA for the next 50 years

Advantage USA

Unfortunately my idea is a pipe dream.. we have a ball less Prime Minister in this country who is hell bent on Republicanism. Enough so that he's making the Bush clan his new pals
Also, the state of the civil service in Canada is .. "buy IBM you won't get fired"

I don't see any imagination or honesty in our military when it comes to future needs.. just political gamesmanship
If you can't play politics you're out...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Canada F-35 purchase might be on again. A news article reported a government review is going to recommend the purchase of 65 F-35s. Anyone else read this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I worked on the platforms on that assembly line. It is the first moving line of it's type. I also worked on the paint stands/platforms for the F-35. (Design Engineer)

As far as the F-35 goes. It is a POS! Some moron in the pentagon decided that VTOL and STOVOL were more important than performance. The F-22 out performs the F-35 in every way shape and form. The "cost problem" was also considered a factor in canning the F-22. However the multi trillion dollars spent in the development, build development and set up for the F35 would have bought an awful lot of F-22's.

I also got to fly the simulator for the F-35. No cross winds and very calm seas. Landed it on the carrier, first try. It wasn't the full cockpit version, just the single screen video game. All the feedback through the controls are exactly what the pilots feel, as it is a fly by wire aircraft.

I had a chance to tour the F-35 assembly line last June. It was the most impressive line I have ever seen.

I dudn't take the photos, you aren't allowed these are press photos.

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
Seems like they have some pretty serious engine design flaws as it has been grounded for some time now. Single engine design fighter with an engine that powerful? Even when it works properly, eleven year old German Euro Fighters shot it out of the sky in the recent war games. They commented that the Raptor lost a lot of speed in turns. All our fighter pilots could say was that the German pilots fly crazy! hahaha

21 - 34 of 34 Posts