Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Any exhaust suggestions out there? Just anything to make it sound better, and not like crap or a fart can. More than just cutting off exhaust. Anyone do a cat delete on their Dart before? Does it sound good?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any exhaust suggestions out there? Just anything to make it sound better, and not like crap or a fart can. More than just cutting off exhaust. Anyone do a cat delete on their Dart before? Does it sound good?
Check out modern performance. They have a bolt on header with a high flow cat and O2 sensor bungs and flowmaster options for cat back systems at very good prices. Although any muffler shop can custom make cat back systems. I'm going to get bashed for this, but we should be responsible and keep the cats for our daily drivers. These new high flow cats don't door much to restrict air flow anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
That's what I want to know.
Can you get away with doing a cat delete?
You cannot just do a "cat delete" if one wants to do a "cat back exhaust" on the Dart platform. The catalytic converter on the stock OE exhaust manifold is huge and physically cannot be removed. The manifold is built into the Exhaust and Catalytic Converter as you can see in the follow schematic:
physically you can see it in @Bullfrog's post here http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-2-0l-tigershark/21610-behind-shield-engine-exhaust-heat-shield.html -

Now, yes, one can go with @Go Mango's suggestion and use the MPx header unit and from there go catless, but there have been mixed reviews on the header unit around the .org. So yes, that is an option with the MPx header, but I would research, research, research before anything. I agree with you @Go Mango that going catless on a sub 200HP platform is unnecessary and really unwarranted, the cat serves a purpose and we should at least keep it there.

@MattyMopar & @MoneyMike1986, your best bet for a quality exhaust is to work with a reputable exhaust shop around you respective areas and build a custom one. Yes, the out of the box systems are nice because they are there with plug and play, but to be honest you will get more satisfaction with researching, building and seeing the product after install. It's worth it. Best advice I can give on exhaust setups and exhausts for our platform (or any platform) is research, research, research and find which one will fit your personal needs for what you are looking for.

Remember, what the NA's want it's not "back-pressure", its exhaust velocity. NA's are designed for proper flow of gas-speed may exhibit some degree of "back-pressure" as a necessary evil or result or side-effect, but "back-pressure" in and of itself is NOT a good thing. The larger the exhaust pipe is on an N/A engine the gases slow down & get all swirly, actually causing more "back-pressure". Where with the NA's we want to exit the gases as fast as possible not slow down and create the "back-pressure". You can read more about it here - turbo exhaust verses NA exhaust

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the Flowmaster Cat-back Exhuast from Modern Performance...I love it. I went through more money than I care to admit trying to get a good sound out of my 2.4L (muffler delete, then glasspack muffler addition, then resonator delete) before I sucked it up and bought the Flowmaster system. Buy the time I finally bought the Flowmaster I had almost regretted changing the exhaust at all, because everything I kept trying was only making it worse!!! Not only did the Flowmaster fix the sound, but it was something I was able to install myself in 30 minutes in my garage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all y'alls info. I'm trying to avoid doing a custom setup as I foresee doing sweet changes in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2016 dodge dart 2.0l se and i bought a 3 inch steel pipe about 10ft long and had it bent to fit my car. the pipe was $100 and the bend and put on was $150 so for $250 i got a 3inch cat back exhaust that you cant even talk in the car unless ur yelling, when driving over 5500 rpms

1 - 9 of 9 Posts