Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed oil on 2.4l multi air 2015 dart. I used a fram extra guard oil filter which I have been using them routinely for 2 years. Check engine light came on. Pulled error code P1067. Cleared light

·
Administrator
5,853 Posts
When you replace the oil and filter, fill the filter to at least half with oil before you screw it on. You may have just starved the solenoid when you first cranked. If the code comes back, then worry.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.4L / Diagnosis and Testing

P1067-CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE

Theory of Operation

Multi-Air is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; Multi-Air, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allowing for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely.

The Multi-Air valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. The PCM provides 12 volts to close the solenoid. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following condition is met:

•With the engine running.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) measures the time needed to turn on the VVA Solenoid. When the PCM recognizes that the VVA Solenoids switch on time is too fast or too slow a fault is set.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

ENGINE OIL LEVEL LOW
ENGINE OIL AERATED OR CONTAMINATED
INCORRECT ENGINE OIL FILTER
INSUFFICIENT OIL PRESSURE DUE TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE IN THE OILING SYSTEM
VVA ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I cleared the check engine light after pulling a P1067 code. I have roughly 100000k on the car drive the car most of the day no light came on until tonight. P1065 P1067 code pulled. Car ran fine with light on I’m afraid to ask what’s the next step

·
Administrator
5,853 Posts
The additional code:
P1065-CYLINDER 1 SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE
This is basically the same malfunction except it's for cylinder 1 while your previous code, P1067, is for cylinder 2. The solenoids are part of the MultiAir Assembly and not available as a separate part. Since you have recently replaced the oil and filter, and it is at the correct level, you either have a problem with the oil pressure or a problem with the MultiAir assembly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you replace the oil and filter, fill the filter to at least half with oil before you screw it on. You may have just starved the solenoid when you first cranked. If the code comes back, then worry.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.4L / Diagnosis and Testing

P1067-CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE

Theory of Operation

Multi-Air is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; Multi-Air, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allowing for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely.

The Multi-Air valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. The PCM provides 12 volts to close the solenoid. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following condition is met:

•With the engine running.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) measures the time needed to turn on the VVA Solenoid. When the PCM recognizes that the VVA Solenoids switch on time is too fast or too slow a fault is set.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

ENGINE OIL LEVEL LOW
ENGINE OIL AERATED OR CONTAMINATED
INCORRECT ENGINE OIL FILTER
INSUFFICIENT OIL PRESSURE DUE TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE IN THE OILING SYSTEM
VVA ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY
My mechanic thinks the oil pump may be the culprit. It looks like a very labor intensive job to change the pump. Worried I will have oil leaks after job is done if it’s the pump if it’s the. VVA actuator assembly is expensive for part. It looks like I’m screwed either way. There is no chance I have a defective oil filter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now the 2015 Dodge Dart manual 2015 is misfiring badly under load until warmed up then runs fine. Car is going in the shop Monday For multi air or oil pump

·
Administrator
5,853 Posts
There is an oil filter for the MultiAir that can only be replaced with the head removed. Something your mechanic should be aware of.
Audio equipment Gas Auto part Automotive lighting Rim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know P1065 and P1067 indicate fault vva or low oil or incorrect oil filter or low oil pressure. My problems with the car began a few weeks ago when fuel pump fuse blew Since replacing the fuse I have changed the oil and filter Sometimes when cold the engine barely runs under load when driving in gear. Intermittent problem. The car goes in the shop tomorrow I was wondering if a misfiring engine running rough could cause multi air error codes. I’ll keep everyone informed on repair shop findings. Thanks

·
Administrator
5,853 Posts
You would get different codes if it was starving for fuel. MultiAir controls the intake valves so most likely that is giving you the rough running.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Saturday with check engine light on car would hesitate and misfire badly. Sunday check engine light went off on its own and car ran good even with cold engine no hesitation. Ran great on way to mechanic they pulled the same codes I did and asked when did I do last oil change and what weight oil I used. Ruled out fuel pump as an intermittent problem saying they either work or they don’t.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So Saturday with check engine light on car would hesitate and misfire badly. Sunday check engine light went off on its own and car ran good even with cold engine no hesitation. Ran great on way to mechanic they pulled the same codes I did and asked when did I do last oil change and what weight oil I used. Ruled out fuel pump as an intermittent problem saying they either work or they don’t.
Hello i was reading your issues and it sounds like it’s your VVA Multi Air Actuator I had that same problem and I just got mines fixed couple weeks ago very expensive cost me like $2600

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After about a week of running fine check engine light came on again code P1067. i decided to change the oil again and used a mopar 339 oil filter in place of the fram p10060 to see if I had a bad oil filter so im thinking the multi air soleniod is bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
After about a week of running fine check engine light came on again code P1067. i decided to change the oil again and used a mopar 339 oil filter in place of the fram p10060 to see if I had a bad oil filter so im thinking the multi air soleniod is bad
Okay the problem is you can’t just replace one multiair solenoid you have to get the whole multi air actuator

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I did an oil change and filter change to rule out fram filter started car ran rough e
check engine light came on the faults were the following P1062 P0302 P1067 im hoping that ill be able to drive it to my mechanic about ten miles away

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2015 Dodge Dart manual sxt is done Low oil pressure causing vvt actuator to fail not worth fixing. internal engine problem, i bought the car at fifty thousand miles put a front wheel bearing rt front cv joint tone wheel (rear) spacer for abs failure a rear backup camera rear calipers because my e brake was not working and normal wear and tear brakes and clutch at 72,000 thermastat housing and thermostat Overall not a very reliable vehicle I want to thank all of you who have helped me unfortunately cost for 52,000 miles of ownership was the second highest i have ever had with a merkur xr4ti being the only vehicle that i have owned that cost me more to operate this forum has been a huge help for me and i want to thank all of you who have helped me over the years. dart went from mechanics to long island junk yard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts