Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not neccessarily. The engine is built and tuned for a specific kind of gas. Using higher octane fuel that it's designed for can have an adverse affect on performance and longevity. The higher octane gas is going to run hotter which could overheat your engine and eventually burn out the engine compenents that aren't designed for it. Meanwhile you could get pre ignition with higher octane fuel than it's rated for, causing a loss of power.
Were talking about the dart and it says 91 is ok so but thanks on the information mate :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes my GT is a 2.4. No, it is not tuned; it's a fully loaded stock 14GT. I appreciate the responses. I didn't realize that the noise was normal, that's exactly what I was asking. I'm glad to hear that it's not an engine issue. It does sound exactly like a lifter tick.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I run 91oct. 100% of the time only because it's the highest we sell here in Oklahoma besides Race fuel.

My engines still sounds like it's running on diesel. And the dealer refuses to say there's something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This is most likely the sound you are hearing. I asked the service department at my dealer about the same thing and that was the answer. My mom has a Journey with the multiair and it makes the exact same sound.
Journey does not have MA - it has GEMA WGE VVT.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes my GT is a 2.4. No, it is not tuned; it's a fully loaded stock 14GT. I appreciate the responses. I didn't realize that the noise was normal, that's exactly what I was asking. I'm glad to hear that it's not an engine issue. It does sound exactly like a lifter tick.
I relate my 2.4 to a small John Deere tractor when at an idle. I've gotten to where I like it, I like everything about this car, but then I'm biased.

·
Premium Member
6,047 Posts
I run 91oct. 100% of the time only because it's the highest we sell here in Oklahoma besides Race fuel.

My engines still sounds like it's running on diesel. And the dealer refuses to say there's something wrong with it.
Do they have another 2.4L Dart on the lot? Have them fire it up and compare the sound to your car. If they sound pretty much the same, you probably don't have a problem. The MultiAir system isn't quiet!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Were talking about the dart and it says 91 is ok so but thanks on the information mate :)
Actually ...

We're talking about a 2.4L Dart, and the Owner's Manual doesn't say 91 is OK ... it says it is not recommended:

Fuel Requirements.JPG
image from page 464 of the 2013 Dart Owner's Manual (3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Edition)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Always ran 87 in mine and it has a ticking also, i have always believed from these forums that it was and is the MA2 engine itself. Not incorrect gas or lack of oil. Although my engine was a quart low but ever since i topped it off it has not moved from the high side of the dip stick.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I jus tpicked mine up today and it has the same engine tick. It's the third one I've driven and it sounds just like the other 2.

Just more reassurance that the ticking is normal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You get a better performance gain using higher Octane....hence why you need higher octane when you have a tuned car/PSI output. you cheap on gas it shows eventually just like eating fast food everyday....

Thats a myth, running higher octane in an engine that does not specify it does not improve performance. A modified engine is different but putting higher octane in the non turbo Darts will not improve performance, its a waste of money.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just bought my GT two days ago and am really disappointed in how loud the engine is. My girls has a 2007 Civic with 170,000 miles and it is still almost silent when running. The Dart is very loud at idle.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thats a myth, running higher octane in an engine that does not specify it does not improve performance. A modified engine is different but putting higher octane in the non turbo Darts will not improve performance, its a waste of money.
higher octane just means it is more resistance to pre-ignition from compression, hence why turbos use higher octane. Zero improvement unless the manufacturer calls for it. My Nissan took premium and the engine would knock at 2k rpm if I put anything under 93. Don't waste your money on 89+ in 2.0 or 2.4

-pitajr

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been using 91 in my GT since day one. then I saw on here that only need to use 87 so I put one tank in of 87 and it didn't seem to run as well and the engine was making kind of a tick. so I returned to 91 and been great ever since.

·
Registered
47 Posts
so I disagree with the idea of 87 atleast in the 2.4. I don't know but could it have something to do with living in a pretty high altitude?

·
Registered
1 Posts

do u have the 1.4 , if not the non compressed motors aren’t supposed to run the high octane they aren’t making the required amount of compression to fire the stuff correctly

21 - 40 of 40 Posts