Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my GT for just over a month and have noticed a slight tick to the engine. I noticed it on day one but wanted to give it a little time before I got too upset about it; I knew the engine only had 11 miles on it and still needed to be broken in. Well, I'm at about 1K miles now and still hear the ticking. Does anyone else have this happening? I have no way of telling if this is normal because I'm in Europe and there aren't many GT's over here. Not to mention its not quite as simple as just popping into the dealer and asking.

I don't really have any issues with the car. I love it. I just want to make sure that I correct potential issues before they get out if hand. Thanks for the responses in advance.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
What octane you putting in knocking maybe make sure you get 91/93 some of these people are doing 87 that's just trouble waiting.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
What octane you putting in knocking maybe make sure you get 91/93 some of these people are doing 87 that's just trouble waiting.
91 in a 2.4? Please explain I've been wondering whether to run 87 89 or 91 in my 2.0

·
Registered
25 Posts
91 in a 2.4? Please explain I've been wondering whether to run 87 89 or 91 in my 2.0
I have a 2.0 I can hear ticking sometimes the book says 87 is sufficient. I agent to mid grade and the ticking stopped. Any grade above that then your wasting money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using telegraph

·
Registered
288 Posts
The book says to run 87 in all of the darts except for the 1.4T. You don't get a more quality gas with the 89 or the 91. The difference in octane is how hot the gas has to be before it combusts in your engine. Our cars only need 87. Anything more and your engine is working harder for no reason. Plus you are going to pay more.

If I'm wrong let me know lol but I don't think I am. I remember looking this up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The noise seems to be all the time. I've been using the lowest octane available over here. I think it's 87 but I'd have to look to be sure. I may try a higher octane on the next tank and see if that does anything.

It's been many years ago now, but I do remember using a higher octane in previous cars did seem to improve engine ticking. But that was also before ethanol was introduced to the mass commercial market. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they even use ethanol over here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The noise seems to be all the time. I've been using the lowest octane available over here. I think it's 87 but I'd have to look to be sure. I may try a higher octane on the next tank and see if that does anything. It's been many years ago now, but I do remember using a higher octane in previous cars did seem to improve engine ticking. But that was also before ethanol was introduced to the mass commercial market. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they even use ethanol over here.
Ethanol gas will kill your MPG! I'm in South Carolina and it's all ethanol over here I hate it. It just gunks up your engine.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You get a better performance gain using higher Octane....hence why you need higher octane when you have a tuned car/PSI output. you cheap on gas it shows eventually just like eating fast food everyday....

·
Registered
301 Posts
You get a better performance gain using higher Octane....hence why you need higher octane when you have a tuned car/PSI output. you cheap on gas it shows eventually just like eating fast food everyday....
Putting higher octane in a car not tuned for it does nothing but cost you more. Plus and super grades of gas are not better just higher octane rating for cars that can use it or people that think super is better than regular. :) You will get much better gain from finding e0 gas

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart

·
Registered
849 Posts
91 octane fuel will only benefit high compression engines or boosted engines, the higher compression can utilize the extra and can actually 'ping' when running low grade fuel, on an engine like the 2.0 or 2.4 they are designed and tuned to run on 87 so you will not see any gains really with premium. Being that you have the 2.4 with multiair you most likely are hearing the multiair system ticking

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You're assuming he doesn't have a tune car, maybe he does or doesn't cause he never stated. I'm just putting it out there incase it is tuned..........

·
Registered
45 Posts
91 octane fuel will only benefit high compression engines or boosted engines, the higher compression can utilize the extra and can actually 'ping' when running low grade fuel, on an engine like the 2.0 or 2.4 they are designed and tuned to run on 87 so you will not see any gains really with premium. Being that you have the 2.4 with multiair you most likely are hearing the multiair system ticking
This is most likely the sound you are hearing. I asked the service department at my dealer about the same thing and that was the answer. My mom has a Journey with the multiair and it makes the exact same sound.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You're assuming he doesn't have a tune car, maybe he does or doesn't cause he never stated. I'm just putting it out there incase it is tuned..........
If a tuned car has the stock compression I would not think it needs 91. Maybe if the spark is advanced far enough it could need 91.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
@ranger1 -

Considering you started this thread in the "Dodge Dart GT" sub-forum and you stated in the OP that you own a GT, I think it's safe to assume that your Dart is powered by the 2.4L I-4 Tigershark™ with MultiAir II® engine ... and therefore the ticking you are hearing is most likely the valve solenoids of the MultiAir valve train ... and/or the sound of injectors ticking.

Here's a video explaining the MultiAir technology:

As for fuel octane ... all Dart engines (1.4L MultiAir® Turbo, 2.0L Tigershark™, & 2.4L Tigershark™ MultiAir II®) are designed to run on 87 octane gasoline ... but Dodge recommends using 91 octane in the 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo engine.

To my knowledge, the only tune currently available for the 2.4L is ROAD///RACE's Spectrum Tuner ... and it has no requirement to run a higher octane fuel ... MOPAR hasn't released the Scat Pack Stages for the 2.4L which will tune for higher octane fuel (i.e., the Scat Pack Stage 2 includes a "premium-fuel engine calibration").

EDIT: My apologies to @jelli79 ... I didn't read his post (suggesting it was the ticking of the MultiAir valve train) until after I posted.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not neccessarily. The engine is built and tuned for a specific kind of gas. Using higher octane fuel that it's designed for can have an adverse affect on performance and longevity. The higher octane gas is going to run hotter which could overheat your engine and eventually burn out the engine compenents that aren't designed for it. Meanwhile you could get pre ignition with higher octane fuel than it's rated for, causing a loss of power.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts