Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new here... hope posting here is okay...

Story: About two weeks ago I blew my engine and I am trying to purchase a new one.

Questions: 1) Is it okay to buy a 2014 1.4L engine for my 2013?
2) Does Transmission type matter? Like I have a M/T does it matter if the engine comes out of a A/T?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
2013 1.4L was different. Where it mounts to either trans bellhousing is the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it has to be a 2013 engine but Transmission doesn't matter? I know I probably just repeated what you said but I want to be 100% sure before spending $1k

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for this

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I did some searching and what seems to be the difference between the 2013 1.4L and 2014+ 1.4L is the location of the crank sensor. I didn't find any pics of the 2013 but I did find the later 1.4L crank sensor. Since you already have the 2013 version, it should be possible to swap the tone wheel and rear main seal retainer from your engine to a later engine. I am not positive about this and am only suggesting that you look into this further.
dart14tonewheel.jpg
dart14ckpsensor.jpg
dart14rearmainseal.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude you've been a really great help man. If there was like a like or thumbs up button for you I'd click it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've managed to get a mechanic to swap my engine. Now I have one dilemma. My dart is a M/T. When I shift to first gear that gear is actually acting as my reverse. So if you know about the M/T layout there is like a wall behind the REVERSE Gear so when I try to sift in to second gear I cannot do that because my gears are off. How can I fix this?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Was the trans removed at the same time with the engine? If so, possibly something was put together incorrectly with the shifter cables.
There is an engine mount neutralization procedure that needs to be done. If the powertrain is not in a neutral position, shift points can be off. Basically, loosen all the mount bolts, rotate the powertrain to where it shifts correctly and tighten all the mount bolts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll send this information to the guys and see what they say happens

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He says "Everything is tighten I check over night and also know that the transmisión was left in the car but found that one bushing is gone bad". Would that effect the gears being out of place?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yes, a bad bushing will not fit tight on the shift lever pin and can cause problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He also sent me "I couldn’t have missed up the transmisión by changing the engine because I didn’t touch the transmisión and the bushings and worn out not broken"

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
He did have to loosen or remove engine mounts. There is a range of movement allowed by the mounts and if the engine/trans are rotated too far either way, it will affect the shifter cables.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sending that to him now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
2 Participants
Kidd_Dup
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing