Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Dodge Dart with a 2.0L I-4 and I want to swap it out with know V6 or I6 engine that would be able to fit. Would also appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You'd be the first. Hope you know coding because you're gonna need it to get all the electronics to work together. Might be able to get the pentastar v6 in there. They had a a mule running around with that and the 200 used it

·
Registered
553 Posts
IF you want to swap an engine into the Dart, you're going to have to replace ALL electronics, and/or do an old school type swap where you do a barebones swap.
Heck with it man. I wanna just see someone swap something.. ANYTHING into a Dart. I think eventually we should see SOMEONE do it, if anything an oldschool honda B series swap. And as far as the electronics.. Screw it. Just use a piggy back and if someone can figure out how to fudge the differences between engines and ECUs, it doesn't matter. If the box sees what it wants to see, then there is nothing to throw a code on (just need an OBD2 enabled pod with check engine set as the display).

For me, even more than that, I would like to know if there is any 4 cylinder head that can fit on top of the 2.4 Tiger... I feel like if we could disect multiair from the engine and implant a standart DOHC head (like the 2.0L head), we could really start talking about more power. Either that or I would like SOMEONE to find out what a base tune for the 2.4L with multiair is with an AEM ECU.. If someone could just de-mystify timing settings and make a harness to use with multiair outside of the stock ECU, we could be in serious business! May not be able to reach 300HP N/A, but could possibly get somewhere in the 230's to 240's and not be stuck with the few options we have now. If only I were more technically inclined...

Also if you could DOHC the Tiger, think about it... You could make your own turbo setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
The mechanical problem with a 2.0 head would be figuring out the timing chain length. The block is higher on a 2.4 plus you need an extra sprocket for the intake cam. Add to that the fact that the 2.0 head does have VVT (Variable Valve Timing) and two cam sensors. That means wiring to the PCM. Neither the 2.0 nor the 2.4 PCM would be happy. If FCA comes out with a 2.0 turbo for one of their new line up, then you might have something to swap.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have a 2013 Dodge Dart with a 2.0L I-4 and I want to swap it out with know V6 or I6 engine that would be able to fit. Would also appreciate any recommendations.
Sell your Dart and buy something with the engine you want already installed. No, I am not being sarcastic or a jerk. Just an honest reality check.

We get this question asked at least 3 times a year. It's not possible to do without enormous amounts of time and money. Which in most cases, the person asking about swapping is a 20 something year old, who is still in college, and still owes 10k+ on their loan. Not a wise decision at all.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The mechanical problem with a 2.0 head would be figuring out the timing chain length. The block is higher on a 2.4 plus you need an extra sprocket for the intake cam. Add to that the fact that the 2.0 head does have VVT (Variable Valve Timing) and two cam sensors. That means wiring to the PCM. Neither the 2.0 nor the 2.4 PCM would be happy. If FCA comes out with a 2.0 turbo for one of their new line up, then you might have something to swap.
There is a new 2.0 turbo but it's built from the ground up with nothing at all like the last set of 4 bangers they had

·
Registered
287 Posts
If theres any engine that could possibly swap and fit in the dart, it would likely be the 1.75l turbo motor from the Alfa Giulietta QV. Giulietta is the underpinnings for the Dodge Dart. But you'd have to source the engine and tranny from the Australia or UK. The 1.75 turbo is the motor used in the mid engine Alfa 4C. This is not to say that major modification wont be required but in theory I think it would be more likely to fit in a dart than say a Pentastar V6. The amount of time, expertise and money needed for a swap like this would make it cheaper to just buy an entirely different car. You would need the 1.75 engine and transmission, custom motor mounts, transmission mounts, potential modification to the firewall, wire harness. Save that money you would spend and purchase something with more pep. Fiats have god awful resale value so you could buy a used Abarth Spyder or 500.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There was a 2.0 4 Cylinder Turbo in the Dart before it was being sold to the public.
2.0 Turbo Dart.jpg

pastrana dart engine.jpg

Well it was for Rallycross, and had 600WHP.

Check out Travis Pastrana's Dart.

Rallycross Darts

Dodge Promo Dart (skip to 3:22 to see)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Heck with it man. I wanna just see someone swap something.. ANYTHING into a Dart. I think eventually we should see SOMEONE do it, if anything an oldschool honda B series swap. And as far as the electronics.. Screw it. Just use a piggy back and if someone can figure out how to fudge the differences between engines and ECUs, it doesn't matter. If the box sees what it wants to see, then there is nothing to throw a code on (just need an OBD2 enabled pod with check engine set as the display).

For me, even more than that, I would like to know if there is any 4 cylinder head that can fit on top of the 2.4 Tiger... I feel like if we could disect multiair from the engine and implant a standart DOHC head (like the 2.0L head), we could really start talking about more power. Either that or I would like SOMEONE to find out what a base tune for the 2.4L with multiair is with an AEM ECU.. If someone could just de-mystify timing settings and make a harness to use with multiair outside of the stock ECU, we could be in serious business! May not be able to reach 300HP N/A, but could possibly get somewhere in the 230's to 240's and not be stuck with the few options we have now. If only I were more technically inclined...

Also if you could DOHC the Tiger, think about it... You could make your own turbo setup.
Personally, someday I'd like to grab a junkyard Dart and strip it down to body and frame and just make it into a project whatever. The bodystyle of the Dart is too great to be such a slow/meh car.

Someone in the FB Dart community wants to try to get Multiair Tuning and Development to make a 2.4 Cam, but no one wants to pull the trigger on sending them a camshaft do work with.

My suggestion to him, or anyone who has some extra money, time, and likes research that wants to squeeze some more power out of the 2.4 is: Find a stateside machine shop that does custom camshafts/camshaft regrinds, send them a 2.4 Camshaft, get them to get the proper measurements from it, and get it reground based on the changes from the stock 1.4 cam to the upgraded cams available (example if exhaust on 1.4T goes from 216 Deg Duration to 242 Deg Duration that's a 12% increase in duration. Apply 12% to whatever the stock duration is on the 2.4), and drop it in.

It isn't an exact science, or proper R&D, but it is a cheaper and more realistic solution to those wanting more power. The issues that would arise are; Finding a shop that does this (mostly time consuming), and the more difficult part, Finding how to time the 2.4/getting the tools that might be needed for it.

You aren't going to gain a ton of power, typically in a NA I4 engine, a mild cam upgrade would net 10-15 at the wheels, but it is one of the more "intrusive" options that could be available.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
FCA has a 2.0 direct-injection turbo. It's used in the base model of the Alfa Romeo Giulia. In that application, it makes 280hp and 306lbs-ft of torque. I believe it uses MultiAir II. That said, I believe that there are 2.4L Darts with custom turbo kits that make a good bit more power than that. While not exactly cheap or easy, it's still cheaper and easier than a full engine swap.

·
Registered
553 Posts
There was a 2.0 4 Cylinder Turbo in the Dart before it was being sold to the public.
View attachment 115018

View attachment 115022

Well it was for Rallycross, and had 600WHP.

Check out Travis Pastrana's Dart.

Rallycross Darts

Dodge Promo Dart (skip to 3:22 to see)
Technically it's a Ford ecoboost motor retrofit into the dart. I found out researching it's a rally specific thing. Same motor across the board but it's only the platform it's made off of. You can buy one... For North of 30k for a short block.

This is why I want to eventually buy another dart with a blown motor for cheap and do some junkyard searching for parts or motor. I think the honda b series and trans would be the best bet as it's a simple motor and cheap to build plus small. Electronics aside it would just be custom mounts or mounting adapters and custom splined CV joints. Outside of that figuring out how to trick the ECU into thinking the motor that's no longer there is working properly out just gut the evic and put in an aftermarket digital display. That way you don't see word popping up �� and use alfaobd to shut off everything you can and try to keep everything you can. Won't be a true dart anymore but let's be honest, is any modified car really what it was originally?

·
Registered
762 Posts
FCA has a 2.0 direct-injection turbo. It's used in the base model of the Alfa Romeo Giulia. In that application, it makes 280hp and 306lbs-ft of torque. I believe it uses MultiAir II. That said, I believe that there are 2.4L Darts with custom turbo kits that make a good bit more power than that. While not exactly cheap or easy, it's still cheaper and easier than a full engine swap.
They also have a 2.0t in the cherokee and wrangler and a 1.3t that will be in the renegade. On the other hand the cherokee and 200(both also the same platform as the dart) both had a v6 option, 3.6 for the 200 and 3.2 for the cherokee

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
They also have a 2.0t in the cherokee and wrangler and a 1.3t that will be in the renegade. On the other hand the cherokee and 200(both also the same platform as the dart) both had a v6 option, 3.6 for the 200 and 3.2 for the cherokee
Both are still available with their V6 as an option. For the Wrangler, the 2.0T is the base engine and is only available with an 8-speed automatic transmission. For the Cherokee, the 2.0T is a second optional engine, and is paired to the 9-speed automatic. I'm guessing this the the same 2.0T engine as the Giulia, just tuned differently. As for the 2019 Renegade, there doesn't appear to be any confirmation which engines or transmissions will be offered in North America. They've only made the European version official.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Both are still available with their V6 as an option. For the Wrangler, the 2.0T is the base engine and is only available with an 8-speed automatic transmission. For the Cherokee, the 2.0T is a second optional engine, and is paired to the 9-speed automatic. I'm guessing this the the same 2.0T engine as the Giulia, just tuned differently. As for the 2019 Renegade, there doesn't appear to be any confirmation which engines or transmissions will be offered in North America. They've only made the European version official.
Yes i know, never said the v6 was dropped (but it will be dropped in due time). Was just mentioning other cars in the use that have the 2.0t(wrangler and cherokee) and a v6 that also happened to use the same chassis as the dart (200 and cherokee).

·
Registered
238 Posts
figuring out how to trick the ECU into thinking the motor that's no longer there
You dont need to because the Engine is ran by the PCM which is the Powertrain Control Module, which controls only the Engine.
Just about all areas of the car have a specific module that is responsible for that specific area.
The BCM or Body Control Module controls many areas that you would interact with and somewhat tie together all of the other independent modules which there are between 11 to 14 modules all together.
The BCM also has the ability to be set to variety of different engines and drive trains. So it will not inhibit your ability to use a different engine at all.
In order to use the Stock gauge cluster you will need to give it the correct signals for it to function properly, which may require you to retain the stock PCM and tieing into the new engines sensors, or if not compatible adapt senors to the new engine so that it can get the necessary readings.
All of the control aspects for that new engine would be derived from the ECU or PCM that would run your new engine.
So you would in fact be running two computers, one that would actually direct the Engine as to what to do, and the other that would serve as nothing more than a data relay for retaining OEM functionality.
This is very common with (well prepared, and thought out) Engine Swaps, and typically you will see this level of detail with professional tuning shops.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You dont need to because the Engine is ran by the PCM which is the Powertrain Control Module, which controls only the Engine.
Just about all areas of the car have a specific module that is responsible for that specific area.
The BCM or Body Control Module controls many areas that you would interact with and somewhat tie together all of the other independent modules which there are between 11 to 14 modules all together.
The BCM also has the ability to be set to variety of different engines and drive trains. So it will not inhibit your ability to use a different engine at all.
In order to use the Stock gauge cluster you will need to give it the correct signals for it to function properly, which may require you to retain the stock PCM and tieing into the new engines sensors, or if not compatible adapt senors to the new engine so that it can get the necessary readings.
All of the control aspects for that new engine would be derived from the ECU or PCM that would run your new engine.
So you would in fact be running two computers, one that would actually direct the Engine as to what to do, and the other that would serve as nothing more than a data relay for retaining OEM functionality.
This is very common with (well prepared, and thought out) Engine Swaps, and typically you will see this level of detail with professional tuning shops.
Exactly this. It's pretty common in most engine swap really. If you could put the pentastar v6 in the dart it may not be all that hard really, and the v6 definitely has some power to make. Obviously the biggest hurdle at that point would be to figure out a way to give the pcm the multiair data it expects so it doesn't throw a code. would mainly just be reading output of the sensors that make multiair work under various conditions so you could simulate it in something like Arduino.. unless you could remove that requirement with alfaobd?? Would that be possible?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you could put the pentastar v6 in the dart it may not be all that hard really, and the v6 definitely has some power to make. Obviously the biggest hurdle at that point would be to figure out a way to give the pcm the multiair data it expects so it doesn't throw a code.
It works a little different than you are thinking,

The PCM or ECU receives all of its information or Data from sensors.
Multiair is not a sensor, so it does not give the PCM any data.
Multiair is two things
1. It is physically a electro-hydraulic "Multi" Valve control mechanism.
2. It is a newer form of Variable Valve Timing (for referencing engine management control strategies).

The PCM or ECU commands the Multiair module (or "Brick" as it is known by) based on 2 different timing sensors, oil pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, water temp sensor, manifold air pressure, throttle command from the accelerator pedal, 02 sensor (which is also exhaust temp), knock sensor and possibly ambient air temp.

If you are using a Pentastar V6 then you would share only the sensors that are the same (meaning you would splice the signal to both PCMs, all the rest you would run one of each sensor.

The Multiair PCM would just be issuing commands as if it were still in charge of the Engine, though it would not know any different, because it does not receive any feedback say a spark plug, or the multiair brick..
Things like the knock sensor could be left disconnected because you could not achieve the same knock frequency due to the different engine. (knock sensors are simply piezo microphones, and the PCM trips a code when a specific frequency of knock is detected identified to that specific engine, which is to say banging spoon to a pan makes a different noise, compared to banging a spoon to a pot)

There are some things that will need to be worked out with the senors, but nothing impossible, and much can be solved by simply being creative and open minded.
Like for instance the Dart will toss a CEL if it does not know that a boost control solenoid is connected.
It does not look for any specific Boost Control Solenoid rather a variable resistance.
It will pass with essentially any two wire solenoid.
This where creativity comes into play...
Can you simply place a resistor in place of the Solenoid?
Or
Would it even matter?
If you were running a turbo, you could simply splice into the wires to feed the PCM the signal from the newer setup.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It works a little different than you are thinking,

The PCM or ECU receives all of its information or Data from sensors.
Multiair is not a sensor, so it does not give the PCM any data.
Multiair is two things
1. It is physically a electro-hydraulic "Multi" Valve control mechanism.
2. It is a newer form of Variable Valve Timing (for referencing engine management control strategies).

The PCM or ECU commands the Multiair module (or "Brick" as it is known by) based on 2 different timing sensors, oil pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, water temp sensor, manifold air pressure, throttle command from the accelerator pedal, 02 sensor (which is also exhaust temp), knock sensor and possibly ambient air temp.

If you are using a Pentastar V6 then you would share only the sensors that are the same (meaning you would splice the signal to both PCMs, all the rest you would run one of each sensor.

The Multiair PCM would just be issuing commands as if it were still in charge of the Engine, though it would not know any different, because it does not receive any feedback say a spark plug, or the multiair brick..
Things like the knock sensor could be left disconnected because you could not achieve the same knock frequency due to the different engine. (knock sensors are simply piezo microphones, and the PCM trips a code when a specific frequency of knock is detected identified to that specific engine, which is to say banging spoon to a pan makes a different noise, compared to banging a spoon to a pot)

There are some things that will need to be worked out with the senors, but nothing impossible, and much can be solved by simply being creative and open minded.
Like for instance the Dart will toss a CEL if it does not know that a boost control solenoid is connected.
It does not look for any specific Boost Control Solenoid rather a variable resistance.
It will pass with essentially any two wire solenoid.
This where creativity comes into play...
Can you simply place a resistor in place of the Solenoid?
Or
Would it even matter?
If you were running a turbo, you could simply splice into the wires to feed the PCM the signal from the newer setup.

Hope this helps.
Man.. That's hella good info there! I thought that the multiair brick might have had some canbus crap in it that if the PCM sent a signal to the actuators, and the actuator didn't send one back, then it would throw a code or something but.. Guess not then? That actually makes things a lot easier than I thought. A resistor bank and bam. Ready for secondary ECU. The V6's in question can be had anywhere since they are primary engines throughout the dodge minivan line. Should be nothing hard to find in the junk yard, and they make pretty good power. To top that off, you can get a turbo kit for them, and if you get lucky, you can find a 4wd 200 smashed and grab all the good bits from it :D That would be super awesome to have 4wd 400hp in the dart! I feel like that's what it should have been in the first place...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts