Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 GT Dart with just over 37,000 miles on it. For the last two weeks I have been experiencing the engine shutting off while driving neighborhood speeds shortly after starting the car for the first time that day...From research and the symptoms I've been getting I believe it could be linked to the oil and oil change light. However, I've checked the oil levels and if anything there might be too much oil in the car. The oil life meter is in the single digits and the oil change light will not come on but should be at this point. I will hear like half a ding and it tries to come on the screen for a split second but that's about it

Here is an example of what will happen when the engine shuts off:
  • Start the car for the first time that day and the engine turns over fine
  • Drive out of my neighborhood on to the main road and get up to a speed of ~40mph
  • While driving the engine shuts off, no longer able to accelerate, battery indicator dings and light turns on, and all electronics (radio, A/C...) remain on.
  • I pull over (get flipped off and honked at - I love ATL...), put the car in park, and turn everything off
  • Attempt to turn the engine back over, may take 5-10 seconds or 1 or 2 times (I have a push start)
  • Engine turns over and I never have another problem for the rest of the day

Also noticed that it is MUCH worse in colder temps. The engine shut off on me twice this morning as temps dropped into the 30's for the first time. In warmer temps like 60's or above it seems like I don't have the issue.

Has anyone else had this experience? Seriously annoyed/depressed over here because I love this car...

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
I own a 2016 GT Dart with just over 37,000 miles on it. For the last two weeks I have been experiencing the engine shutting off while driving neighborhood speeds shortly after starting the car for the first time that day...From research and the symptoms I've been getting I believe it could be linked to the oil and oil change light. However, I've checked the oil levels and if anything there might be too much oil in the car. The oil life meter is in the single digits and the oil change light will not come on but should be at this point. I will hear like half a ding and it tries to come on the screen for a split second but that's about it

Here is an example of what will happen when the engine shuts off:
  • Start the car for the first time that day and the engine turns over fine
  • Drive out of my neighborhood on to the main road and get up to a speed of ~40mph
  • While driving the engine shuts off, no longer able to accelerate, battery indicator dings and light turns on, and all electronics (radio, A/C...) remain on.
  • I pull over (get flipped off and honked at - I love ATL...), put the car in park, and turn everything off
  • Attempt to turn the engine back over, may take 5-10 seconds or 1 or 2 times (I have a push start)
  • Engine turns over and I never have another problem for the rest of the day
Also noticed that it is MUCH worse in colder temps. The engine shut off on me twice this morning as temps dropped into the 30's for the first time. In warmer temps like 60's or above it seems like I don't have the issue.

Has anyone else had this experience? Seriously annoyed/depressed over here because I love this car...
There has been many reports of the engine shutting off, but that was due to the oil. You are right outside of your bumper to bumper warranty, but I would go to the dealer and see if they can take a look at it for free since you're so close to that warranty. You also have a 60k powertrain warranty so you are still in that, so if it is the engine, that should be covered. You said the oil seems to be fine, so that would be strange why it's doing this. It seems you have done your due diligence in researching and looking for a solution to this issue, and have provided a lot of information. However, the most common culprit (oil) seems to not be your issue so I think your best bet is to see if a dealer can diagnose it and have it happen to them. The unfortunate part is it probably will not happen with them and they will just give it back to you. This is a safety issue for you, and they should take this very serious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has been many reports of the engine shutting off, but that was due to the oil. You are right outside of your bumper to bumper warranty, but I would go to the dealer and see if they can take a look at it for free since you're so close to that warranty. You also have a 60k powertrain warranty so you are still in that, so if it is the engine, that should be covered. You said the oil seems to be fine, so that would be strange why it's doing this. It seems you have done your due diligence in researching and looking for a solution to this issue, and have provided a lot of information. However, the most common culprit (oil) seems to not be your issue so I think your best bet is to see if a dealer can diagnose it and have it happen to them. The unfortunate part is it probably will not happen with them and they will just give it back to you. This is a safety issue for you, and they should take this very serious.

That is usually my luck that my warranty just ran out and the car will be fine as soon as a service tech gets in the driver seat...it’s at the dealership right now for an oil change - which it needed anyways - so I waiting to see what they come back with.

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
That is usually my luck that my warranty just ran out and the car will be fine as soon as a service tech gets in the driver seat...it’s at the dealership right now for an oil change - which it needed anyways - so I waiting to see what they come back with.
Best of luck. Let us know what happens before you give them the OK to fix anything. They might try to blame something out of the warranty so that they can charge you, where that might not even be it. If they were a good dealer and they wanted to keep you as a customer, they would Good Will the repairs being so close in the warranty, and with how dangerous the issue at hand is. I would emphasize how dangerous this is, and how this should NOT be happening on a new car with 37,000 miles on it. Just out of warranty maybe, but being that close they should know something is terribly wrong and they should fix it with such low miles. It might be something electrical if the oil and engine components are fine. And at that point, it might be a lot of searching and testing and they might have it for a while to possibly not even figure it out, but I am sure they will want to bill you for every day they worked on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best of luck. Let us know what happens before you give them the OK to fix anything. They might try to blame something out of the warranty so that they can charge you, where that might not even be it. If they were a good dealer and they wanted to keep you as a customer, they would Good Will the repairs being so close in the warranty, and with how dangerous the issue at hand is. I would emphasize how dangerous this is, and how this should NOT be happening on a new car with 37,000 miles on it. Just out of warranty maybe, but being that close they should know something is terribly wrong and they should fix it with such low miles. It might be something electrical if the oil and engine components are fine. And at that point, it might be a lot of searching and testing and they might have it for a while to possibly not even figure it out, but I am sure they will want to bill you for every day they worked on it.
According to the service tech he thinks it was the oil. Oil was real dark and ready to be changed. They checked my other fluids and hoses and everything was normal. Car started up fine with no issues. According to them all is well so I will keep an eye on it. Temp is dropping back into the 30's here so I am going to let it sit overnight and see what happens with a literal cold start tomorrow...

I have a love-hate relationship with dealerships. I had an immediate family member work for Chrysler before they passed that saved us so much arguing (and money) with dealerships. As you stated, it's a serious safety issue and it's sad that I would be subjected to being nickel and dimed to make sure the vehicle I'm driving is safe. I had an issue with the airbag sensor about a year ago that took them a month to resolve after first returning the car to me with the service light still on and telling me it was fixed...needless to say I have no problem getting friendly with the service managers lol!

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
According to the service tech he thinks it was the oil. Oil was real dark and ready to be changed. They checked my other fluids and hoses and everything was normal. Car started up fine with no issues. According to them all is well so I will keep an eye on it. Temp is dropping back into the 30's here so I am going to let it sit overnight and see what happens with a literal cold start tomorrow...

I have a love-hate relationship with dealerships. I had an immediate family member work for Chrysler before they passed that saved us so much arguing (and money) with dealerships. As you stated, it's a serious safety issue and it's sad that I would be subjected to being nickel and dimed to make sure the vehicle I'm driving is safe. I had an issue with the airbag sensor about a year ago that took them a month to resolve after first returning the car to me with the service light still on and telling me it was fixed...needless to say I have no problem getting friendly with the service managers lol!
Same here. I was told one time to come pick up the car, the service manager is done talking with me and they were not fixing whatever it was that I took it in for. A quick call to Chrysler Corporate to complain and they bent over backwards for me. I am not one that wants to screw over the dealership workers. They are making a living like everyone else, but when you disrespect me, my car, and or both and don't own up to your mistakes, I will make it my priority to make your life and job a living hell. And they found that out the hard way.

If it happens again, be sure to possibly get to safety and record it. The dealer will do nothing with videos, it has to happen to them, however, if you can at least show them the aftermath to know what to expect, that's something and it's some sort of proof that the car is acting up, even after a fresh oil change.

And lets back the F up here. If oil levels were good, and they think that old dirty oil causing the engine to SHUT OFF is NORMAL...that tech better find a new job. I mean sure, if it was like 30,000 miles and you never changed it, yeahh I can see that but just oil that needs to be changed after a normal life cycle of it causing this? That is absolute BS and I wish you would have called them out on that. Do you know how many engines and cars should be shutting down left and right because of deferred and neglected maintenance? A LOT! I bet it's going to happen again soon. And if it does, I hope it's not in a place that will be dangerous for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm not buying the dirty oil claim either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts