Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone. I currently own a 2013 Dodge Dart with the 1.4L Multiair Turbo and the other day just after fueling up the car, it sputtered, backfired, lost power then died. The engine cranks over but it no longer has any compression in any of the cylinders except #1 some of the time ( getting 150 PSI approx. ) but then loses it. I found all the spark plugs to be quite fouled so I replaced those, took off the timing belt cover to verify the belt was ok and looks great ( not sure if it jumped a tooth though ) and took out the Variable Valve timing screen to confirm it wasn't plugged. Oil level was only down 1/2 a litre but topped off anyway. Fuel pump prime is good and spark on all cylinders. I've read a few TSBs stating a PCM flash may fix a 'crank with no compression' issue but I'm at a stand still right now. I put my snap on scanner and got •P1523-00 - VVA Low Oil Pressure, and •P1524-00 - Oil Pressure Out Of Range - Camshaft Advance/Retard Disabled. I do have an appointment at my local dodge dealer but not until the end of the month due to summer manning issues and workload I guess so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
How many miles on your Dart? It's not going to run without major help.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P1523-00-VVA LOW OIL PRESSURE

dart14VVAschematic.jpg

Theory of Operation

MultiAir is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; MultiAir, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allow for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely

The MultiAir valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. Both the supply voltage (approximately 8.0 volts) and ground circuit to close the solenoid are provided by the PCM. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

The VVA high oil pressure absent monitor confirms proper operation of the intake valves by measuring overall intake manifold pressure, monitoring intake manifold pressure pulsations, and monitoring RPM fluctuations during engine cranking. The PCM compares the manifold pressure value, manifold pressure pulsations, and RPM fluctuations to threshold values. The basis of the monitor is that a lack of oil in the high pressure chamber of the solenoid valves will prevent the intake valves from opening. When this occurs, no air is brought into the cylinder during the intake stroke, and so there is no air to compress on the compression stroke. This will result in a lack of vacuum in the manifold, causing prevention of normal RPM and manifold pressure fluctuations that occur during compression and intake events. This condition can be diagnosed by an overall lack of manifold vacuum, a lack of intake manifold pressure pulsations, and a lack of RPM fluctuations during engine cranking. This monitor is enabled during cold starts when there are no active MAP Sensor circuit faults

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs one time during an ignition cycle when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine cranking.

Set Conditions:

•The PCM detects Less than twelve intake manifold pulsations during engine crank.
◦Engine oil temperature and engine coolant temperature less than or equal to 45°C (113°F).
◦Engine Oil Temperature within 6°C (43°F) of engine coolant temperature.
◦No faults active related to MAP, Baro, CMP, CKP, ECT, IAT or boost pressure.

Default Actions:

•This is a non MIL fault.

Possible Causes

ENGINE OIL LEVEL LOW
ENGINE OIL INCORRECT
ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE INSUFFICIENT OR EXCESSIVELY HIGH TO THE MULTI AIR ACTUATORS
BROKEN TIMING BELT / BENT OR BROKEN VALVES
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P1524-00-OIL PRESSURE OUT OF RANGE - CAMSHAFT ADVANCE/RETARD DISABLED

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored:

•This diagnostic runs during engine cranking.

Set Conditions:

•The injected fuel quantity accumulated is greater than 6 grams.

Default Actions:

•This is a non MIL fault.

Possible Causes

PCM HAS SHUT OFF FUEL INJECTORS DUE TO THE FUEL ACCUMULATION COUNTER REACHING ITS CALIBRATED LIMIT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx for getting back to me alpine.... the car has 107,000 kms or approx. 68,000 miles on it. It also gave me a P0106 MAP sensor performance code as well I forgot to mention. What do you suggest my next course of action should be?

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
You can try to get the dealer to see you sooner. The MAP sensor code goes along with no compression. It could be several things, bent valves if the timing belt skipped, hydraulic part or electronic solenoids failed on the multiair, or something failed in the PCM. None of those possibilities are easy but they can be fixed. There are special tools needed for the timing belt as well as for the multiair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I considered picking up the timing kit off amazon and changing the belt anyway which would rule out the belt/timing but I didn’t want to start taking things apart until it was properly diagnosed. After all the attempts starting, the oil seems pretty thin and diluted with gas now so I’ll have to remedy that as well. I’m kinda stuck without the wiTech scanner as well

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I considered picking up the timing kit off amazon and changing the belt anyway which would rule out the belt/timing but I didn’t want to start taking things apart until it was properly diagnosed. After all the attempts starting, the oil seems pretty thin and diluted with gas now so I’ll have to remedy that as well. I’m kinda stuck without the wiTech scanner as well
You should get AlfaOBD and an OBDLink MX Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. This will give you even more information that a wiTech, which actually restricts visibility only to what the OEM thinks technicians should be allowed to see. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper.

Here's a link to an AlfaOBD thread to get an idea of what it can be used for:
https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-electronics/43097-alfaobd-advanced-diagnostics-through-obd2-diy-proxy-allignment.html

You can get the OBDLink MX Bluetooth from Amazon. This particular dongle comes highly recommended because it can access all of the modules in the Dart simultaneously.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up the 'bluedriver' a few month back for my wifes Acura and its pretty decent but limited functions, not to mention it didn't show the P1523 or P1524 codes either, just the P0106 MAP code. My snap on scanner went a little deeper but again limited functions. I think I just may pick this up seeing as a proxy alignment costs $100-200 anyway so it will pay for itself I guess. I really feel that a sequence of events led to this no start because when it initially backfired and started to sputter after fueling up, I had a look at the plugs and all the grounds were bent up a bit and actually touching the electrode but I couldn't see any contact on the bottom of the ground lead though. I regapped them and put them back in but after quite a bit of turning over, it eventually lost compression in the cylinders and haven't gotten it back since except for Cyl # 1 occasionally. The oil is now pretty thin with fuel contamination but not sure if that is enough to cause the VVT to not prime itself while cranking though. I purchased new plugs, gapped them and put them in but no joy. Will AlfaOBD allow me to reset the VVT system and do a cam/crank relearn?

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I'm not sure about the relearn with alfaOBD. It may not be something you want to do anyway. If it relearns a wrong setting for the crank or cam sensor, that still won't make it run correctly. A relearn is only to correct for slight tolerance differences with new parts and only if they were installed correctly. I think if it was a timing problem, you would have a P0016 code for timing misalignment. Change your oil if there is fuel contamination. It's never good if fuel washes your cylinder walls. There is an expensive tool for the multiair module alignment if it needs replacement. I posted that procedure a few years ago. With the codes you have, it really does point to the multiair the more I think about it. The timing belt only turns the exhaust cam. There is no traditional intake cam with lifters and rockers, that's been taken over by solenoids and hydraulics. When it failed, it is possible intake valves got bent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I'm afraid of, it being the Multiair module in the head which means big bucks...I'm thinking I should try and get my hands on an oil pressure tester and see if I've lost it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does someone happen to have the diagnostic sequence for those codes by chance? I'd kind of like to check a few things out myself seeing as my dealer appt. is still a few weeks away...

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts

P1523-00-VVA LOW OIL PRESSURE

1.CHECK THE ENGINE OIL

NOTE: An active SKIM code can cause this DTC to set. This may happen because the PCM will turn off the actuation of the VVA Actuators, but is still monitoring the parameters of the VVA high oil pressure absent monitor. Diagnose any SKIM Module DTCs that are present before continuing with this test procedure.

NOTE:
Diagnose and repair any ASD Main Relay or Actuator Supply voltage DTCs before continuing with this test procedure. The PCM internal actuator supply voltage is powered by the ASD Relay output supply to the PCM.

NOTE: This code may not set if engine is warm, recommend allowing vehicle to sit for a cold soak.

NOTE: Engine must be cranked for approximately 10 seconds to set DTC.

1. Check the engine for the following:
•LOW ENGINE OIL
•INCORRECT OIL FILTER THAT DOES NOT MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
•OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
•CORRECT VISCOSITY AND WEIGHT
•ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

Is oil level, type, and condition correct?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Correct level/change engine oil and filter as required, consult the service information for correct type and grade of engine oil and repeat test.

2.CHECK OIL PRESSURE / ENGINE MECHANICAL

NOTE: The actuators will not operate if the oil pressure is too low or too high.

Remove the Oil Pressure Switch and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

2. Crank the engine for at least 10 seconds and check the oil pressure at the Oil Pressure Switch location.

Is the oil pressure between 0.8 bar (11.6 psi) and 7.5 bar (108.8 psi)?

Yes

•Go To 3

No

•Repair as necessary.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

3.ENGINE MECHANICAL

1. Perform a cylinder leak down test.

Were any leaks found during the cylinder leak down test?

Yes

•Inspect for a broken timing belt and/or bent or broken valves. Perform the appropriate repair.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 4

4.CHECK THE MULTI AIR OIL SUPPLY SCREEN

1. Remove the VVA Assembly oil supply filter screen and visually inspect for contamination or damage.

Was the screen damaged or plugged/restricted?

Yes

•Replace filter screen and test operation. Investigate for source of contamination.

No

•Go To 5

5.CHECK THE MULTI AIR OIL PRESSURE

1. Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the oil supply filter screen port.

2. Crank the engine for at least 10 seconds and measure the oil pressure.

Is oil the pressure between 0.6 bar (8.7 psi) and 7.5 bar (108.8 psi)?

Yes

•Go To 6

No

•Repair the cause of the lack of or excess oil pressure to the VVA Assembly.

6.CHECK THE PCM SUPPLY VOLTAGE TO THE VVA SOLENOIDS

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Disconnect one of the VVA Solenoid harness connectors.

3. Using a 12–volt test light connected to ground, probe the solenoid signal circuit of the VVA Solenoid.

4. Crank the engine.

Does the test light illuminate brightly when the engine is cranked?

Yes

•Replace the Variable Valve Actuation Assembly.

No

•Go To 7

7.CHECK THE ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT AT THE PCM

NOTE:
The PCM internal actuator supply voltage, which is the power supply source for the VVA Solenoids is powered by the ASD Relay output supply to the PCM.

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Turn the ignition on and start the engine.NOTE:If the engine will not start and run this step will have to be performed while the engine is cranking.

3. Using the wiring diagram as a guide, measure the voltage at each of the ASD Relay Output circuit inputs to the PCM.

Is voltage present on the all ASD Relay output circuits at the PCM?

Yes

•Go To 8

No

•Repair the ASD Output circuit or circuits that show incorrect voltage supply.

8.CHECK RELATED PCM AND COMPONENT CONNECTIONS

1. Perform any Service Bulletins that apply.

2. Disconnect all PCM harness connectors.

3. Disconnect all related in-line harness connections (if equipped).

4. Disconnect the related component harness connectors.

5. Inspect harness connectors, component connectors, and all male and female terminals for the following conditions:
•Proper connector installation.
•Damaged connector locks.
•Corrosion.
•Other signs of water intrusion.
•Weather seal damage (if equipped).
•Bent terminals.
•Overheating due to a poor connection (terminal may be discolored due to excessive current draw).
•Terminals that have been pushed back into the connector cavity.
•Check for spread terminals and verify proper terminal tension.

Repair any conditions that are found.

6. Reconnect all PCM harness connectors. Be certain that all harness connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

7. Reconnect all in-line harness connectors (if equipped). Be certain that all connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

8. Reconnect all related component harness connectors. Be certain that all connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

9. With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

10. Test drive or operate the vehicle in accordance with the when monitored and set conditions.

11. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Did the DTC return?

Yes

•Replace the Powertrain Control Module in accordance with the Service information. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control - Removal) .

No

•Test complete.

P1524-00-OIL PRESSURE OUT OF RANGE - CAMSHAFT ADVANCE/RETARD DISABLED

CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

1. This is an information only DTC. This DTC is set because the fuel accumulator counter reached is maximum calibrated limit without the engine starting and shut off the Fuel Injectors to prevent cylinder flooding and spark plug fouling.

Diagnose and repair the cause of the engine not starting and erase the DTC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alpine, thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this, its greatly appreciated. I managed to get the car into the dealer a bit earlier ( 21st ) but still waiting. I had a chat with my son who was the actual driver and he said during his drive back that day, it was backfiring and popping quite a bit even before he gassed up so after he fueled up, drove for a few minutes and it really backfired, it obviously fouled the plugs and bent the ground electrodes due to the compression as I've seen that before. I read through the diagnostic information you posted above and the fact that contaminated oil due to flooding can thin it enough to turn off the VVT system basically. I passed that info on to the dealer as the car is there now waiting to go in but I'm thinking I should have changed the oil on it before I brought it over but oh well, I'll cross my fingers and hope its that simple and not something serious ..aka...expensive lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, got the car to the dealer after 2 days, they are just as stumped as I was. Guess they're waiting on the Dodge techline to assist them with the problem. Not entirely sure if they were following the same diagnostic procedure Alpine posted but man, with no warranty the hourly cost is gonna get expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So get a load of this, got a call from the dealer today and after what they say was an extensive diagnostic process, they have concluded that there is nothing wrong with the VVA system, and I have lost compression in Cyl 2 and 4 only. They did a cam alignment procedure to verify that the timing didn't jump a tooth and all good there. Their techline is now saying that it could be mechanical damage internally but with the leakdown test passing and apparently oil pressure was tested and good, how can it be a mechanical problem now? The service advisor also stated that their dealer is not familiar with these types of engines which would have been nice to know before bringing it there and I'm sure that'll be an argument when it comes to paying the bill, but I still believe that it has something to do with the oil pressure/VVA system causing the intake valves to not close properly. The other thing is it could be the VVA module in the cyl head but again, I can only go by what the service advisor says the mechanic checked during his procedure. Any tips?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey the exhaust cam pressurizes the oil for that Multiair Brick, (Thats what its called..) It does this through the Roller fingers that it actuates.
You may have simply had something go wrong with the roller finger, and it was not able to pump oil to the Multiair Brick, in which case you may just have to replace the rollerfingers and re-prime the Multiair Brick.

Considering you are getting compression on only cylinder 1 and 3, it could be traditional problems like bent valves, or piston rings too.
Roller fingers are mechanical too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after over a month at the shop, and an extensive list of testing they've done, they have no idea what the problem is with this engine. They wanted to start tearing it apart an d checking for internal damage and costing me loads more so I ended up trading it in and using it as a down payment on another car. Negotiated the shop charge into the deal and had it wrote off as well so made out not too bad except the fact that my poor son was without a car for over 2 months and lost some value on the car for trade in, just wish we could have found the issue but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Thanks to everyone here that helped out and I'm sure I'll be back.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day everyone. I currently own a 2013 Dodge Dart with the 1.4L Multiair Turbo and the other day just after fueling up the car, it sputtered, backfired, lost power then died. The engine cranks over but it no longer has any compression in any of the cylinders except #1 some of the time ( getting 150 PSI approx. ) but then loses it. I found all the spark plugs to be quite fouled so I replaced those, took off the timing belt cover to verify the belt was ok and looks great ( not sure if it jumped a tooth though ) and took out the Variable Valve timing screen to confirm it wasn't plugged. Oil level was only down 1/2 a litre but topped off anyway. Fuel pump prime is good and spark on all cylinders. I've read a few TSBs stating a PCM flash may fix a 'crank with no compression' issue but I'm at a stand still right now. I put my snap on scanner and got •P1523-00 - VVA Low Oil Pressure, and •P1524-00 - Oil Pressure Out Of Range - Camshaft Advance/Retard Disabled. I do have an appointment at my local dodge dealer but not until the end of the month due to summer manning issues and workload I guess so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks.
here you go for anyone needs a solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The multi air has failed, it has contaminates in the servo passages.

I have replaced mine for the same reason. Mine failed right after I did an oil change, do not put any engine oil cleaner additives in your oil and only use dodge recommend oil its special order, American oils are not on recommended list

1 - 19 of 19 Posts