Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap out my long bolt style 2.4L engine cover, for the 2015 stud style shorty cover. Does anyone know exactly what I need to do the swap?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm looking to swap out my long bolt style 2.4L engine cover, for the 2015 stud style shorty cover. Does anyone know exactly what I need to do the swap?
you have bolts on your '14 2.4 cover? mine just pops on. the only bolt ons I've seen on the 2.4 are the '15's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird. It varies depending on trim level maybe? Either that or factory it was built at. All I know is that mine burns with the new header on because of how far it protrudes over the exhaust.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I believe the GT's have the larger engine cover. My '15 GT has the large cover where my gf's '14 Limited has the short cover.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 14 GT with the smaller pop on cover.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 14 GT was built in September of 13 and I have the large bolt on cover.

·
Registered
225 Posts
'13 GT bought October of '13 and I've got the larger bolt on cover (collecting dust in my basement).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wanted to resurrect this thread, because I'm looking to do the same thing. I've got a 2016 GT and it's got the large cover with threaded studs & nuts, and want to swap over to the smaller cover with ball studs. Did a search and couldn't find a good thread that gave me part numbers and how to achieve it. That's not to say that there isn't one, but I just couldn't find it. I'm wondering how many of each ball stud I need to order. They show three, but the cover takes four, and there are varying lengths. Also the large covers are held in place with studs that look to be anchored in pretty well to the cylinder head aluminum cover. I'm guessing a nice double nut method would back the ones that need to be out off, but worry about stripping the aluminum on the way out. My back left stud won't hold the cover down anymore as the bracket to hold the Eurocompulsion intake and its nut makes the stud too short to accept the engine cover nut anymore. I'm guessing the ball stud system won't be affected by this. Pulled the below parts lists off Mopar parts website. Looks like the cover you got was depend on year and trim level. If someone could supply some photos of the ball stud setup below the cover so I have an idea of which studs go where #2 or #3 shown below. Attached my setup to show how it looks. One thing to note is there is a spacer bolt on the front tranny side cover stud that likes to go with the cover when I take it off. Don't have a photo that I can find of that.
IMG_3816.JPG Engine Cover Part numbers1!.JPG Engine Cover Stud locations_Pulley Side.JPG Engine Cover Stud locations_Transmission Side.JPG Engine Cover Part numbers!.JPG

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wanted to resurrect this thread, because I'm looking to do the same thing. I've got a 2016 GT and it's got the large cover with threaded studs & nuts, and want to swap over to the smaller cover with ball studs. Did a search and couldn't find a good thread that gave me part numbers and how to achieve it. That's not to say that there isn't one, but I just couldn't find it. I'm wondering how many of each ball stud I need to order. They show three, but the cover takes four, and there are varying lengths. Also the large covers are held in place with studs that look to be anchored in pretty well to the cylinder head aluminum cover. I'm guessing a nice double nut method would back the ones that need to be out off, but worry about stripping the aluminum on the way out. My back left stud won't hold the cover down anymore as the bracket to hold the Eurocompulsion intake and its nut makes the stud too short to accept the engine cover nut anymore. I'm guessing the ball stud system won't be affected by this. Pulled the below parts lists off Mopar parts website. Looks like the cover you got was depend on year and trim level. If someone could supply some photos of the ball stud setup below the cover so I have an idea of which studs go where #2 or #3 shown below. Attached my setup to show how it looks. One thing to note is there is a spacer bolt on the front tranny side cover stud that likes to go with the cover when I take it off. Don't have a photo that I can find of that.
View attachment 125776 View attachment 125777 View attachment 125778 View attachment 125779 View attachment 125774
even though it's nicer than the big cover, the cover is easily breakable since you need to force it out of the ball stud when removing. For the hpsi intake, you can use the ball stud to bolt the bracket to the valve cover.

I will edit this post with the quantity of each ball stud you need later today

update: You will need one long and three short stud. The long stud goes on bottom right corner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts