Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had my dart for a year now, and it recently started giving me this message in the dash when i come to a complete stop. "Engage park brake to prevent rolling". Its really annoying if you are in heavy traffic moving slowly because it will beep a sounf and show this message whenever you stop.

Im wondering if anyone else have had the same problem and how to fix this? There is no CEL or anything else, the car acts fine when driving, it even holds itself on a hill, so i have no idea where the issue is.

Thank you! IMG_0569.JPG

·
Registered
407 Posts
Here ya go Killer:

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Hill Start Assist Disable Procedure
Discussion:
Request to disable the Hill Start Assist, procedure to complete.
Hill Start Assist disable procedure. (if desired)
- Note vehicle roll back mitigation will not be present with this
feature disabled.
- Hill Start assist can be disabled if desired. This procedure applies
to vehicles equipped with a manual or Powertech transmission.
- Wheels must be pointed straight ahead, on a level surface.
- Automatic transmission should be in Park.
- Place manual transmission in neutral if equipped.
- Begin with the ignition off.
- Engage park brake,
- Start engine and wait for ESC OFF lamp to turn off.
- Apply brake pedal.
- Turn steering wheel 200 degrees counter clockwise, just over half
a turn from center position ). Press the "ESC off " button 4 times.
- Rotate the steering wheel back to center and continue in a clockwise
direction until 200 degrees past center.
- Turn the ignition to off position.
- If procedure was done correctly , ESC malfunction lamp will flash
This should work

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little update on the issue, today i had the car parked in a parking lot for around an hour, when i came back, turned the car on, pulled the transmission to "R", pannel showed the same message, "engage park brake to prevent rolling" and the gear indicator still showed "P". i tried every gear, with hand brake on and off, and the gear indicator would always show "P" and the car wouldnt move. After a few tries, it finally got into reverse and i was able to drive it to the dealer.

Will see what happens tomorrow.

Rchrdcranium, i tried this but it didnt work out for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sucked it up and went to the dealer and its gonna cost me $365 to replace the parking brake assembly. They should get the part Monday and after that I'll update

·
Registered
4 Posts
Parking brake assembly was replaced as well a speed/range sensor (they called it both). I spent a little over $500 and I'm very happy. They say one of the parts being bad likely caused the other to go bad. But the constant notifications are gone and my car shifts so much smoother now with the new speed sensor

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
Very interesting thread. I have never seen this issue before or this error. And i've seen some s#!* I tell you :popped out:

Curious as to what the issue exactly is and the fix. Would be annoying if it was a faulty parking brake / sensor, but by the sounds of the error that does not sound like that is the case. As for the gear not being proper, that sounds more like a TCM issue or something in the TCM acting funny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to dig up this older thread, but I am having the exact same issues. Started with the "engage parking brake" message, now intermittently it will not shift out of park when moving the shift lever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, having the EXACT same issues as everyone else. Car wont shifts into gears, etc. The dealership said my car was throwing a "Parking Switch" code. I was driving down the expressway and my car was still in "Park" one day, seriously freaked me out! Lots of parking issues with this car. Suppose to be taking it in possibly tomorrow to get fixed. Once its fixed, ill post again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is now doing the same thing and I continue to get the run around as to what the issue is. They are saying the "engage park brake" is happening because my hose to my turbo is leaking. But that it won't come out of park because of the transmission solenoid, but it was fine for a day after they fixed the shifter bushing cable that was part of a recall. I took it to another mechanic who said that they likely damaged the solenoid when they were working on it for the recall but the dealership is now saying that the cable had nothing to do with why my car wouldn't come out of park. I'm beyond fustrated with the dealership and this car!

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
The DDCT has a Park sensor. Try to reseat the connector with some silicone dielectric grease. If that does not help, replace the sensor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sucked it up and went to the dealer and its gonna cost me $365 to replace the parking brake assembly. They should get the part Monday and after that I'll update
Yikes. I feel like that's a factory defect. You should probably look a little more into it and see, cuz if it is they shouldn't have charged u for that

·
Registered
2013 Rallye 1.4L turbo DDCT
8 Posts
Same for me.
I just bought my 2013 rallye automatic 1.4l multiair turbo. My shifter will progress through R N D but the dash and lever indicator still show P and the car is actually in nuetral. It seems to happen after the car has been running for a while. It’s as though a sensor is overheating and the signal isn’t being sent to adjust the gear. The transmission bushing recall shows complete and I see the transmission selector lever under the hood move when the shifter is moved.

So after a short 2-3 mile drive, I do my shopping for 5+ minutes and come back to the car. No shifting issues. I go home and pull into the driveway and turn off the car. I open the garage and start the car. The shifter and dash won’t reflect that the shift lever is in D and the car acts like it’s in neutral but indicates it’s in P. I turn off and on the car and same issue. I turn off the car, get out and leave it for 3-5 minutes then come back. When I start it up, voila. Shifting is back to normal.

This experience seems to be repeatable. I’ve had the car for 4 days and had this happen multiple times. After letting the car “cool down” for a few minutes the shifting is back to normal.

I’ve been searching for shifter issues, stuck in P but lever moves, etc and finally sound this thread that addresses my issue. I have the same “engage parking brake” always displayed.

What is the fix for others having this issue? Which parts are suspect?

Thanks in advance. I’m happy to start a new thread if needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
When this is happening, Have a helper go through the shifts while you watch under the hood to verify that the shift cable actually moves the shifter shaft in the trans. There is also an adjustment that could be off:

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - C635 DDCT / CABLE, Shift / Adjustments

SHIFT CABLE ADJUSTMENT

1.Remove the center console.

2.Move the gearshift lever on the transaxle to the Park position.

3.Loosen the adjuster nut.

4.Verify the shift lever and transaxle are in Park position. Tighten the gearshift cable adjuster nut at the shifter assembly. The gearshift linkage should now be properly adjusted.

5.Install the center console.

6. Verify shifter operation.

If all else checks out, replace the park sensor as previously described.

Reactions: Jefffh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parking brake assembly was replaced as well a speed/range sensor (they called it both). I spent a little over $500 and I'm very happy. They say one of the parts being bad likely caused the other to go bad. But the constant notifications are gone and my car shifts so much smoother now with the new speed sensor
Did you have any more problems after fixing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same for me.
I just bought my 2013 rallye automatic 1.4l multiair turbo. My shifter will progress through R N D but the dash and lever indicator still show P and the car is actually in nuetral. It seems to happen after the car has been running for a while. It’s as though a sensor is overheating and the signal isn’t being sent to adjust the gear. The transmission bushing recall shows complete and I see the transmission selector lever under the hood move when the shifter is moved.

So after a short 2-3 mile drive, I do my shopping for 5+ minutes and come back to the car. No shifting issues. I go home and pull into the driveway and turn off the car. I open the garage and start the car. The shifter and dash won’t reflect that the shift lever is in D and the car acts like it’s in neutral but indicates it’s in P. I turn off and on the car and same issue. I turn off the car, get out and leave it for 3-5 minutes then come back. When I start it up, voila. Shifting is back to normal.

This experience seems to be repeatable. I’ve had the car for 4 days and had this happen multiple times. After letting the car “cool down” for a few minutes the shifting is back to normal.

I’ve been searching for shifter issues, stuck in P but lever moves, etc and finally sound this thread that addresses my issue. I have the same “engage parking brake” always displayed.

What is the fix for others having this issue? Which parts are suspect?

Thanks in advance. I’m happy to start a new thread if needed.
Having same trouble, were you able to fix?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to dig up this older thread, but I am having the exact same issues. Started with the "engage parking brake" message, now intermittently it will not shift out of park when moving the shift lever.
Have the same problem, were you able to get it fixed? Dealer doesn’t know.

·
Registered
2013 Rallye 1.4L turbo DDCT
8 Posts
Having same trouble, were you able to fix?
I haven’t taken the time to have it diagnosed. I’m concerned that it will be very expensive.

Reactions: Christy07w

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 limited 1.4t also having the same exact problem! At first when I would put my car in park it wouldn’t release my key fob and I would have to jiggle it or take it back and forth from drive to park to get it to release.(just had it at the dealer 3 days ago to fix the bushing recall) Then I started to get the “engaged car in park to prevent from rolling message” it comes on constantly while driving! Now every so often usually after driving somewhere then stopping my car won’t go into drive .When I first get in it goes in drive fine but the other day I stopped to put air in my tire and was stuck couldn’t get it to go into drive . After about ten minutes of going back and forth with the shifter it finally read drive and went into drive it was like it was reading park but if I let off the brake it would drift like it was in neutral . I’m beyond frustrated with this car and the constant unexplainable problems. Has anyone found out what the solution is? You would think this would be another type of recall because of how many people having this same issue!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts