Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2013 Dart SXT for practically free from a friend but it has electrical problems, doesnt start up. Dash still lights up when key inserted and turned but doesnt crank. My friend who I bought it from and is more knowledgably with cars than me, put in a new ECU, car battery and fuses attempting to fix it. He says that the keys/new keys need to be programed to the new ECU and it should work.

So I had the car towed to my local Dodge dealership to do that and the dealer says they need to take out the new ECU my friend just put in and put back the old original one, along with stock dodge fuses, battery and "approved" battery bracket retainer. lol, really? Like I said im not too knowledgeable with cars, especially car electronics/electrical systems but im pretty sure the electrons flowing through the wiring dont give a damn what kind of battery or fuse is in it lol. So when I told the Dodge rep that I just wanted to keys programmed to the new ECU he said theres only a 50/50 chance it would work and he still kept trying to tell me that all those parts (new ECU, battery, fuses) that my friend put in, would need to be taken out and stock Dodge parts put in before they can even begin troubleshooting the electrical problem.

I'm trying to determine if this dealer rep is just BSing me trying to upsell me on unnecessary parts or if they legitimately need to be replaced with stock Dodge parts.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
If it has incorrect fuses and relays with the wrong amp ratings, then perhaps the dealer is correct. It should have the correct battery hold down. PCMs are almost never the problem, so the original should at least be tried and scanned for codes. If the "new" PCM is a used one from the junkyard, it will not work because it will have the wrong programming for the keys and the wrong VIN.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts