Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Dart SXT with the 2.4l with 118000 miles. I brought my car in to the dealership a week ago to have the ECU reprogrammed for the customer satisfaction notification for the excessive amount of oil this engine consumes. The reprogramming did absolutely NOTHING! Anybody know who i can contact to let them dodge know that they need to figure out another way to satisfy their customers?

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
104 Posts
I have a 2015 Dart SXT with the 2.4l with 118000 miles. I brought my car in to the dealership a week ago to have the ECU reprogrammed for the customer satisfaction notification for the excessive amount of oil this engine consumes. The reprogramming did absolutely NOTHING! Anybody know who i can contact to let them dodge know that they need to figure out another way to satisfy their customers?
What immediate results were you expecting exactly???

·
Registered
149 Posts
How many miles did you put on your vehicle since you had the reprogram? How do you know it didn't work? Did you take a reading of the oil level before the recall, drive 1000 Miles and then take another measure of the dipstick?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did. After I drove 1,347 miles I checked my oil since the reprogram and it was a quart low and very brown. I had just did an oil change before I brought it in for the reprogram.

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
104 Posts
The immediate results I was expecting was for my car not to consume excessive amounts of oil anymore considering that what the reprogram was supposed to fix.
You drive 1300 miles in a week?? If that's the case and you still have the oil consumption issue than yes, I'd say that for you the fix didn't immediately work. Maybe give it a bit longer and for sure keep an eye on it and take lots of dipstick pictures for your dealer!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
More importantly, what fix did you think a reprogramed ECU was going to provide? Oil consumption is not an electronics problem its a mechanical problem that is a by-product of sealing the engines up so tight that no air gets out or in to keep emissions down. Look at most modern cars and you will find oil consumption is a norm, most people don't realize it because they don't maintain their own cars. I have a friend who is a BMW mechanic, their allowance is unbelievable.
after 118K just keep some extra oil and top it off after a few thousand miles. I got a new ECU under warranty at 47K, 30K later and the oil consumption has not changed a bit from the first oil change to the one 2 weeks ago

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
If the cause of your oil consumption is because you let your oil level stay low all the time, then your engine could be so worn that nothing will help. The fix adjusts how the MultiAir controls intake manifold vacuum during deceleration. Less vacuum in the cylinders means less oil getting past the piston rings and burning in the combustion cycle. Many have found the fix actually does help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have a 2014 GT. I had this recall done because I thought it should be done, even though we really don't have an issue with oil consumption. I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum ( no, this is not an Advertisement).
If you are not having any issues with oil consumption, Do Not Get This recall Done! Totally changed the car. I live in an area where winding roads and hills are the normal. The car coasts as if it was in neutral, which means using a a lot of brake and manual shifting on the 6 speed auto. It up shifts to fast and then it ends up downshifting to maintain speed. I Truly Hate it!
Fuel mileage now averages approx. 0.5 to 1 litre per 100 kilometres More. Once it's done there is no going back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 2014 GT. I had this recall done because I thought it should be done, even though we really don't have an issue with oil consumption. I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum ( no, this is not an Advertisement).
If you are not having any issues with oil consumption, Do Not Get This recall Done! Totally changed the car. I live in an area where winding roads and hills are the normal. The car coasts as if it was in neutral, which means using a a lot of brake and manual shifting on the 6 speed auto. It up shifts to fast and then it ends up downshifting to maintain speed. I Truly Hate it!
Fuel mileage now averages approx. 0.5 to 1 litre per 100 kilometres More. Once it's done there is no going back.
hmmmm thank you for this reply I'm starting to figure out what the flash might possibly have changed. from what I'm reading send like changed to the O2 sensors for calibrations at different elevations above sea level. I'll be getting into the ECU soon to see what's programed in the maps

·
Registered
23 Posts
hmmmm thank you for this reply I'm starting to figure out what the flash might possibly have changed. from what I'm reading send like changed to the O2 sensors for calibrations at different elevations above sea level. I'll be getting into the ECU soon to see what's programed in the maps
If you car is working fine, don't touch it. Our car is better now. You have to drive it like you stole it, when taking off from a light etc. ( take it through it's gears) it will come back, it's learning to shift smother and up/down shifts are a lot better. Fuel mileage is almost back to normal. One thing will not change is the free wheeling. you can coast for ever, not good. Sounds good, but you are on the brake a heck of a lot more. The re-programing has something to do with Multi-Air system, which is the opening and closing of the computer controlled valves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts