Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing the normal bolt on mods my next step is some kind of tune/ecu. I was thinking this is my daily driver and up until now I've been running 87 octane which is $2.90 a gallon currently. But, all the tunes require 91+ octane which is $3.50 a gallon here. I have E85 readily available in my area so I was thinking it would be a better option for me since pump 93 is $3.50 a gallon and E85 is much higher octane for ~$2.50 a gallon currently. I know fuel mileage will be less, but I think in the long run nearly $1 a gallon I'll save money and possibly have better performance anyway.
I know I'll need to change my injectors, which is fine, but my real question is what is available and does anyone do E85 tunes at all? Been looking at all the vendors and I don't see anything like that. I found the someone selling the injectors that would be needed to compensate for E85 but they are meant for a stock tune and thats not really what I was looking for because I'm figuring I would lose a lot of MPG just going to E85 on the stock tune but with a better tune I might not lose as much.

Just figuring the math, and guessing at MPG is seems I would save money overall if I can run E85. I get about 30mpg now average, at 3.50 per gallon it would cost $46.67 in gas to go 400 miles. Figuring 25mpg on E85, it would only cost $40 to go 400 miles. Thats total speculation on the MPG, I really don't know what I'd get but I could get as low as 22mpg and still be the same as pump 93 but should have better performance than it so I still make out better on E85 no matter how you slice it (other than range on my tank but that doesn't bother me too much).

·
Premium Member
847 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/latest-dodge-dart-products/products/euro-drive-tuning-system-dodge-dart-1-4l

If you ask they should be able to do a E85 tune. I think I remember them doing this, but they may have stopped due to low demand.
It shows that they have E85 tunes, but dang thats a steep price tag and I'm sure it'll cost even more for the custom tune plus then I have to buy injectors.

I think @yodamusic has an E85 tune for his 1.4T Dart from Syked. He has a heavily modified car and definitely one of the higher horsepower builds on the forums. As a bonus, it's a fire-breather. As far as I know, its the only E85 performance build on the forums, and he doesn't come around much anymore.
Hmm, thanks. I'll email syked and see if they will still do an E85 tune.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It shows that they have E85 tunes, but dang thats a steep price tag and I'm sure it'll cost even more for the custom tune plus then I have to buy injectors.

Hmm, thanks. I'll email syked and see if they will still do an E85 tune.
Yes - you will absolutely need injectors, although it will run just fine with injectors, alone, and no tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes - you will absolutely need injectors, although it will run just fine with injectors, alone, and no tune.
Oh I know I'll need injectors for any E85 tune, but just saying that adding everything up now you're talking $1500+ to do it most likely.

I know I can run just the injectors and no tune, but thats not really any benefit. I want more power than stock without having to run high test gas because this is my daily driver. Basically I feel an E85 tune will be the best of both worlds, cheap gas and should make more power than pump 93 too. But I didn't really want to spend 1500 to do it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You will get "some" more power even without a tune. The ECU is fairly adaptive and will retard timing to deal with lower octane fuel. Likewise, it will sense a lack of spark-knock and advance it somewhat. I typically run E30 in the summer, and E10 in the winter in my Dart (with no aftermarket injectors). I've never hit a lean code.

My 124 Spider is set up to run 50/50 EtOH / gasoline, and I've installed a custom high-pressure fuel pump module into it. Still on OE injectors. The 550cc so-called E85 injectors are a bit steep if you want to be able to go back and forth between blends.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Anyone know the part number for those ATP E85 injectors? Trying to do some research they appear to be bosch injectors, and I thing they are part number 0280158279 or 0280158117 but I need to be sure. One is long body length and one is standard length, which do the darts take?

Looking to see if I can find them cheaper somewhere else, $400 for 4 injectors is pretty steep.

Found this, 1/2 the price, but are they the same listed on eurocompulsion?-

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35459203-genuine-bosch-ev1-ev14-52lb-550cc-fuel-injectors-0280158117-set-of-4.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGid4_DTDhogxcXpQCaKjPWveLe4tCBhnkFQyT4_cuDzYWci_pCO6xd4aAgTmEALw_wcB

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
Anyone know the part number for those ATP E85 injectors? Trying to do some research they appear to be bosch injectors, and I thing they are part number 0280158279 or 0280158117 but I need to be sure. One is long body length and one is standard length, which do the darts take?

Looking to see if I can find them cheaper somewhere else, $400 for 4 injectors is pretty steep.

Found this, 1/2 the price, but are they the same listed on eurocompulsion?-

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35459203-genuine-bosch-ev1-ev14-52lb-550cc-fuel-injectors-0280158117-set-of-4.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGid4_DTDhogxcXpQCaKjPWveLe4tCBhnkFQyT4_cuDzYWci_pCO6xd4aAgTmEALw_wcB
Unfortunately everything on this platform is pretty steep. I am not sure what car you came from before this, but since this engine does not have the very very large market for lets say some import cars, prices are going to be quite a bit higher. There just is not demand. Especially in this niche market of the 1.4t. The dart is discontinued, and the only other cars that uses this engine and people would actually want to tune is the Fiats. Sure the Abarth community are pretty much all performance oriented, but it's still not a large enough market where you could get a tune for lets say $500 or less. There also are very very few people that can actually crack this ECU and tune it. Adding to the difficulty and R&D, which ultimately comes back on the consumer.

EC carries everything you might need, but can be on the higher end of price. https://www.modernperformance.com/category/13-16-dart also has Dart parts, but it looks like it does not have the injectors you are looking for. Some of the other users might be able to assist on getting you the correct part numbers and narrowing down your search to find them better priced. I am sure they are out there for lower, it will just take some looking. So good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I actually came from the 80's turbo dodge cars, and that is a very small market and very few vendors as well. But, one thing I've noticed, they take parts meant for other cars, found out they work on ours, and mark the price way up because they did the R&D. Like these injectors, I'm pretty sure one of the part numbers I listed is the correct injector, which I can get for 1/2 or less than the cost that eurocompulsion has them listed at.....but I just need to know from someone that has purchased those injectors the part number on the side of them unless they scratch it off so you don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts