Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Does your Dart have the dual dry clutch transmission (DDCT)? Have you been having problems that don't necessarily appear to be obvious transmission problems? Even if you or your dealer can't figure out what's going on, Dodge sure as hell knows about it and isn't doing jack squat to loyal Dodge customers.

The DDCT is the source of many problems Dart owners are having, but the symptoms often appear to be anything other than transmission related. Around 18k, my 2013 1.4L Turbo Ltd. stopped running in the middle of the freeway, wouldn't start, displayed all sorts of whacky warning messages, and then the transmission shifted like crap afterwards. It happened three times, and I had to limp into the service bay each time. On the third trip - and to a different Dodge dealer - they finally figured out it was the hydraulic actuator that controls shifting in the DDCT. It was replaced. Now, at 56k, my whole transmission went out because of the same problem, and it is currently being replaced with a brand new transmission. Dodge has tried to address known problems with awkward shifting, stalls, uncontrolled engine revving, etc. with firmware updates to the transmission control module (TCM). However, none of it appears to be working - and likely because it is a design flaw and not a software problem.

There is a class action lawsuit underway in California - see 2013 2014 Dodge Dart Problems Include Transmission, Hydraulic Clutch System - but not sure if it will go anywhere. The link (albeit from lemon law attorneys shopping for clients) also has some good background on the issues.

PS - Even though Dodge is putting a brand new transmission in my car, they are currently saying they won't extend the 60k powertrain warranty to cover it. Nice customer service. I like the car, but I do not love Dodge anymore and I hate the DDCT. I'll be trading it in and getting something else ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
The DDCT is the source of many problems Dart owners are having, but the symptoms often appear to be anything other than transmission related. Around 18k, my 2013 1.4L Turbo Ltd. stopped running in the middle of the freeway, wouldn't start, displayed all sorts of whacky warning messages, and then the transmission shifted like crap afterwards. It happened three times, and I had to limp into the service bay each time. On the third trip - and to a different Dodge dealer - they finally figured out it was the hydraulic actuator that controls shifting in the DDCT. It was replaced. Now, at 56k, my whole transmission went out because of the same problem, and it is currently being replaced with a brand new transmission. Dodge has tried to address known problems with awkward shifting, stalls, uncontrolled engine revving, etc. with firmware updates to the transmission control module (TCM). However, none of it appears to be working - and likely because it is a design flaw and not a software problem.
Sorry that your actual transmission is having issues. I honestly have not heard too many issues regarding an actual physical problem with the transmission. I have heard dozens of dozens of issues with the DDCT, but it was mainly regarding the TCM issue that plagued them all. After their last TCM full on recall on everything single DDCT, the issues have seemed to subsided and the common complaints and "service transmission" issues have almost become non existent on all the fronts that the Dart community is on (Facebook, the .org. ).

PS - Even though Dodge is putting a brand new transmission in my car, they are currently saying they won't extend the 60k powertrain warranty to cover it. Nice customer service. I like the car, but I do not love Dodge anymore and I hate the DDCT. I'll be trading it in and getting something else ASAP.
Sorry to hear this as well. But be informed that the 2013 Dodge Dart has a 100k powertrain warranty, not 60k. You may have searched up info on it and found that, but that only regards to the 2016 and beyond Darts and other Dodge vehicles. That's when they shortened it. So if you're under 100k and telling you you're "out of the power train warranty", then they are dead wrong. At that point you should get them to say that in writing, then sue the crap out of them.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
Does your Dart have the dual dry clutch transmission (DDCT)? Have you been having problems that don't necessarily appear to be obvious transmission problems? Even if you or your dealer can't figure out what's going on, Dodge sure as hell knows about it and isn't doing jack squat to loyal Dodge customers.

There is a class action lawsuit underway in California - see 2013 2014 Dodge Dart Problems Include Transmission, Hydraulic Clutch System - but not sure if it will go anywhere. The link (albeit from lemon law attorneys shopping for clients) also has some good background on the issues.

I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles with the DDCT, but very few people on this forum have ever reported having actual mechanical issues with it. I'm trying to think of anybody else who has had one replaced because of mechanical difficulties. I think @PeterSteele did, but he appears to be having electrical/electronic issues that are causing the transmission to kill itself. You may have a bad transmission. It may have even been misdiagnosed as a bad hydraulic actuator. Firmware updates may have made no difference. However, all that means is that the transmission in your car is potentially defective. It doesn't mean that there is a design flaw.

As for the "class action lawsuit" you mentioned, not only will it not go anywhere, it was voluntarily dismissed in 2015. The fact that lawyers are still using it as bait to drum up business only proves that some lawyers are scummy trolls.

The reality is that most of the issues with the DDCT were caused by TCM failures. Since the recall campaign (R42) to replace the TCM mounting bracket and install a new TCM, DDCT-related complaints have gone way down on this site.

Also, as already noted, for vehicles sold in the United States, the powertrain warranty on 2013 Dodge vehicles is 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. A failed transmission should definitely be 100% covered.

·
Registered
261 Posts
@jsblanch - thanks for the call-out. I might have missed this otherwise.
@kbomb - What's the build date on your car? I'm kinda curious how close it is to mine...

My car has good days and bad days, transmission-wise. I have about 2k miles now on my replacement transmission, and it's exhibiting the same issues that led to it failing the first time around. I do think, though, as jsblanch said, that it's computer issues causing it. (My car has intermittent comms errors between the TCM and ABS / PCM / SCCM.) On good days, it's silky smooth and just a joy to drive. On the rest of the days? In the ~2k miles on this new transmission, the TCM has already logged several minutes of overheated clutch, multiple failures to engage gears, an UNEXPECTED gear engagement, and a variety of other fun stuff.

Of course, according to the owner of the dealership, I'm just imagining it. And now it's been almost 2 weeks since I've been able to even get Chrysler to talk to me. So, hey- few more days, then it'll be time to start with the lawyers. Which sucks, because I like this car, and I firmly believe that it could be fixed with minimal fuss, if they'd just look in the right place.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
Wow cant even escape the clutch problems these cars have by getting an automatic. Not good.
The 2.4l does not use the DDCT. Only the 1.4t uses the DDCT, and 99% of the issues were due to the Transmission Control Module not being programmed properly, and the bracket for it being faulty. An entire recall was made on them, and ever since then, these DDCT posts have dwindled dramatically. There will still always be some issues, but i know people with 100k+ miles on their darts. And guess what? MOST of them are actually the DDCT.

These types of transmissions get a bad rap in the economy car segment. People expect a traditional auto transmission (like what's in the 2.4 and 2.0) but instead they get a literal manual transmission. It will roll back, it will be a little clunky in low speed shifts, it will be loud and mechanical sounding. It's literally a manual transmission that is automated. The Ford Focus and Fiesta have or had these in them as well and they were TERRIBLE! I had a Fiesta for a rental and it was god awful. The Dart DDCT was a dream compared to those horrendous nightmares of a transmission.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thats good to hear. Sometimes its tough reading these forums because many people sign on just to complain.
I spend a fair amount of time complaining about the problems I have with my Dart, and yes, I've had my transmission replaced under warranty and I'm having problems with the new one as well, but it's not the transmission's fault. Every single case that I've heard of where the DDCT has failed in the Dart, it's been due to computer problems, not the transmission itself. The issue with my car probably isn't even in the TCM so much as in the communications between TCM/PCM/BCM/ABS.

The transmission itself is really slick, the gearing is perfect for the engine and car, and when the stars and planets are in alignment and all the computers in my car are happy, it's easily the nicest powertrain I've ever had in a car. I enjoy driving it, on those days. The shifts can be so smooth and so fast that you don't even notice that you've shifted, unless you're looking at the needle on the tachometer.

... of course, the rest of the days, those are a factor as well. A big factor.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
Thats good to hear. Sometimes its tough reading these forums because many people sign on just to complain.
I don't so much mind people complaining when they have a problem, especially if they ask for help. What really grinds my gears (pun intended) is when issues are grossly misrepresented, like the original post in this thread. There was a recall to address TCM failures caused by a bad mounting bracket design, and that has seems to solve almost all DDCT-related issues (which previously had almost always been corrected by replacing the TCM). Not many people have actually had a DDCT replaced in their car. The OP appears to have suffered two hydraulic actuator failures, which is unfortunate, and could damage the transmission. But it's also not a common problem, and unlikely to be a "design flaw". Many of the issues that he noted in his red highlighted text were indeed already identified as a design flaw, but not of the DDCT or the TCM itself. They were caused by the TCM mounting bracket, which could in turn damage the TCM. FCA initiated a safety recall campaign and literally replaced every TCM and TCM mounting bracket installed in a Dart up to the point they started using the revised bracket design.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a lot to complain about. I sold my Dart and bought an Audi. Never happier! I know Dodge makes great vehicles, and the Dart...any Dart, without the DDCT is one of them.
@PeterSteele - I don't recall the build date. I bought it in December of 2013.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
There was a lot to complain about. I sold my Dart and bought an Audi. Never happier! I know Dodge makes great vehicles, and the Dart...any Dart, without the DDCT is one of them.

sorry the dart didnt work out for you, the 2013's seem to be the most troublesome years. hopefully the Audi is a better fit for you, just watch out for the $$$ electrical gremlins in those German cars. i am down in Denver btw...

·
Registered
261 Posts

@kbomb: Roger that. It was later than mine, most likely. Incidentally, it seems likely that my transmission problems may have, in the end, actually had nothing to do with the transmission itself or even the TCM. A whole different module had a ground that was covered in primer, and never worked right from the beginning. In the end, it pretty much failed completely and just flooded the system with gibberish to the point where nothing worked right. That was finally replaced a couple weeks ago, and now my car has been behaving rather well, for the most part.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
To get any Chrysler recall info, go to this link, click on "Recall VIN Search" and enter the VIN.
Dodge - Contact Us

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
How can i tell if the 2015 needs this recall performed?
It doesn't. The recall only applied to 2013 and some (but I think not all) of the 2014 cars.
The TCM recall (recall number R42) affects all 2013 to 2015 Darts equipped with DDCTs built from February 24, 2012 up to and including June 16, 2015. Get your VIN number and go to this site:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls.html

If your car was affected by the recall, it will be listed here as either outstanding or will provide the date the correction was performed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The TCM recall (recall number R42) affects all 2013 to 2015 Darts equipped with DDCTs built from February 24, 2012 up to and including June 16, 2015. Get your VIN number and go to this site:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls.html

If your car was affected by the recall, it will be listed here as either outstanding or will provide the date the correction was performed.

Well, I stand corrected! I did not realize how late the defect was present.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2.4l does not use the DDCT. Only the 1.4t uses the DDCT, and 99% of the issues were due to the Transmission Control Module not being programmed properly, and the bracket for it being faulty. An entire recall was made on them, and ever since then, these DDCT posts have dwindled dramatically. There will still always be some issues, but i know people with 100k+ miles on their darts. And guess what? MOST of them are actually the DDCT.

These types of transmissions get a bad rap in the economy car segment. People expect a traditional auto transmission (like what's in the 2.4 and 2.0) but instead they get a literal manual transmission. It will roll back, it will be a little clunky in low speed shifts, it will be loud and mechanical sounding. It's literally a manual transmission that is automated. The Ford Focus and Fiesta have or had these in them as well and they were TERRIBLE! I had a Fiesta for a rental and it was god awful. The Dart DDCT was a dream compared to those horrendous nightmares of a transmission.
I have had nothing but problem after problem with my transmission and it has nothing to do with TCM. my car ha been in the shop a total of 442 days within the 5 years I have owned it. And BTW the class action lawsuit did go somewhere and was approved oct 22 2019.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
I have had nothing but problem after problem with my transmission and it has nothing to do with TCM. my car ha been in the shop a total of 442 days within the 5 years I have owned it. And BTW the class action lawsuit did go somewhere and was approved oct 22 2019.
Awesome do you have any idea on what was approved and where it went?

Also what issues are you having with your car? You said it had nothing to do with the TCM, so what are the issues and what has been the reason it's been in the shop for that long?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts