Dodge Dart Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I just got a CEL and message "Auto Stick not responding" ('13 w/63k)... the transmission was not shifting as it should (very late to up or down shift, or not shifting at all)... if I accelerated slowly, and eased off the gas about when it should upshift, it would, then smoothly back on the gas to avoid a potential downshift... after shutdown and restart, it behaved fine, but the CEL and a "Service Transmission" remains.
Will see what the dealership has to say after power returns, post hurricane IRMA.

My shop guy seems to think there is a recall for TCM replacement, separate and after the TCM bracket recall, but the main FCA dealer service line says nothing after the bracket recall.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

TiA,
If you haven't had the recall done for the TCM and mounting bracket replacement, that should be your first course of action. This is almost certainly a TCM-related issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As an update; on the next start, I momentarily got a "low oil pressure" warning (oil levels are OK), but no other warnings/lights.
All subsequent starts have had no warnings or lights, and it has driven just fine.
The dealership is still not open, so I'm still waiting on their take on it.

As an unrelated side note; once every 3-6 months I get a random "Service Airbag System" warning, which then goes away (usually after hitting a bump).

·
Registered
224 Posts
It took a week to get an appointment at the dealership... then a week for them to get to it after they had it.

The report said they couldn't replicate the issue, but the scan showed problems with shift sensor#2.
They replaced that under warranty, but charged a $150 diagnostics fee, and $10 shop supplies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This morning I hit my breaking point with this TCM crap. Open recall for my car. I've known about it. Havent gotten it fixed (I know, for shame). Wouldn't start this morning while all gear lights on trans were RED. Let it sit for a minute and started up fine. "Service transmission" is on display. Taking it to the dealership on Wednesday next week.

Has anybody managed to get this completely fixed? I hate dealing with this stuff and only trust one shop near me and it is NOT a dealership.

2013 1.4 with about 47,000 miles

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have 2015 aero ddct and just happened to me smoking and burning smell after sitting too long in drivethru with car in drive..... Then fell out of gear momentarily in the parking lot. Feq times....then acted normal.... Then didnt happen again after that... But i had the recall r42 done a week later. Asked them to check car but of course cant duplicate the problem. Do u think any damage was done??
Maybe it reduced the life of a clutch somewhat, but it really doesn't matter. As long as it is functioning normally now, there is no chance you'll get anywhere with FCA or the dealership. Also, were you creeping the car forward a lot? I've noticed that the C635 DDCT does a good job of simulating being able to creep like with a normal automatic, but I imagine it does so by slipping the 1-3-5-R clutch without mercy.
Btw no more prob after tcm replaced on the recall. I dont think its the bracket per se i think they replace the tcm but either way it works. And i know what u mean with that slipping the ckutch

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
This morning I hit my breaking point with this TCM crap. Open recall for my car. I've known about it. Havent gotten it fixed (I know, for shame). Wouldn't start this morning while all gear lights on trans were RED. Let it sit for a minute and started up fine. "Service transmission" is on display. Taking it to the dealership on Wednesday next week.

Has anybody managed to get this completely fixed? I hate dealing with this stuff and only trust one shop near me and it is NOT a dealership.

2013 1.4 with about 47,000 miles
I had the TCM and bracket replaced and have had no problems since

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Btw no more prob after tcm replaced on the recall. I dont think its the bracket per se i think they replace the tcm but either way it works. And i know what u mean with that slipping the ckutch
They replace both with the recall. That bracket is what was causing the TCM to fail. It allowed the circuit board to flex excessively, which caused soldered connections to crack, which could cause a number of different symptoms, from fail-safe modes to completely dropping out of gear, to a "Service Transmission" error without symptoms, to just overall terrible performance. The reason they replace the TCM is that even if you haven't had any problems and your transmission is shifting perfectly fine (as was the case with my car), there's no guarantee that the TCM doesn't have damaged solder that is going to suddenly fail at a future date. Since that is considered an inherent safety defect, they really have no choice but to put a brand new TCM in when they replace the bracket.

That's good to hear. You get kinda scared reading through some of these threads. Some people with darts I have talked to just seem cursed when it comes to car ownership lol.
Yeah, some people have definitely had some bad times with their Darts, unfortunately. However, I think that most people have had reasonably good experiences with their Darts, regardless of the drivetrain. The DDCT was looking like it was going to go down as a huge loser of a transmission, but it turns out that they were almost all caused by a poorly designed $5 mounting bracket. Since the recall, very few 1.4T DDCT owners have been reporting drivetrain-related issues, so there's good reason to be optimistic that those of us with that drivetrain need not worry too much about what will go wrong. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
@jsblanch that helps me out a lot. I was afraid that these issues would create problems for the transmission in the future. At this point though not much I can do but wait and see. Car is fine otherwise besides that message. First gear seems to slip a little when it shifts to second. Like it shifts and revs up more than it needs to. Weird... but not a huge concern at the moment. Hopefully that is related to the TCM and Bracket and will get fixed with this visit.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I had the TCM and bracket replaced and have had no problems since

ERRRRRRRR!!!!! I don't get it! I have had almost no trouble with my Dart. My son, who also owns a '13 Dart 1.4 DDCT (bought new, mine was pre-owned), has had numerous problems. He told me yesterday that his check engine light came on again and the car is shifting unusually. :disappointed:

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
ERRRRRRRR!!!!! I don't get it! I have had almost no trouble with my Dart. My son, who also owns a '13 Dart 1.4 DDCT (bought new, mine was pre-owned), has had numerous problems. He told me yesterday that his check engine light came on again and the car is shifting unusually. :disappointed:
It seems to be very hit-or-miss when it comes to the Dart. Mine has never had any problems, really. All the warranty work has been for very minor things. The worst problem it had was ironically when they tried to replace the TCM as part of the recall, the first one the dealership got was an out-of-box failure that wouldn't take a program. And the biggest problem with that was that the only FCA vehicles the rental agency had for me were Fiat 500s. Whenever I see one of the road I always wonder that somebody actually bought it on purpose. Let's just say that I think it's a terrible car with zero redeeming features and leave it at that. Back to the Dart, the other issues I've had were mostly new model teething issues like the warped fuel filler door that plagues the 2013 model year, the bad o-ring on the oil separator (which is a poor design), and the creaking front struts due to the inadequate or incorrect lubrication from the factory. All of these are pretty much ubiquitous issues with 2013 Darts, but I've to date avoided some of the other relatively common early issues like the dreaded P0299 underboost issues and actual TCM issues.

·
Registered
738 Posts
108,000 miles. Started with noise from the engine compartment. It sounded like a handful of forks thrown into a garbage disposal. Dealership #1 opened the hood and said it was an alternator bearing and they could not look at it for a week but it should be good to drive. 2 days later no forward power, garbage disposal sound constant. Cannot put the car in neutral without using the manual disengage under the shifter. Towed to dealership #2. Roadside assistance "verified" dealer #2 was open Saturday afternoon. Dispatched a tow truck driver from 43 miles away in another state. Tow truck driver took another call before coming to get the lemon so instead of the 1 hour promised wait it was 3 hours. Arrive at dealership #2 and they look at me and said no one had called and that the service department had closed at 2pm as always. No loaner cars to be found. I had a very helpful manager send a salesperson to take me to the car rental agency. Office #1 was closed, so we went to the airport counter. Awesome Enterprise rental associate took care of my daughter and myself and put us in a 2018 Nissan Altima. Awesome ride. Monday I talked to the service department and they told me it would cost $1200 to tear down the transmission and I would pay that if Dodge did not cover it in the lifetime no deductible warranty that Dodge gave me due to all kinds of issues. 4 days later and Dodge looked at the shrapnel and stated the transmission was bad and covered!!! SWEET. Now to wait on the parts to replace it. Now I will look to get rid of my new pain before 25,000 miles more and a possible transmission failure.

Things I learned is that after 100,000 miles even extended warranty does NOT cover rental cars for covered repairs
Garbage disposal sounds from under the hood are BAD
If a lawyer tells you you are covered under a lemon lawsuit and they would buy your car back at 90% value, DO IT!
If the CEO of a company states their product is crap and cannot stand by it, then you do not stand by it!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts