Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Dodge Dart Rallye with a 1.4L multiair turbo engine and the automatic dual dry clutch on April 18th of this year. It has been an amazing car to me, I traded in my Jeep Wrangler Sahara due to gas mileage issues. This car has been great on fuel and fun to drive. I use it lots and planned a trip home from New Brunswick to Ontario, however, before I left there was a recall on the Transmission Module stating that some cars were stalling so I had the recall fixed before I left to ensure no problems. I drove to Ontario with no problems, all 1800 km's and got incredible fuel mileage. But on September 5th, I was on my way to lunch, left the parking lot and stopped at a stop sign, when i went to accelerate, the car began to roll backwards as if it were in neutral. It began stalling so i rolled it to the side of the road and the "Service Transmission" light came on. I call Chrysler Roadside Assistance and they were very helpful, I was in Barrie, ON and they had a tow truck there within 20 mintues that brought me to a nearby dealer. I explained the situation and began to wait. After 5 hours they were done, they told me they were not sure what was wrong but that the codes were all messed up so they reset all of the codes, made not of it on my file and said they had tested the car and everything was good to go and I would have no problems. I left Ontario on the evening of September 7th and drove all night back to New Brunswick. Returning home, the car hit 17,500km on the odometer. I parked in the driveway and did not use the car until the next morning. I went to leave, got to the end of my street, pulled out onto a major road and the car jumped out of gear and began flashing "gear not available" I was able to pull of the road, shut off the car and restart it and get back to my driveway. I called Chrysler again and they sent another tow truck. They brought me to the dealer I had purchased the car from, I explained what had happened 4 days earlier in Barrie and they said they would call me. They ended up giving me a rental that evening and then called me on the Tuesday. They stated that besides the transmission problem, one of my hydraulic pumps had failed and my car, my brand new car was leaking oil. They said the part wouldn't arrive until Friday and it was a 6 hour job so just stay in the rental and they will call me when they are done. Flash forward to this past Tuesday, I had not heard anything from the deraler, so on my way home from work I stopped in to find out what was happening. The service manager came out and explained to me that the dealership and Chrysler had not heard of a problem like this and aren't sure what is wrong. They removed my transmission, and worked with Chrysler engineers to reset all of the components back to factory settings. They put the transmission back in Tuesday and it did not work. So now they are waiting on Chrysler to figure out a solution to the problem. Luckily my rental is a 2014 Dodge Charger... I am starting to wonder if I should have bought one of those instead. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or heard of this happening with a 2013 Dodge Dart.

Thanks for listening to my lengthy story..
dart.jpg

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Its a shame your having those issues. However many people here that made the error of buying the ddct are having the same issue. Some have had the trans and components completely replaced. Some filed for lemon law. Seems to happening around the mileage your at too. I would only assume those who had everything replaced are trouble free, at least until they drive another 12-16,000 miles.
@KrazyBeautiful has been with out her car for over a month and its been in and out of the shop its entire life for this issue. Maybe she can help. Also check other threads. There are numerous ones on this very problem.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ranger08, I feel for you. I have a limited with the 1.4 ddct and just turned 3.4k miles. It has been problem free. I am really hoping I got a good one. I followed the site and read good & bad reviews before I bought (Jun 28, 2013). I hope mine is late enough into the year that they fixed all the initial issues. Time will tell. Please keep us posted as we really want to know how the problems are resolved.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This may not help but I had the same issue.with mine but it had a blot that got embedded into the trans..... they replaced the transmission abs I was good to go so far

·
Registered
398 Posts
over 16k miles on mine. I used to have the problem where you go to give it some gas but it would almost be like it's in neutral and then SLAM into gear. but that was fixed with an update. I haven't had any problems since. Does anybody else's transmission make a noise when you go from park to reverse or park to drive? I know these transmissions are generally louder than others, but I was just curious if I should let them know next time I go in for an oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO I have the car back. Since Monday. It is running however my engine light came back on within an hour of getting it back from the dealer. It seems to be running alright, I just noticed that to get the car going from a stop, without slamming on the gas but a regular acceleration, the rpm's seem to climb pretty high before it shifts. Like say, leaving a stop sign. I press the gas normally and the rpm's climb to around 3500 - 4500 and then it will hold there for a few seconds and then shift.. I dont remember it doing that before. Also, on the highway, to accelerate, it revs up to about 5000-5500 RPM before it will shift. and the other day, it didnt shift, I had to let off the gas and once the rpm's dropped to about 4500, it shifted up.... Also I hear a knocking noise when I come to a stop. Like you can hear it shifting back to first. And I can hear it when going through a drive-thru. as I am moving I can hear knocking and other noises...

But anyways, here are the work orders.. The first is from the first time it happened, when I was on vacation. And the second two are from my dealership here in Moncton, they made 2 repair orders in the two weeks they had the car.. hope it helps someone else out there!

Work Order - Barrie.JPG

Work Order #1 - Moncton.JPG

Work Order #2 - Moncton.JPG

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
SO, I just noticed that to get the car going from a stop, without slamming on the gas but a regular acceleration, the rpm's seem to climb pretty high before it shifts. Like say, leaving a stop sign. I press the gas normally and the rpm's climb to around 3500 - 4500 and then it will hold there for a few seconds and then shift.. I dont remember it doing that before. Also, on the highway, to accelerate, it revs up to about 5000-5500 RPM before it will shift.
This might be the flash that "improved transmission" shift points

My "Service transmission" came on tonight when I left somewhere, and I noticed when it shifts it was holding the gas a bit longer than it normally does where as if I was driving a manual transmission and pushed the clutch before releasing the gas. Then, when I got home, I shut it off and it wouldn't turn back on! Was making some wacky noise and my blind spot monitor light was flashing and my traction control light was on. It wouldn't turn on till I used the remote start to turn it on and even that was different than it should of been.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This might be the flash that "improved transmission" shift points

My "Service transmission" came on tonight when I left somewhere, and I noticed when it shifts it was holding the gas a bit longer than it normally does where as if I was driving a manual transmission and pushed the clutch before releasing the gas. Then, when I got home, I shut it off and it wouldn't turn back on! Was making some wacky noise and my blind spot monitor light was flashing and my traction control light was on. It wouldn't turn on till I used the remote start to turn it on and even that was different than it should of been.
Same same here.....started about a week ago...the higher rev without actually shifting into the next gear. Service Transmission message on for 3 days....finally go to take it in.....message was gone and they cannot find it anywhere in the computer of any message, and its "driving fine" for us.......it had done so well this past month since the trans flash was done....next time, i'll be rolling it right into the dealer without shutting it off so they can actually see the message. Will take a pic of it as well.....grrrrrrr

·
Registered
398 Posts
Keep in mind guys, if you've recently taken your car in to the dealer for updates, oil change.. etc. etc. They reflashed the transmission to shift at 4000 RPMs instead of like.. 3500 or 3000. I like the way it drives now, it's got a little more get up and go and I find it's not struggling when shifting to 3rd any more.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Same same here.....started about a week ago...the higher rev without actually shifting into the next gear. Service Transmission message on for 3 days....finally go to take it in.....message was gone and they cannot find it anywhere in the computer of any message, and its "driving fine" for us.......it had done so well this past month since the trans flash was done....next time, i'll be rolling it right into the dealer without shutting it off so they can actually see the message. Will take a pic of it as well.....grrrrrrr
I took videos and pictures when it happened.
I took it in and they "fixed it", said it was a problem with the recall they had done. Ya, ok. Then two days later it came on then went away when I turned the car back on. Makes no sense

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
unscramble,

Sorry yo hear you are having similar issues.
I would certainly advise against driving your vehicle for 3 days after the service transmission light comes on as this can lead to long term issues.
Good thinking on bringing your Dart to your dealer immediately, may give them a better chance to determine any issues if for example it's intermittent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
unscramble,

Sorry yo hear you are having similar issues.
I would certainly advise against driving your vehicle for 3 days after the service transmission light comes on as this can lead to long term issues.
Good thinking on bringing your Dart to your dealer immediately, may give them a better chance to determine any issues if for example it's intermittent.
so this morning, the car barely started...grinding noise (starter) and sounding like the battery was almost dead...FML

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
so this morning, the car barely started...grinding noise (starter) and sounding like the battery was almost dead...FML
unscramble,

At this point, I would recommend having your Dart towed to your dealer. I would also bring this to the attention of the Service Manager as he/she should be involved in resolving the issues you are experiencing.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
So two days after I got mine fixed, the service trans came on again but it went away after I stopped and shut the car off, that was last week. Today, I was over in the states and stopped for gas. Shut the car off then tried to push the button again to keep the radio going for my gf, no dice. The traction control and the trans light are on (service transmission message not displayed), and in the 7inch TFT is displaying "blind spot alert unavailable, service required." The radio won't come on and al my gears display red and the key is set at "run" but it won't turn on. So I get out and fill it up gas, start up and drive away. Stopped at 3 other places, then on the way home coming back to the boarder I got pulled over for a random search and it happened again when they were in my car. The trunk wouldn't open via remote, interior button or exterior button. The car was set to run at this Time and all the same lights were on. I shut it off and waited 2 minutes, opened the trunk with my key, then a minute later started it up and drove away. Wtf?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So two days after I got mine fixed, the service trans came on again but it went away after I stopped and shut the car off, that was last week. Today, I was over in the states and stopped for gas. Shut the car off then tried to push the button again to keep the radio going for my gf, no dice. The traction control and the trans light are on (service transmission message not displayed), and in the 7inch TFT is displaying "blind spot alert unavailable, service required." The radio won't come on and al my gears display red and the key is set at "run" but it won't turn on. So I get out and fill it up gas, start up and drive away. Stopped at 3 other places, then on the way home coming back to the boarder I got pulled over for a random search and it happened again when they were in my car. The trunk wouldn't open via remote, interior button or exterior button. The car was set to run at this Time and all the same lights were on. I shut it off and waited 2 minutes, opened the trunk with my key, then a minute later started it up and drove away. Wtf?
pitajr,

This sounds like a strange set of issues.
As unfortunate as this is, there is a positive. As this problem is clearly more frequent than intermittent, your DLR should be able to identify the issue quite easily.
Pretty Boy Floyd brings up a good point as well, try to capture this on video in case you cannot reproduce this for your dealer.
Keep us posted if possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pitajr,

Your last post outlines exactly the issues with which I've been living for the past week and a half. Given that I just paid the THIRD payment, and the car has fewer than 9k miles on it, I'm less than impressed. This is even more true when my dealers service department told me that they'll have to have the car for an entire day just to perform the initial diag.

Later this week, I'm taking it in to the dealer, and will share my outcome. Perhaps if we pool our experiences, we, as owners, can find a quicker solution to this vexing issue. My main point in sharing is that there are several of us experiencing very similar issues, yet the dealers all seem to feel that it's a "one off" problem. We know better, and we need to be sure to let Dodge know it too.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts