Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i know the automatic now has a dual dry clutch...any word on the manual 6 speed having dual clutches?? thatd be...pretty clutch lol
Just to be clear, there is an automatic, and there is a DDCT, which operates like an automatic. I'm trying to visualize what the shifting pattern would be in a DDCT manual. :confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how many different automatics is there now? lol 2 or 3?
anyways that just doesnt make sense to me, why have a clutch if its an auto? so you have all the agony of pushing in a clutch pedal, yet not the fun of powershifting? lol lame

Just to be clear, there is an automatic, and there is a DDCT, which operates like an automatic. I'm trying to visualize what the shifting pattern would be in a DDCT manual. :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are 2 automatics, the Powertech for the 2.0 and 2.4 and the DDCT for the 1.4. The DDCT is basically the manual with extra parts added on to automatically shift it and add a park "gear." The dual clutch allows it to shift more smoothly and more quickly than having a computer actuated single clutch. Dual clutch transmissions typically have a dual main shaft with even gears on one and the odd gears on the other. The dual clutches switch between those two shafts.

And, technically speaking, automatic transmissions have multiple internal wet clutches used to select the gear ratios.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ferrari has had an "automatic" like this for years, used in Formula even (paddle shifters, no clutch)
Basically small servos do the job of clutching and shifting, and the computer controls it all.

Why do this instead of just using a regular automatic? Efficiency.

Power to the wheels with traditional automatics is lower than with a clutch and stick shift, due to power loss in the torque converter.

With mileage becoming more and more important, more efficient transmissions (those with less power loss) will start to become more and more common. CVT's are becoming more popular as well.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
All automatics still have a clutch within the transmission. The clutch and gears are selected by a computer versus you having to physically push in a clutch pedal and shift gears. It is all done for you but they still have some type of clutch. The DDCT is just a new clutch design that Dodge is using on this car. Don't feel bad. When I first heard about it I thought that the DDCT was in both manuals and autos. I found out later through a link provided on here that I was wrong.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It's just frustrating because 98% of the new threads started from people are questions that have been answered 10-15 times over already.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sorry guys..just not used to clutches on automatics. No reason to rip on me when I'm asking a question. Drove the ddct and manual...not even a comparison for me. 6speed manual ftw
Not ripping on you. Sometimes the same question gets asked a lot. To be fair, a lot of forum search engines plain suck. This forum is fairly new, and search works well. Search and ask. In that order. It's all good.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's just frustrating because 98% of the new threads started from people are questions that have been answered 10-15 times over already.
Keep in mind that if you haven't lived those threads, they aren't reality to you. I really doubt that anyone would have knowledge of the other threads and still ask the question. The cool thing is, if we have read those threads 10-15 times, we have the info to give a quick answer. We can do that or ignore the thread.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't want to ignore whole threads if something new pops up. I also can't ignore threads that are made in the future. :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the transmission forum...questions and topics reguarding transmissions should be in the section. As such, I figured since there wasn't anything where it should be, it doesnt exist. I also went through most threads and didn't find this covered so I gave it a shot. I'm sure I could have searched around on google, but what's the point of having a forum if you can't get different peoples outputs? Sorry if I'm coming off as butt hurt, but I would like to thank those for giving me the answers. I understand transmissions have clutches in them. I started this thread thinking the dual clutch was replacing the converter like a normal auto. And with tme going on twin disk tech is increasing so I was wondering if it would be featured in a stick. That's the point of this post

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not ripping on you. Sometimes the same question gets asked a lot. To be fair, a lot of forum search engines plain suck. This forum is fairly new, and search works well. Search and ask. In that order. It's all good.
To be honest, I didn't even see the search bar till mentioned lol illuse that advise in the future. Thank you..+1

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
it's all good! And I'm still as confused as I was on the first DDCT thread I read but I guess it really doesn't matter for me since I have the 6 spd MT...I'm just trying to learn what I can but some of this stuff just flies way over my head..."WOOOOSH"

(comments from the peanut gallery is not required at this time, thankyouverymuch)

·
Registered
562 Posts
All automatics still have a clutch within the transmission. The clutch and gears are selected by a computer versus you having to physically push in a clutch pedal and shift gears. It is all done for you but they still have some type of clutch. The DDCT is just a new clutch design that Dodge is using on this car. Don't feel bad. When I first heard about it I thought that the DDCT was in both manuals and autos. I found out later through a link provided on here that I was wrong.
A conventional automatic uses clutches and bands to lock and unlock various gears in the planetary gear set. These clutches do not transmit power from the engine to the tranny, that is done by the torque converter.

In a DCT the actual gear box is very much like a conventional manual transmission and the clutches transmit the power from the engine to the gear box.

You can't really compare the function of a clutch in an conventional automatic to the clutches in a DCT.

BTW, the second D in DDCT stands for "dry" that is the clutch is outside the gear box, same as a conventional manual verse DWCT or "wet" clutch where the clutch is inside the gear box or a sealed chamber where it runs in an oil bath like most motorcycle clutches.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts