Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Dart for one week with the Turbo and Dual Clutch Transmission and I have to say what were the Chrysler engineers thinking with this calibration they put together.

Every European car with Dual Clutch Transmission that I have ridden or driven have crisp shifts and are are smooth with little power change during shifts. This Dart mimics a US slush box and it gets lost on what gear it should be in when putting some throttle to it.

They they guys at work warned me that the calibration was suspect from the projects that they were working on but I could not imagine that they would miss this bad.

I only hope that there will be a re-flash in the future to salvage this wonderful powertrain combination.

I don't know what others on the forum think but this was a big miss by Chrysler and I give them a FAIL!!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
every ddc i have driven or worked on here at the dealer is okay. they have shifted and performed flawlessly. i have no complaints with it. even through i drive the 6sp manual everyday. there is a recal on the slave cylinder and there might be a ecu updates available. i am not sure. if i get a chance today while i am here ill pull a ddc in and check it for any flash updates. you might need both.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only complaint I had with the one I drove (pre-production model) was the launch characteristics.
It gets lost at launch and does not know what gear to go into. They overcompensated for the Ford effect.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Its not a performance transmission. Its programmed for fuel economy not performance. They specifically said that they programmed it to more emulate a conventional automatic for America because people don't like the way a ddct drives.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not a performance transmission. Its programmed for fuel economy not performance. They specifically said that they programmed it to more emulate a conventional automatic for America because people don't like the way a ddct drives.
I understand you comments fully and understood that they were going to soften the shifts. However at launch it can jump around gears and you dont move as the throttle is also held back. This is clearly a calibration error that they messed up on.

But its DNA is a performance transmission and when you are in paddle shift mode it should be a crisp shift.

There will be flashes to fix it in the future as the launch issue will be to big to ignore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my Dart for one week with the Turbo and Dual Clutch Transmission and I have to say what were the Chrysler engineers thinking with this calibration they put together.

Every European car with Dual Clutch Transmission that I have ridden or driven have crisp shifts and are are smooth with little power change during shifts. This Dart mimics a US slush box and it gets lost on what gear it should be in when putting some throttle to it.

They they guys at work warned me that the calibration was suspect from the projects that they were working on but I could not imagine that they would miss this bad.

I only hope that there will be a re-flash in the future to salvage this wonderful powertrain combination.

I don't know what others on the forum think but this was a big miss by Chrysler and I give them a FAIL!!!!
I agree about the sloppy shifts and sloppy, hesitant downshifts. My car is at Dealer now having tranny pulled to repair the M-37 transaxle clutch slave cylinder problem. Makes me sick that my brand new car has to be torn apart to replace this faulty part. I feel that I will now have a very used vehicle when they're finished. To add insult to injury, I received a $500 discount offer afew weeks after taking delivery. I think Dodge should take my "reworked car" back at original cost and let me order another "new car". I also had paint drips in the rockguard paint on the rocker panels that were sharp enough to rip your hand open when drying the car after a wash - have pics for anyone that can tell me who to forward to. I do like the mpg and overall performance of the 1.4 except for the forementioned DDC shifting. Don't understand why the DDC was offered, if the shifts were going to mimic a regular tranny with a T/C.
I HOPE SOMEONE AT DODGE IN HIGHER MANAGEMENT COULD GIVE SERIOUS THOUGHT TO OFFERING A NEW VEHICLE TO OWNERS OF VEHICLES AFFECTED BY M-37!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I agree about the sloppy shifts and sloppy, hesitant downshifts. My car is at Dealer now having tranny pulled to repair the M-37 transaxle clutch slave cylinder problem. Makes me sick that my brand new car has to be torn apart to replace this faulty part. I feel that I will now have a very used vehicle when they're finished. To add insult to injury, I received a $500 discount offer afew weeks after taking delivery. I think Dodge should take my "reworked car" back at original cost and let me order another "new car". I also had paint drips in the rockguard paint on the rocker panels that were sharp enough to rip your hand open when drying the car after a wash - have pics for anyone that can tell me who to forward to. I do like the mpg and overall performance of the 1.4 except for the forementioned DDC shifting. Don't understand why the DDC was offered, if the shifts were going to mimic a regular tranny with a T/C.
I HOPE SOMEONE AT DODGE IN HIGHER MANAGEMENT COULD GIVE SERIOUS THOUGHT TO OFFERING A NEW VEHICLE TO OWNERS OF VEHICLES AFFECTED BY M-37!
I guess Toyota should give new cars to all of the 2.2 million owners who had their car recalled? Guess what, Dodge doesnt build the slave cylinder it is sourced from a supplier so maybe you could call them to see if they would be willing to buy you a new one. There is a reason new cars have a warranty. ...you will never get 100% reliability 100% of the time and your unrealistic in expecting a new car for something they are proactively fixing for free and even providing a loaner if needed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Whenever I read these type of threads I wonder " did the ppl who wanted this option give the car a nice "run through" test drive?". Seems like something so obvious and with this many complaints would rear its ugly head big time.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Whenever I read these type of threads I wonder " did the ppl who wanted this option give the car a nice "run through" test drive?". Seems like something so obvious and with this many complaints would rear its ugly head big time.
Agreed.

Most people don't actually test drive vehicles...

·
Registered
669 Posts

This is actually a feature that may make or break my experience and choice to pursue the 1.4L Turbo w/auto. (Short version, wife doesn't want to learn the clutch, although she will ride 4 wheelers and does it just fine... smh)

Heading out for a test drive today.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I understand you comments fully and understood that they were going to soften the shifts. However at launch it can jump around gears and you dont move as the throttle is also held back. This is clearly a calibration error that they messed up on.

But its DNA is a performance transmission and when you are in paddle shift mode it should be a crisp shift.

There will be flashes to fix it in the future as the launch issue will be to big to ignore.
There might be something wrong with your transmission. I've never had the DDCT not know what gear it wants. It knows exactly where it is going and will even revv match to that gear before engaging the clutch. It's really quick considering what all is going on too. A couple days ago I was leaving a gas station and was casually accelerating when I noticed the light down the street was green and I might be able to make it(it'd been green too long but oh well) and floored it. The transmission let go of second and while the engine was revving up to go back into first you could hear the transmission shift the odd gears back to 1st from the anticipated 3rd and shortly after the engine came up to speed and the transmission grabbed the flywheel.

Coming from a 5.9L Magnum V8 and 46RE automatic to the 1.4T with DDCT has taken some getting used to(used to have tons of torque down low and nothing up top and now nothing down low and usable power up top) but you get used to the transmission/engine and just drive a bit differently. For example, in town cruising it can take a second or so for the turbo to spool up when you need power so instead of hitting the gas when I need power like I used to I hit the gas a bit earlier and let the power roll on, as expected, a second or so later.

·
Registered
322 Posts
We test drove both the Manual 6 speed and DDCT 1.4L Dart, and even with my wife being a die hard Manual Transmission fan, we ordered the DDCT. Our Rallye is in the shipping process of production, so I do not actually own one yet. But I responded to a thread about just WHY we choose the DDCT, over the manual transmission. You can read it near the bottom of the "page" here:

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-1-4l-multiair-turbo/2083-manual-auto-3.html

Maybe you do have a defective transmission, but as others have said before, I am EXPECTING this new Dart to act like an economy car, and not at all like a all out performance car. I bought it for its MPG, ride comfort, looks, and not for its super impressive performance. Performance = loss of MPG. The Manual 1.4L is just IMHO dangerous due to the turbo lag, (see above thread link). I hope we do not end up agreeing with your findings, as we do live on a hill, that lead to the sale of our 2010 Honda Accord. It had this crummy lag / surge in the Manual Trans. that drove us nuts. You could not feel it on the flats, in the test drive, but put it on a hill, and it felt like the engine was missing all the time due to the computer controlled throttle being undecided, on the hill. Keep your foot steady on the gas, and, and,, surge, and lag, every time. Honda Dealer said "nothing wrong" and it was a "program problem" that there was no fix for. just have to live with it! After 33 years of owning Honda Accords, we sold it, and are now waiting for our Dodge Dart! I did a very long hard search on this Dart before ordering it. Only recently has there been any negative press on it, and it was mostly from folks thinking it was, again, a performance car, and not an economy car! If you want a "performance" car, it surly will not get 37+ MPG!!!

Beachnut

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really? You bought a first model year of a brand new car design and expect that nothing would ever be wrong with it? Are you new to cars? Do you have any idea how many different parts are inside a modern engine or transmission? Your car had a problem with it. Dodge found the problem and is fixing it for you at no cost. To me that seems about right.

As for the paint drips, have you talked to your dealership about them? What did they tell you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dodge's name is on the vehicle, so they would have to make it good to the customer not the supplier - then Dodge can deal with the supplier. Didn't want Dodge to "give" me a new car, just my altered vehicle "exchanged" for a new one. Let's say that "exchange" might cost Dodge $3,000 for each of the 650 customers with affected vehicles out of the 4,000 DDC's sold. That's $3,000 x 650 = $1.95 million. When I worked for Chrysler they always said a customer was worth $100,000 (or a $100,000 loss if the customer was so dissatisfied they never returned). If 20 customers out of the 650 affected by the DDC problem were so dissatisfied they never returned, then 20 x $100,000 = $2 million which is more than what it might cost for Dodge to offer the "exchange" I was suggesting. My car was returned today - mechanic said it was quite a job to pull other items to get to the transmission, make the repair, and reinstall transmission and other items. It required approx. double the 5 hrs that the M-37 warranty fix allows.
As for the sloppy shift problems I mentioned, can only hope there's a fix in the works.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
They put out the service bulletin and fixed the problem, that's all they can do to make it good. If you think there's something else wrong with your transmission, have the problem looked into. You do have a warranty after all...
You can call it an exchange or whatever else, you're still saying you want a new car because of something Dodge is proactively fixing. Of course it's a used car, you've used it. Maybe you don't realize it or think so, but you're coming off as having a sense of entitlement to another car to replace yours which has been, as I said, proactively fixed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts