Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the downpipe today. Finally managed to get some time to do it. Broke a few bolts and welded bolts on the downpipe bracket but replaced with new stainless bolts and washers. Paint is cured and the power increase is nice. 20160120_185744.jpg 20160120_164312.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
I broke one of the studs on the factory downpipe, but just used bolts to put it back together. Are you planning on wrapping the downpipe or get a jacket?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrapping defiantly. The paint is already getting flaky after day 1. I did the curing steps. Now my turbo gets a lil glowing red.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a CEL this morning otw to work. P0420 and the car still has this weird smell but only noticable when I'm stopped at a light or parked.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The smell is the same smell I had before the downpipe was on the car. I noticed it after I put on the turbo blanket. Now the turbo blanket is off the car and same smell.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really not liking this downpipe. I really felt no power increase. Anybody having the same issues as me? Feels real boggy and seems like The turbo isn't doing what it used to.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Really not liking this downpipe. I really felt no power increase. Anybody having the same issues as me? Feels real boggy and seems like The turbo isn't doing what it used to.
Well, I would have to assume since you do not have a tune for your car... it is not understanding the increased airflow through the pressure system. You have increased the size of the pressure system but dont have a management system to govern it and it the ECU that there is increased airflow... It sounds like your AFR is all outta wack! You must remember that when you increase the size of the pressure pipes all the way around (IC pipes, intake, downpipe, FMIC) the turbo has to compensate to fill that extra area. Meaning you have too much space and the turbo cannot fill it as quickly. Also, since you are not running a tune, your ECU is still running the stock tune and is set for a smaller pressure system diameter, making it confused by the amount of air it need to pressurize the system to meet what the ECU is set for stock. So, my advice for you is to start looking into tunes for your dart. There are multiple options (Unichip, HPSI, Tork, RRM) and each one has its own pluses and minuses... (cept the Unichip ;))

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
So tune as in an ECU flash or something? I am using the madness ECM but I know its not a tune.
A tune as in a heldheld tuner that plugs into your OBD port (HPSI/Eurocompulsion, Tork/damnfastdd, Skyd)

You could very well be running the engine too lean and may cause damage to the motor with your current setup.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
A tune as in a heldheld tuner that plugs into your OBD port (HPSI/Eurocompulsion, Tork/damnfastdd, Skyd)

You could very well be running the engine too lean and may cause damage to the motor with your current setup.
Dont forget the Unichip! :D

But then again the Unichip is not a handheld... It is a piggy-back system that replicates a standalone, or a signal modifier.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The madness is Also like the unichip as well. But until I can afford the handheld I guess I'll baby the car until then

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called madness and they confirmed that it is safe to use those mods with their V2 ecu. My issue was the setting on it was too high. I put it at 6 and the car runs better but still not where I want it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The madness is Also like the unichip as well. But until I can afford the handheld I guess I'll baby the car until then
I was thinking on getting the hspi tune but I know when I do that some else will come out with better tuner, I think I will just wait until someone like sct will come out with one, so I can take the car to my local dyno shop and get it tuned correctly. For now I will just check my afr with my wide band, just waiting on that 90 degree fitting.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I was thinking on getting the hspi tune but I know when I do that some else will come out with better tuner, I think I will just wait until someone like sct will come out with one, so I can take the car to my local dyno shop and get it tuned correctly. For now I will just check my afr with my wide band, just waiting on that 90 degree fitting.
im rooting for you because im really excited to see how your dart turns out... but there arent any vendors lining up to develop tunes for a sub-200hp dart. this is pretty much what you are going to get with the dart until FCA pulls the plug. the payoff just isnt there, as a tune only gets you slightly above 200 WTP. just not worth it to vendors when there wont be any sales to support the R&D. they havent taken to the dart at all :-(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts