Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this belongs here

So I bought a used 2015 dart sxt a few months back with no regrets so far.

When I bought the car I never tried the little emergency key that sticks in the key fob. I mean it's like 5 years old with no wrecks so I didn't think that there would be a reason it wouldn't work.

Well I tried it in the door today just for sh*ts and giggles, well it doesn't turn. Won't rotate left or right. So I look at the door sil (where they put Vin stickers and other vehicle labels) and the little rubber cap that covers the set screw for the lock assembly is missing with a little bit of tool marks around the hole. So someone at some point for some reason changed the lock on the door.

So naturally I call the stealership that sold the car to me and they basically said it is what it is. So no help there.

So then I call a couple locksmiths to see if they can decode the lock Cylinder and then cut me a key. The can thankfully, but it'll be about 150 bucks.
I don't really wanna spend that kinda money if I can help it.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact that if for some reason the electronics for the door locks stop working. Or the battery in the car dies, I have no way to get in the car to pop the hood.

So really long story short, is there another solution? I've looked for a new lock tumbler WITH the corrisponding key but I can't find anything.

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
Not sure if this belongs here

So I bought a used 2015 dart sxt a few months back with no regrets so far.

When I bought the car I never tried the little emergency key that sticks in the key fob when I bought it. I mean it's like 5 years old with no wrecks so I didn't think that there would be a reason it wouldn't work.

Well I tried it in the door today just for sh*ts and giggles, well it doesn't turn. Won't rotate left or right. So I look at the door sil (where they put Vin stickers and other vehicle labels) and the little rubber cap that covers the set screw for the lock assembly is missing with a little bit of tool marks around the hole. So someone at some point for some reason changed the lock on the door.

So naturally I call the stealership that sold the car to me and they basically said it is what it is. So no help there.

So then I call a couple locksmiths to see if they can decode the lock Cylinder and then cut me a key. The can thankfully, but it'll be about 150 bucks.
I don't really wanna spend that kinda money if I can help it.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact that if some reason the electronics for the door locks stop working. Or the battery in the car dies, I have no way to get in the car to pop the hood.

So really long story short, is there another solution? I've looked for a new lock tumbler WITH the corrisponding key but I can't find anything.

Any advice?
Send me a pic of your emergency key by email to alpinegreenneon at neons dot org. I have a bunch of spare door locks and I know how to rekey them to your key code.
I have been doing this for many years on the neon forum. I have access to the key code database. I put a lock on the passenger side of my Darts;
I can do this for you for about $10 shipped with a spare all metal key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Send me a pic of your emergency key by email to alpinegreenneon at neons dot org. I have a bunch of spare door locks and I know how to rekey them to your key code.
I have been doing this for many years on the neon forum. I have access to the key code database. I put a lock on the passenger side of my Darts;
I can do this for you for about $10 shipped with a spare all metal key.

Youre saying that you're able to take a picture of my key that I send you, then give me a driver side door lock Cylinder that will match said key?? From a picture??!!

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
Youre saying that you're able to take a picture of my key that I send you, then give me a driver side door lock Cylinder that will match said key?? From a picture??!!
Yes, I can do that.

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
Here is a link to a video about how to remove a door lock and handle:

All you need is a T25 torx driver after you remove the small plastic hole cover on the side of the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts