Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may recall that I was trying to install door locks on the passenger side doors of my Darts. FCA has part numbers for a right side door lock and a right side lock rod.
68170232AA / Lock Rod, RIGHT
68237148AA / Lock Cylinder, RIGHT
I already have those parts and I have keyed those locks to be the same as the driver side lock. The problem is that the door latch is missing a lever to attach the rod to. I found a wrecked Dart at a junkyard and disassembled the doors. I was hoping to transfer the lever but it is riveted and no way to swap it to the right side. I destroyed the left latch assembly trying. Here is a pic of a left and right door latch:
Space Fictional character

I recall reading a thread about a member that just had a key and no fob. Very likely an early base model that might have been equipped with a passenger side door lock. A VIN from that member or anyone else that has such a Dart would really help.
I found that thread:
https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-general-discussion/30565-dodge-dart-key-fob.html

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you trying to add a key slot to the door on the passenger side?
Yes. I am so accustomed to opening a car door with a key for over 50 years that it bothers me not to have a lock on that side. I don't like remotes.

Our 2018 Ram 1500 regular cab has manual windows and doors, no remote and it has a right side door lock. Perhaps there was a fleet version of the Dart with no fob?

Reactions: Bullfrog

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking in the parts tab of my part of DealerConnect, i see three numbers for the door latch, two rights and a left; 68175231AA is a left side, 68175250AA is a right side, both of these have no model designation. Then there is 68175234AA, a right side that has GXM right next to it. I'm thinking that this one might be a keyed latch for the right hand drive countries, likely Fiat would have the same setup, but flipped. I'm going to ask my parts lady in the morning, see if they have anything else besides what i see.

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Looking in the parts tab of my part of DealerConnect, i see three numbers for the door latch, two rights and a left; 68175231AA is a left side, 68175250AA is a right side, both of these have no model designation. Then there is 68175234AA, a right side that has GXM right next to it. I'm thinking that this one might be a keyed latch for the right hand drive countries, likely Fiat would have the same setup, but flipped. I'm going to ask my parts lady in the morning, see if they have anything else besides what i see.
The difference is that 68175250AA is for cars without passive entry and 68175234AA is for those with passive entry.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
68175234AA is what is there now and what I pulled at the junkyard, and it does not have a lever. I asked Benny @AllMoparParts.com to order a 68175250AA to see if it has a lever and he says it does not have it either. David, if your parts lady wants to try to order that number 68175250AA to verify, I would buy it from you if it actually does have the lever. It seems odd that FCA would have two right side numbers for the latch, a right side key cylinder and right side lock rod, and that neither right side latch part number that doesn't have a lever for the lock rod. I do see the part inside the latch I have that the lever toggles.
I have emailed FCA to see if there was a RHD Fiat Viaggio made and if it might have the correct latch with a lever since it shares a lot of parts with the Dart. Waiting for an answer.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Yes. I am so accustomed to opening a car door with a key for over 50 years that it bothers me not to have a lock on that side. I don't like remotes.
The things we miss...round keys for locks and square keys for ignition. All metal ignition cylinder. Im not a fan of the fob either. It looks like the next car i get no matter what i dont think i will have separate radio and AC controls it will be some bastardized touchscreen. :/

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The difference is that 68175250AA is for cars without passive entry and 68175234AA is for those with passive entry.
I don't have passive entry and the junkyard donor did not have passive entry. The online parts software sometimes has errors. That's why they always insist on your VIN when you do an online order.
What's strange is that the left side latch has only one part number.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The things we miss...round keys for locks and square keys for ignition. All metal ignition cylinder. Im not a fan of the fob either. It looks like the next car i get no matter what i dont think i will have separate radio and AC controls it will be some bastardized touchscreen. :/
The fob puts a bulge in your pocket and its heavier than a metal key. The ignition node has no lock tumblers, it's all electronic. The door lock has 7 tumblers but the metal key in the fob has 8 cuts. Our Darts have the base radio, no touchscreens. Our 2018 Ram does not have a touchscreen thankfully. The backup camera image appears on the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Talked to my parts lady today, she said that GXM is the latch for cars with remote entry and panic alarm. She did not find anything more than what i was looking at. Apparently, the U.S. catalog does not have anything for the exports besides North America. If Fiat had exported the platform to rhd countries, then if there's anyone on this forum that lives in one of those countries, they could check into it. Sorry that i was'nt of much help this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FCA Customer Assistance replied. They were no help at all. At this point the only solution seems to be fabbing a mirror image lever, grinding off the 2 rivet heads, drilling and tapping a thin screw to replace the rivets, and reassemble. Any precision machinists out there on this forum interested? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee. PM me.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do your cars not have the factory alarm system? Unlocking the car with the key sets off the alarm, and you need to use the fob to turn it off.
Neither Dart has the alarm. I use the key in the door lock almost all the time if it's just me. I open the door for my wife. Yes, chivalry. I would rather use a key, but the fob does work.
I have owned a Chrysler product since 1966 and every one of them has had a passenger side door lock except for the Darts. Even our new 2018 Ram has the right side lock but we ordered it without a fob, with wind up windows and traditional manual lock button that goes up and down, and no touch screen. The mandated backup camera image appears in the rearview mirror.

Vehicle door Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: DeyemeRacing

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
If you can score a boneyard left and right assembly, I'll see what I can do. If it's not something I can do in-house, my son, who is a precision machinist student can probably make it happen. They have ALL the cool toys there.

I actually wanted to do this same thing to my Challenger and ran into the same roadblocks. I just didn't try as hard as you are now, with this. Like you, I hate fobs. I always would just leave the remote with a friend or relative or keep it at home, and just have the metal key with me. I even keep a metal key to my tow vehicle in my boat when we're on the water (because those stupid fobs aren't waterproof!).

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Travis,
I would like to score one more junkyard right side latch and I will send you two right sides and the left example that is partially missing some white plastic. It may be awhile depending on if I can find another junkyard donor. Just PM your shipping address. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If anyone else is thinking about this, I can post some part numbers.

68237148AA right side key lock cylinder
68170232AA right side lock rod

68084837AF left side door handle bracket
This has the rod actuator that can be removed and used on the right side bracket.

Auto part

Auto part

Auto part Engine Technology Vehicle Automotive engine part

Product Technology Electronics Electronic device Auto part

Earlier than 2016 right side door brackets do not have the torx screw key cylinder retention mechanism. Those are just spring loaded and the release involves using a right angle pick to release the knob.
68084836AE is the bracket for the right side that has the torx screw instead of the spring loaded mechanism.

68078076AA rod clip kit
Product Plastic Transparency Toy Plastic bag

The outside knob with the hole for the key slot has different part numbers depending on the color of your Dart. Benny @AllMoparParts can tell you the correct number for your color.

1TD37MBJAD Laser Blue Handle Knob
1TD37ZR3AD TorRed Handle Knob
Vehicle door Blue Electric blue Door handle Vehicle

Red Vehicle door Car Vehicle Magenta

The key lock cylinder comes without tumblers and springs. The lock has to be keyed to your key code. I have those and can read your key code from a pic of the metal key. You would just need to send me the lock assembly and I could key it for you for just the cost of shipping.
The painted knob part number is from the left side and just get flipped over to work on the right side.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, it's just the lever that's missing. I was at a junkyard today and there were two wrecked Darts. I have two sets of latches to send to you. I hope it's something you can do. If anyone is interested, I have a black and a redline knob with the keyhole. When I get home tomorrow, I'll put them in my for sale post.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
On a similar note, the trunk latch for the Dart is the same as for older models. I know, because I bought a replacement, and while waiting for it to come in, scrounged around in the garage and found a tiller throttle cable to use as a temporary cable release - yep, the "new" style latch still had the little arm for a cable release. So maybe there's an older right-hand version from another model that would work? Older Fiat 500 maybe?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts