Dodge Dart Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
I get the touchscreen rebooting itself as well. It only happens in winter on really bad cold winter days.
Thousands of people have had occasional reboots of the Uconnect 8.4. In fact, I suspect that almost everybody who has one has had this happen. It's probably intended behavior to deal with certain fault conditions. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens a lot, in which case you probably have a bad Uconnect 8.4. I'd be more concerned if the Uconnect died and could not be made to turn on again without disconnecting the battery, paired with an electrical burning smell, which is what @Killraven describes.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So I'm curious... how many other FCA products (or new cars in general) have a bunch of fuses mounted on a panel that's directly over the positive battery terminal? I'm not an engineer but that looks to me like a fire just waiting to happen, between leaking battery vapors and fuses that could cause a spark if they were jolted loose.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
So I'm curious... how many other FCA products (or new cars in general) have a bunch of fuses mounted on a panel that's directly over the positive battery terminal? I'm not an engineer but that looks to me like a fire just waiting to happen, between leaking battery vapors and fuses that could cause a spark if they were jolted loose.
You mean these fuses?

20160912_192011.jpg

That's the 200 amp mega fuse for the alternator and a couple of 60 and 70 amp MIDI fuses. Note how they are bolted into place and not able to be "jolted" loose. I'd say that these pose almost zero risk of causing a fire. Of potential interest in this discussion are all those little crumbs to the lower left. That is exactly what they are, and I believe they were left there by squirrels a couple of years ago. Those same vile tree rats also shredded part of the foam insulation on the bottom of the engine cover and left chunks of foam all over the top of the engine. They've left bread crumbs (and actual chunks of bread) on top of the battery cover of my Grand Caravan as well, and it would be much easier to short that battery out, since both poles are always exposed. And if you don't think those little jerks are dangerous, earlier this summer a stupid squirrel chewed through the regulator hose for my BBQ. A spark or flame in the wrong place could have easily ended in catastrophe. In fact, it is as plausible to blame squirrels (or other rodents) for these car fires as anything else. They love the warmth and protection (from predators) under the hood of a car, and they will mindlessly chew wires and hoses.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really wish FCA/Dodge would step up here and try to figure out what is causing these cars to randomly burst into flame. :disappointed:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a '15 SXT Rallye 2.4L 6 Speed Manual ( I have been unable to update my profile with this info, btw), and I have on more than one occasion smelled this burning, electrical odor coming from what must be the air vents inside the car. It probably hasn't happened for over six months now, but this stuff is starting to scare me a little, as is the Crushed Rocker panels saga. I do, however, like the car very much so far.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I really wish FCA/Dodge would step up here and try to figure out what is causing these cars to randomly burst into flame. :disappointed:
Until it kills X number of people or becomes part of a class-action lawsuit FCA couldn't care less. So far nobody has died so I doubt we'll hear from them anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Until it kills X number of people or becomes part of a class-action lawsuit FCA couldn't care less. So far nobody has died so I doubt we'll hear from them anytime soon.
FCA is almost certainly investigating these Dart fires as thoroughly as possible. At least one person has reported that FCA had their car for this exact reason for an extended period of time, but refused to reveal the results of the investigation, though since they denied the warranty claim, presumably they were confident that it was not a defect in the vehicle that was responsible for the fire, or allowed it to happen when it otherwise wouldn't have. In any case, the only way we, the public at large, will ever know about any specific investigation is if they actually do discover a design flaw that is contributing to such fires and they issue a recall. Otherwise, the investigation will be closed and filed away with nobody outside of any regulatory agencies they are required to report to ever knowing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this forum but this happened back in 2014. I had a 2013 dodge dart 1.4 aero manual. I had it for about 9 months it had 16k miles i had just changed the oil like i had 2 times prior on my way back home i the car died and caught on fire. At first i though it had to of been me but i took pictures the plug was in the oil pan, the oil cap was half melted but still on, the dipstick was in but the damage was to extensive to tell the cause was never determined. After fighting with my insurance the car was paid off (they tried to give me 3k under what i still owed on it) i got 31 dollars and the biggest reason never to buy a dodge again. my only hope is that one day there will be a recall or a settlement i lost almost 10k on that car lost a job because of it and if it would of drove less than a quarter of a mile more that day back into my garage i would of lost my house too.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I just found this forum but this happened back in 2014. I had a 2013 dodge dart 1.4 aero manual. I had it for about 9 months it had 16k miles i had just changed the oil like i had 2 times prior on my way back home i the car died and caught on fire. At first i though it had to of been me but i took pictures the plug was in the oil pan, the oil cap was half melted but still on, the dipstick was in but the damage was to extensive to tell the cause was never determined. After fighting with my insurance the car was paid off (they tried to give me 3k under what i still owed on it) i got 31 dollars and the biggest reason never to buy a dodge again. my only hope is that one day there will be a recall or a settlement i lost almost 10k on that car lost a job because of it and if it would of drove less than a quarter of a mile more that day back into my garage i would of lost my house too.
Did you have any problems with your touchscreen? Did it ever turn white or blank and reboot?

Did your car drop idle speed when an electrical load was applied such as the front defrost button or A/C?

·
Registered
15 Posts
First of all I'd like to say THANK YOU to whoever posted this. I think it might have saved me?
I was checking my oil after an oil change at the dealer to make sure it was filled up correctly and noticed the blanket around the battery had a spot on it. Upon closer inspection it looked like the battery was leaking and had melted part of the battery cover and the part that was touching the metal frame had some discoloration. I immediately remembered reading something on the DD forum about the car catching on fire on the drivers side around the battery area. The battery was replaced by my PURCHASING dealer when i took it back for work they had done. The car had died when they went to pull it in. It had 35,000 miles so they gave me a new mopar oe battery under warranty. This was back in April 2016.
So when I saw the leak I headed over to the same dealer right away asked why it was leaking and it wasnt even a year. They wanted to charge me for the battery inspection since I was out of warranty. I was like wtf you guys were the one who put that battery in less then a year ago. He looked up my info and said your past the warranty for installed repair parts (1 year or 12,000 miles) I had driven 15,000 since April 2016... I was so mad but sadly not surprised since I stopped going to this dealer because there service dept sucks. They've damaged my door the last time I went for an oil change there.
After arguing with them, I realized how pointless it was and left to buy a new battery at advanced auto parts. Luckly they were having a sale and got 50$ off a new AUTOCRAFT PLATINUM AGM. I did not put the battery blanket back on when I installed it. I did get a check engine light when I turned the car on.

I was reading that I have to disconnect the negative termal for 20min to do a ECU reset?

How necessary is the battery blanket cover? I'm in So Cal, the coldest it ever gets here is about 45 degrees on these winter days. It does get pretty hot during the summer time. I need one of those custom battery covers..:)

Here are some pics:
Dodge (1).JPG
Dodge (2).JPG
Dodge (7).JPG
Dodge (6).JPG
Dodge (3).jpg
Dodge (4).jpg

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
First of all I'd like to say THANK YOU to whoever posted this. I think it might have saved me?
I was checking my oil after an oil change at the dealer to make sure it was filled up correctly and noticed the blanket around the battery had a spot on it. Upon closer inspection it looked like the battery was leaking and had melted part of the battery cover and the part that was touching the metal frame had some discoloration. I immediately remembered reading something on the DD forum about the car catching on fire on the drivers side around the battery area. The battery was replaced by my PURCHASING dealer when i took it back for work they had done. The car had died when they went to pull it in. It had 35,000 miles so they gave me a new mopar oe battery under warranty. This was back in April 2016.
So when I saw the leak I headed over to the same dealer right away asked why it was leaking and it wasnt even a year. They wanted to charge me for the battery inspection since I was out of warranty. I was like wtf you guys were the one who put that battery in less then a year ago. He looked up my info and said your past the warranty for installed repair parts (1 year or 12,000 miles) I had driven 15,000 since April 2016... I was so mad but sadly not surprised since I stopped going to this dealer because there service dept sucks. They've damaged my door the last time I went for an oil change there.
After arguing with them, I realized how pointless it was and left to buy a new battery at advanced auto parts. Luckly they were having a sale and got 50$ off a new AUTOCRAFT PLATINUM AGM. I did not put the battery blanket back on when I installed it. I did get a check engine light when I turned the car on.

I was reading that I have to disconnect the negative termal for 20min to do a ECU reset?

How necessary is the battery blanket cover? I'm in So Cal, the coldest it ever gets here is about 45 degrees on these winter days. It does get pretty hot during the summer time. I need one of those custom battery covers..:)

Here are some pics:
View attachment 86057
View attachment 86065
View attachment 86073
View attachment 86081
View attachment 86089
View attachment 86105
Anytime you disconnect the battery you will get a check engine light once you turn the car back on. This light will stay on for 1-2 days depending on how many miles you drive.

If you want to reset the ecu disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes will do it. I only waited 15 minutes when I reset mine. Afterwords you will have the check engine light come on as stated above.

·
Registered
246 Posts
@Gee, As for the battery blanket, you should probably re use it. The blanket isn't there to keep it warm in cold situations, it's there to keep it insulated from the extreme heat created by the engine in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Anytime you disconnect the battery you will get a check engine light once you turn the car back on. This light will stay on for 1-2 days depending on how many miles you drive.

If you want to reset the ecu disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes will do it. I only waited 15 minutes when I reset mine. Afterwords you will have the check engine light come on as stated above.
Why would you get a check engine light for disconnecting the battery? What code does it throw? I did not get one when I replaced the battery in my car.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Why would you get a check engine light for disconnecting the battery? What code does it throw? I did not get one when I replaced the battery in my car.
The ecu is empty and has no driving data so the check engine light turns on. When you turn the car on, think of it as turning on for the first time ever again. It has no idea where it is at in terms of air density/altitude, fuel type, air temperature. It requires some miles be put on so that minor adjustments are made to the computer, at which point the check engine light turns off.

As far as the code, I don't know but I believe somebody else pulled it on the .org and posted what it was. Happened every single time I have done it on both of my Darts. Each time was approximately 15 minutes of being unplugged. You will hear lots of clicking and relays going off.

Perhaps you did not have it disconnected long enough so all your data was still there, so no code?

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
The ecu is empty and has no driving data so the check engine light turns on. When you turn the car on, think of it as turning on for the first time ever again. It has no idea where it is at in terms of air density/altitude, fuel type, air temperature. It requires some miles be put on so that minor adjustments are made to the computer, at which point the check engine light turns off.

As far as the code, I don't know but I believe somebody else pulled it on the .org and posted what it was. Happened every single time I have done it on both of my Darts. Each time was approximately 15 minutes of being unplugged. You will hear lots of clicking and relays going off.

Perhaps you did not have it disconnected long enough so all your data was still there, so no code?
Ive left my car's battery disconnected all night a few times... i have never seen a cel for that?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
2014+ darts will have a CEL after a battery disconnect after all residual power is drained from the system.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
2014+ darts will have a CEL after a battery disconnect after all residual power is drained from the system.
Mine is a 2015...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
@Exitus04 I stand corrected. Maybe it's a 2.0/2.4 thing

61 - 80 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
40 Participants
Dartanyion
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing