Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I WAS a happy Dodge Dart owner until last week. I am in SF CA. Last month I noticed that my dodge dart had almost NO coolant, dealer towed my car to the dealership and they fixed 2 hose clamps leaking coolant on the front radiator hose, also service airbag light was on and off and they found active left side seat deployment squib 1-circut open, on inspection found pulled out pin connector under drivers seat, repaired. Got my car for a 5 days and took it back to a service, coolant leaking again, no visual leak found....service said that it is normal, added coolant again. Car was fine for a week, coolant almost gone, car started to smoke badly from the back pipes with a white/gray smoke, also when turned on started to shake, loosing power on the freeway, since then car is at the dealership, they do not know what is going on, they said they had to open the engine and see......no comment, I am pissed:mad::mad:. My car has 10k and in last month all I have is a headache with it! Is it a bad LEMON? Anyone here have the same problem? How many times the car needs to be at the dealer for the same problem to be called a LEMON?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hi I WAS a happy Dodge Dart owner until last week. I am in SF CA. Last month I noticed that my dodge dart had almost NO coolant, dealer towed my car to the dealership and they fixed 2 hose clamps leaking coolant on the front radiator hose, also service airbag light was on and off and they found active left side seat deployment squib 1-circut open, on inspection found pulled out pin connector under drivers seat, repaired. Got my car for a 5 days and took it back to a service, coolant leaking again, no visual leak found....service said that it is normal, added coolant again. Car was fine for a week, coolant almost gone, car started to smoke badly from the back pipes with a white/gray smoke, also when turned on started to shake, loosing power on the freeway, since then car is at the dealership, they do not know what is going on, they said they had to open the engine and see......no comment, I am pissed:mad::mad:. My car has 10k and in last month all I have is a headache with it! Is it a bad LEMON? Anyone here have the same problem? How many times the car needs to be at the dealer for the same problem to be called a LEMON?
If they attempted to fix it 3 times and released the car to you those three time in my state it would be a lemon but to save you I guess time they hold it on the third attempt so you don't have to fight it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think they kept the car to really check for problems, they said that they will look piece by piece cylinders....I don't know anything about the cars, but I am getting very irritated. I bought this one as a new car because I wanted to be worry free, I used to drive Toyota that had over 200k in it with total of ZERO issues.

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
My Toyotas had problems but then again so did my Dart. I wouldn't sweat it as they will either get it worked out or you will be getting a new car. 30 days is the max in CA for the same problem (first 18 months of ownership).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was your problem with your dart @prettyboyfloyd ? And by saying 30 days you mean from the very first time when I had the problem? Or do they need to keep the car for 30 days at he shop?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Toyotas had problems but then again so did my Dart. I wouldn't sweat it as they will either get it worked out or you will be getting a new car. 30 days is the max in CA for the same problem (first 18 months of ownership).
What was your problem with your dart @prettyboyfloyd ? And by saying 30 days you mean from the very first time when I had the problem? Or do they need to keep the car for 30 days at he shop?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My DCCT had a bad TCM. 30 days in the shop for the same problem is the limit. There are other limits too so just go to the CA lemon site.
Got my car back from the shop on Saturday, had a blown head gasket, today is going back there again for a airbag service. The light came on this am and won't turn off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on my dart rallye

Can post up your repair invoice? It will be helpful to the Dart community.
Ok, so here is everything I got:
Customer states when you first start vehicle up after sitting for a period of time vehicle idles rough. Gets coolant smell in cabin and exterior, white smoke comes out of tailpipe and has no power, check and advise. Removed radiator cap & checked for hydrocarbons. Has high amount of hydrocarbons in coolant. Engine leaking combustion recommend to remove cylinder head for inspection. Removed cylinder head, cleaned, checked for warping. Cyl head ok-blown/leaking head gasket, need to replace gasket reinstall cyl head & retest. Replaced head gasket, retest, normal operation after repairs.

This is all I got, picked up car Saturday about 5 pm, didn't drive at all on Sunday, Monday morning service air bags light came on and didn't turn off, I was advised to bring the car back to the shop again, they kept it overnight, will post more updates tomorrow when I hear from them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for posting this issue, I'll keep a heads up for the problem when I approach this mileage. I hope your dealer is able to figure it out, please keep us informed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting this issue, I'll keep a heads up for the problem when I approach this mileage. I hope your dealer is able to figure it out, please keep us informed.
Update from today, dart is staying at the shop till at least Friday, there is a deeper problem, I'll post more info when I pick the car up from the shop with the invoice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update from today, dart is staying at the shop till at least Friday, there is a deeper problem, I'll post more info when I pick the car up from the shop with the invoice
I still haven't got my car back, the part they need is on the back order, no ETA. It has been 3 weeks right now when I don't have the car. Yesterday I spoke with Chrysler and filed a claim, so now it is everything under investigations. Will see what they going to tell me. I am kind of done with this car.....although I really enjoyed driving it when everything was alright.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I notice here in Wa. State that all the dodge dealers are very vauge about what they do to you car if anything when a factory repair is in order, they always tell me the computer needs to be flashed..???? I am beginning to think they are all lemons.... in Wa. its 24k or 24 months I'm past that..... I have lots of electric issues and other things, use remote start and you can't get it in gear... shut off with remote and start with key works. Some times it will not start at all..... dealer says no error codes... but if the computer is not programed for many of these issues they will not show, if you car has a blown head gasket I would want a new car....!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2013 Dodge Dart bought brand new. First year we had some electrical issues but they finally figured out the problems. The car all of a sudden wouldn’t start, the window wouldn’t work. But after they fixed it’s been great. One thing you all should know is that the engine and transmission are made by Fiat. Fiat owns Chrysler now or most of the shares in the company. Fiat makes great engines that last a very long time with regular maintenance

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2013 Dodge Dart bought brand new. First year we had some electrical issues but they finally figured out the problems. The car all of a sudden wouldn’t start, the window wouldn’t work. But after they fixed it’s been great. One thing you all should know is that the engine and transmission are made by Fiat. Fiat owns Chrysler now or most of the shares in the company. Fiat makes great engines that last a very long time with regular maintenance
I believe that you will get many miles out of your Dodge Dart after head gasket is fixed and the air bag problem is solved.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
Depends on the engine / transmission combo. The manual and DDCT are Fiat. The 1.4t is Fiat, however the 2.0 and 2.4 and automatic transmissions for the NA engines are actually made by Hyundai and the engines themselves are Chrysler. The 2.4 is a mix though, with the Multiair head, but the lower end and most of the engine is the same as the 2.0.

@zigzagzig5965 I merged your last three posts into one and now it seems they have disappeared... my bad, I am not sure what the forum did there. Responding to your comment about it sounding like a Fiat, well that might be entirely true. If you have the 1.4t than you indeed have a fiat. But if you do not than the NA engines are primarily Chrysler. Dodge did a great job at the exhaust on this car and I must say all 3 engines sound really good for a 4 cylinder. A good exhaust on the NAs sound deep and excellent, and a muffler delete on the 1.4t is one of the best things you can do to the car, it sounds amazing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts