Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I’m new here so I’m wondering if you can help out. I need to change my old rims wheels but I don’t know what size I’m suppose to get. I just bought four size 16 but they don’t fit

·
Registered
80 Posts
That link for the specs is where to start, but unfortunately it will just get you started. Those are specs of wheels that were available stock on the cars, but their specs don't tell the whole story. The wheel & tire configurators on the websites that supposedly know all the car's specs are demonstrably wrong, at least where my Dart is concerned.

I bought some Konig Lace wheels for my '13 Aero that were very close to the specs of the steelies they were replacing (same width, bolt pattern, diameter, oversize bore, 1mm less offset) and all the configurators that listed the Konigs said they were good, but they weren't even close to fitting. The Konig wheels had an inner diameter smaller than the inner diameter of the steelies despite having the same bead diameter and the spokes started to deflect inboard too aggressively as they approached the outer diameter. I had to put 1" spacers under each wheel to make them clear the brake calipers in the front and the upper control arms in the back. Even then I had to take a grinder to one of the front calipers to knock a few thousandths off a couple high spots. No room for stick-on weights. The first time I took it to a tire shop they didn't notice the clearance and I forgot to tell them until they'd mounted one wheel and the caliper shaved all the weights right off. The whole thing was kind of annoying, but on the plus side the spacers widened the track subtly enough you couldn't quite put your finger on what was different but it was definitely and improvement in look. Filled out the wheel wells better and gave it a nice stance.

All that to say don't be surprised when a wheel that seems to be OK because it meets the specs isn't. People's specific experiences and actually mounting the wheel is the only definitive way to know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts