Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2013 Dodge Dart roughly two years ago with a new engine, transmission, flywheel etc...and with less then 24,000 miles added, it has had more problems then i can count. Is there any recourse as a consumer?

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Dodge Dart roughly two years ago with a new engine, transmission, flywheel etc...and with less then 24,000 miles added, it has had more problems then i can count. Is there any recourse as a consumer?
You bought a 6 year old used car with the entire drivetrain having been replaced? Unless the car had some sort of obvious flaw or defect that the seller knew about and was required by law to disclose to you but didn't, you probably have no recourse. Sometimes with a used car, you're buying someone else's problem, and used car sales are generally on a "buyer beware" basis where the buyer assumes all the risk in the transaction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You bought a 6 year old used car with the entire drivetrain having been replaced? Unless the car had some sort of obvious flaw or defect that the seller knew about and was required by law to disclose to you but didn't, you probably have no recourse. Sometimes with a used car, you're buying someone else's problem, and used car sales are generally on a "buyer beware" basis where the buyer assumes all the risk in the transaction.
The drivetrain was replaced because of the recall of the transmission for the year. I was assured the engine and transmission replacement fixed the issue and that “it was a great car”. After looking at all the problems of the Dodge Dart 1.4 in these forums, it appears the entire model is a design flaw. Too bad, its a nice looking car, just seems to be a never ending money pit of mechanical problems.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
The drivetrain was replaced because of the recall of the transmission for the year. I was assured the engine and transmission replacement fixed the issue and that “it was a great car”. After looking at all the problems of the Dodge Dart 1.4 in these forums, it appears the entire model is a design flaw. Too bad, its a nice looking car, just seems to be a never ending money pit of mechanical problems.
Yeah, definitely an expensive car to maintain. Us 2013 owners have to be either philosophical about it, or live our lives filled with regrets. Mine may never run again (DDCT-related issues, you can probably find my thread if you want), but I regret nothing. I got 7 and a half years of good times before something awful went wrong, and with some luck come the spring, I will still be able to reach my goal of 10 years. If not, life goes on, and while my other ride is a Grand Caravan that I loathe to the depths of my being, it gets the job the done so I don't complain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, definitely an expensive car to maintain. Us 2013 owners have to be either philosophical about it, or live our lives filled with regrets. Mine may never run again (DDCT-related issues, you can probably find my thread if you want), but I regret nothing. I got 7 and a half years of good times before something awful went wrong, and with some luck come the spring, I will still be able to reach my goal of 10 years. If not, life goes on, and while my other ride is a Grand Caravan that I loathe to the depths of my being, it gets the job the done so I don't complain.
Did Dodge just discontinue the Grand Caravan for problems too?

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Did Dodge just discontinue the Grand Caravan for problems too?
Neither vehicle was discontinued for quality issues. The Dart never really caught on, and by 2016 there just wasn't enough demand for compact cars to justify the planned 2017 Dart redesign. As for the Grand Caravan, it's pretty much just obsolete. It's reached the point where it would soon not be able to meet crash safety or emissions regulations. The name hasn't been fully discontinued, though. I believe here in Canada (where the Grand Caravan is very popular), they are making a down-market version of the Pacifica and selling it as the Dodge Grand Caravan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neither vehicle was discontinued for quality issues. The Dart never really caught on, and by 2016 there just wasn't enough demand for compact cars to justify the planned 2017 Dart redesign. As for the Grand Caravan, it's pretty much just obsolete. It's reached the point where it would soon not be able to meet crash safety or emissions regulations. The name hasn't been fully discontinued, though. I believe here in Canada (where the Grand Caravan is very popular), they are making a down-market version of the Pacifica and selling it as the Dodge Grand Caravan.

Based on the comments on the Dodge Dart 2013 1.4, are we sure it was not discontinued for quality purposes? Thread after thread of very expensive mechanical issues...some cases with five turbos replaced in a short period of time.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Based on the comments on the Dodge Dart 2013 1.4, are we sure it was not discontinued for quality purposes? Thread after thread of very expensive mechanical issues...some cases with five turbos replaced in a short period of time.
If FCA was going to discontinue models that had questionable quality, they'd have nothing left to sell in North America.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
So you are saying stay away from Dodge?
Stay away from 1st year production vehicles. They always have the most problems. It applies to every auto manufacturer.

Modern cars just have too many electronics and lower quality components which fail prematurely. They are trying to squeeze every last bit of profit out of the vehicles. Stick with what works and what is the most simple, or buy an older car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Stay away from 1st year production vehicles. They always have the most problems. It applies to every auto manufacturer.

Modern cars just have too many electronics and lower quality components which fail prematurely. They are trying to squeeze every last bit of profit out of the vehicles. Stick with what works and what is the most simple, or buy an older car.
If FCA was going to discontinue models that had questionable quality, they'd have nothing left to sell in North America.
Or buy a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, which are the two top selling and most reliable vehicles on the road today. To OP, sounds like you got suckered in by the good looks and I cannot blame you but, I hope you did not pay too much for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my dart, I have a 2013 1.4 and as I have put money into her ( mostly doing things myself) she has been fun to drive and a sharp-looking car. I also recommend ALFAOBD it allows you to make some changes to your car and is a great tool to have to diagnose and can reset the computers which I find makes the car feel new. etc. Anyway, look into the software.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart 1.3 T Manual
27 Posts
It truly seems to be hit or miss with these cars. I have a 1.3T manual sitting at a bout 185.000 miles. Most of what I've had to do is standard maintenance. The slave cylinder was replaced around 70,000, replaced the shift linkage bushing, one bad rear brake caliper, though I replaced all 4 with red ones, and the notorious PCV gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 2013 1.4 turbo. The previous driver had some sort of major motor work at 20,000 which to me is still a new car. Besides that I've had very few issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts