Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the synopsis. About 3-4 weeks ago my dart stalled on me at about 35mph on the highway during a snowstorm, resulting in total loss of control and nearly resulting in a collision.
I figured maybe it was a fluke, so I started the car back up (no issue), and proceeded about 1/4 mile before it stalled again in the same manner. So I veered it off to the side of the road slowly.
I read on here that it could be the oil, and it did seem a little low, so I added a qt or 2, and then it was fine.

fast forward to this weekend, the vehicle has now once again stalled. It has been roughly 800 miles since the last stall, so I checked the oil. That was fine. I have checked all fuses, connections, listened to the fuel pump, and everything to me seems fine.. the car did have code p0441, for an evaporator system, but most of what I’ve read says that is likely a gas cap.
Please somebody help me out here, as the vehicle is extremely dangerous, and I cannot replicate the problem to a mechanic

·
Administrator
5,648 Posts
How many miles on your Dart? Do you wait until the oil monitor says zero to change your oil?
There could be pending codes. Try another scanner that can read pending codes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles on your Dart? Do you wait until the oil monitor says zero to change your oil?
There could be pending codes. Try another scanner that can read pending codes.
My dart hit 100k miles this week, I usually change my oil about every 5k miles. I do not have access to another scanner currently unless I order something online.

·
Administrator
5,648 Posts
It could be the fuel pump motor. Does it take longer than usual cranking to start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be the fuel pump motor. Does it take longer than usual cranking to start?
It never has any problem starting, even after the stalling happens. I did however notice a negative ground terminal was loose, upon some testing I was able to duplicate the issue while the vehicle was running, and I believe it is a hard short from the ground cable. I will keep this thread updated with anything new I figure out incase others need to reference it. I will be getting a new cable and trying it soon!

·
Administrator
5,648 Posts
A short would blow a fuse. Most likely loose cable or poor ground caused by corrosion. Loss of ground could cause a stall.

Reactions: dahhbear

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A short would blow a fuse. Most likely loose cable or poor ground caused by corrosion. Loss of ground could cause a stall.
A totally different issue I have been having, my left high beam doesnt work, but the left headlight low beam, right headlight low and high all work, so none of the fuses should be a problem should they? i can start a new post if necessary!

·
Administrator
5,648 Posts
Darts use a one filament bulb along with a shutter motor in the headlight assembly. You have a shutter motor that isn't working.

·
Administrator
5,648 Posts
If you are missing the access door in the wheel well splash shield, water has splashed into the headlight assembly. Or it just failed. There is no separate shutter motor repair that I am aware of. When you have the low beam selected, the shutter is down. When you select high beam, the shutter is supposed to open to allow full brightness of the bulb. It's why you see a straight horizontal upper top edge to the light when you select low beam. If you are missing the access door in the splash shield, they are cheap at a dealer or pick one up at your local self serve junkyard when you are looking for a replacement headlight assembly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are missing the access door in the wheel well splash shield, water has splashed into the headlight assembly. Or it just failed. There is no separate shutter motor repair that I am aware of. When you have the low beam selected, the shutter is down. When you select high beam, the shutter is supposed to open to allow full brightness of the bulb. It's why you see a straight horizontal upper top edge to the light when you select low beam. If you are missing the access door in the splash shield, they are cheap at a dealer or pick one up at your local self serve junkyard when you are looking for a replacement headlight assembly
i do have the splash shields, but i will look into a new assembly. thank you for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts