Dodge Dart Forum banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dodge started marketing cars with Turbos on 1984 and continued through the mid 90s, then again with the SRT4s in 2000's. During that time the produced more turbo charged vehicles than all other manufacturers combined. None of these vehicles had any Mitsubishi content. Chrysler has built more turbo vehicles than either Subaru or Mitsubishi and for a longer period of time. From 85 through 89 Carroll Shelby built turbo cars based on Dodge FWD models that are true Shelby's that came with Shelby American titles.

I have owned an 85 Daytona Turbo, 86 Daytona Turbo Z, 89 Shelby Daytona and an 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (same powertrain as the NSRT).

Dodge knows how to build turbo cars.
Conquest tsi=mitsubishi thus the only rwd 4 cylinder turbo I've ever known mitsubishi to produce. Eagle talon plymouth laser and the stealth were mitsubishi same motors trans chassis some minor cosmetic changes akin to the mitsubishi 3000gt and 3000gt vr4 variants and the talon/laser were a variant of the mitsubishi eclipse gs, gst, gsx. None the less all body panels will swap. The 2.4 turbo in the srt4 was designed by chrysler/lamborgini group. After the partnership was over between chrysler and mitsubishi I believe the awesome eclipse that we all know and love was produced for one more year in 1999 but then was dropped probably due to the evo becoming mitsubishi's flagship car.im not saying they dropped the eclipse just the awd turbo and fwd turbo editions. So yes all of those cars had mitsubishi influence in fact the only thing chrysler made were the body panels for there versions of the cars. The motor for the nsrt was designated for the neon and was later carried over to the pt cruiser how ever with out lamborgini or Mitsubishi none of this would have been possible. And again with fiat in control you can bet you're peachy little darts well be seeing something fantstico <----- yes I said that in Italian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dodge started marketing cars with Turbos on 1984 and continued through the mid 90s, then again with the SRT4s in 2000's. During that time the produced more turbo charged vehicles than all other manufacturers combined. None of these vehicles had any Mitsubishi content. Chrysler has built more turbo vehicles than either Subaru or Mitsubishi and for a longer period of time. From 85 through 89 Carroll Shelby built turbo cars based on Dodge FWD models that are true Shelby's that came with Shelby American titles.

I have owned an 85 Daytona Turbo, 86 Daytona Turbo Z, 89 Shelby Daytona and an 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (same powertrain as the NSRT).

Dodge knows how to build turbo cars.
Very true. Dodge didn't always borrow it's FWD turbo variants from Mitsubishi. Hell, they used to have a turbo version of the Caravan (not from Mitsubishi) :). And lets not forget the Dodge Omni GLH (one of my dream cars that you just can't find).

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Exactly what I think they are going to do is another 2.4 and to let you know there was only a few spec changes from the nsrt to the csrt with the motor other then that it was still a 2.4 dohc turbo but the caliber was a fail
The CSRT engine was a World Engine design jointly developed with Hyundai, Mitsu and DCX, other than displacement and having a turbo it shared nothing with the A853/5 in the GT Crusier/SRT-4 which was developed in Mexico

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Conquest tsi=mitsubishi thus the only rwd 4 cylinder turbo I've ever known mitsubishi to produce. Eagle talon plymouth laser and the stealth were mitsubishi same motors trans chassis some minor cosmetic changes akin to the mitsubishi 3000gt and 3000gt vr4 variants and the talon/laser were a variant of the mitsubishi eclipse gs, gst, gsx. None the less all body panels will swap. The 2.4 turbo in the srt4 was designed by chrysler/lamborgini group. After the partnership was over between chrysler and mitsubishi I believe the awesome eclipse that we all know and love was produced for one more year in 1999 but then was dropped probably due to the evo becoming mitsubishi's flagship car.im not saying they dropped the eclipse just the awd turbo and fwd turbo editions. So yes all of those cars had mitsubishi influence in fact the only thing chrysler made were the body panels for there versions of the cars. The motor for the nsrt was designated for the neon and was later carried over to the pt cruiser how ever with out lamborgini or Mitsubishi none of this would have been possible. And again with fiat in control you can bet you're peachy little darts well be seeing something fantstico <----- yes I said that in Italian
Where do you come up with this stuff???? Chrysler and Lamborghini did not co-develop the 2.4 in the SRT-4. It was developed by Chrysler in Mexico where they have been using 2.4 turbos since the mid 90's.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Where do you come up with this stuff???? Chrysler and Lamborghini did not co-develop the 2.4 in the SRT-4. It was developed by Chrysler in Mexico where they have been using 2.4 turbos since the mid 90's.
lol I did say it was partially developed by chrysler/partially developed by lamborgini it was a joint effort. 90% of there turbo cars were developed by other companies/partnership companies in the time frame. The 4g63 had some issues that were easily taken care of but to be blunt it was just due to the massive production of the motor across many different cars. I'm here in the warren truck plant rite now as we speak. I have tons of confidence in dodge. But only when we have some one with us.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 2.4 turbo in the srt4 was designed by chrysler/lamborgini group.
Actually the 2.4 turbo in the NSRT and PT Cruiser GT came from the World Engine Alliance which was made up of Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

Chrysler only owned Lamborghini for 5 years or so between the late 80's and early 90's. That relationship was over long before the 2.4 came along.

The Chrysler TC by Maserati of the mid 80's had a turbo Chrysler 2.2 with a Maserati designed twin cam 16 valve head as one of the available engines.

The Lotus did a lot of the development of the twin cam 16 valve head that was used on the early mid 90's turbo 2.2 in the Daytona R/T and the Spirit R/T.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Actually the 2.4 turbo in the NSRT and PT Cruiser GT came from the World Engine Alliance which was made up of Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

Chrysler only owned Lamborghini for 5 years or so between the late 80's and early 90's. That relationship was over long before the 2.4 came along.

The Chrysler TC by Maserati of the mid 80's had a turbo Chrysler 2.2 with a Maserati designed twin cam 16 valve head as one of the available engines.

The Lotus did a lot of the development of the twin cam 16 valve head that was used on the early mid 90's turbo 2.2 in the Daytona R/T and the Spirit R/T.
The Caliber SRT had the GEMA World Engine not the NSRT and GT Cruiser. They had the Mexican turbo 2.4 not the GEMA engine

·
Registered
166 Posts

Exactly my point. I didn't go that in depth with my explanation I was always in understanding that it was chrysler lamborgini group in Mexico that developed the motor. Plus I'm a huge dsm nerd so I know all about them. Either way you're statement just furthers my point. Thanks for the correction It makes more since that hyundi and mitsubishi had a hand in it. Especially with the reliability of the nsrt motor. When it comes to turbo cars some one els has always been around and had a hand in creating them with chrysler it's just the sad truth

161 - 168 of 168 Posts
About this Discussion
167 Replies
34 Participants
b3ar2264
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing