Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of questions regarding the future of the Dart SRT4....Will it be AWD? How much power does Dodge want to achieve? What engine will it have??? IMO, they should lighten it a bit....Keep it FWD or RWD (w/LSD) and tune it for around 270hp (develop optional "staged kits" for those who want more power/performance)...6spd manual only (keeping production costs low). I'm thinking of the Genesis Coupe and Mazdaspeed 3 for comparisons. Both those cars make around the same power and cost about the same price. I just think a 300hp+ AWD Dart will be too expensive. You're literally playing in EVO/STI/370z territory in terms of price and the Dart doesn't have the history/following to justify competing in that market. The Neon SRT4 was a helluva car for the money....It could run with cars costing much more....I think the new SRT4 has to be in the $25k range for price (starting anyway)....Again comparing to the MS3 and Gen Coupe.

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,437 Posts
The genesis base is like 27k and has nothing equipped at that price. I think that should be the starting point. Gives a 6k leap over the standard dart. Enough to make up cost.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked on hyundai's site. The genesis coupe starts at 24k. The sedan may be higher.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ITT people forget that there is an AWD hatch that starts mid 20's called the WRX.
Very true. If Dodge can deliver an awd srt4 for mid 20's, more power to them. Does anyone think theyd do rwd instead? It would prob be cheaper than awd while still offering a balance between speed and handling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A few years ago I would have said there is no chance it's RWD. With the genesis and FR-S/BRZ being popular 4 cylinder RWD cars, I would now say that most likely the Dart SRT won't be RWD. RWD and 4 cylinder is doable, I just don't think there is much of a chance in an econo car like the Dart. For as much hate as FWD gets, it can still make for an extremely fun car. Just look at the Focus ST, both SRT-4s, etc. It's cheap and durable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fwd will likely limit stock hp. Theyll have to go with a new driveline configuration if they hope to up the ante from previous models in terms of power. Id want weight savings and minimal toys in the car. Dont need remote start, backup cam, etc. It will be interesting to see what dodge decides to do with the new srt4

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
Lots of questions regarding the future of the Dart SRT4....Will it be AWD? How much power does Dodge want to achieve? What engine will it have??? IMO, they should lighten it a bit....Keep it FWD or RWD (w/LSD) and tune it for around 270hp (develop optional "staged kits" for those who want more power/performance)...6spd manual only (keeping production costs low). I'm thinking of the Genesis Coupe and Mazdaspeed 3 for comparisons. Both those cars make around the same power and cost about the same price. I just think a 300hp+ AWD Dart will be too expensive. You're literally playing in EVO/STI/370z territory in terms of price and the Dart doesn't have the history/following to justify competing in that market. The Neon SRT4 was a helluva car for the money....It could run with cars costing much more....I think the new SRT4 has to be in the $25k range for price (starting anyway)....Again comparing to the MS3 and Gen Coupe.
So you want the SRT to be the same price as the GT? Sure..........

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you want the SRT to be the same price as the GT? Sure..........
Well... Thats another issue. Darts are so well equipped already. The sticker on a ddct rallye can be like 22k+.... Limited being even more. The original srt4 started at 20k. Granted, it wasnt nearly as equipped as darts are. But check this out for comparison. A top trimmed na veloster with manual trans is about $22.4k. A base turbo veloster (which comes pretty well equipped btw) is just $500 more. A base turbo v lacks panoramic roof, nav and backup camera compared to a maxxed out na model. What this tells me is that it's possible for a srt4 to be "reasonably priced" again depending on alot of factors. Do we even know how GT's will be equipped? Is it just a Limited with a bigger engine and wheels?....Key factors with the SRT will be drivetrain and how they fit it into the existing Dart lineup. Using my Veloster comparison earlier, Hyundai didnt build ontop of a maxxed out N/A model. They took a step back allowing for a lower cost entry level turbo model. But, you can add all the toys for an extra $2500. An awd srt4 with no options would likely put you at the top of existing Dart price range atleast. Adding bells and whistles will obviously make the price go up from there. A rwd or fwd srt can be "in the ballpark" of existing trims again depending on options. See Mazda MS3 and Genesis Coupe as examples based on their starting price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well... Thats another issue. Darts are so well equipped already. The sticker on a ddct rallye can be like 22k+.... Limited being even more. The original srt4 started at 20k. Granted, it wasnt nearly as equipped as darts are. But check this out for comparison. A top trimmed na veloster with manual trans is about $22.4k. A base turbo veloster (which comes pretty well equipped btw) is just $500 more. A base turbo v lacks panoramic roof, nav and backup camera compared to a maxxed out na model. What this tells me is that it's possible for a srt4 to be "reasonably priced" again depending on alot of factors. Do we even know how GT's will be equipped? Is it just a Limited with a bigger engine and wheels?....Key factors with the SRT will be drivetrain and how they fit it into the existing Dart lineup. Using my Veloster comparison earlier, Hyundai didnt build ontop of a maxxed out N/A model. They took a step back allowing for a lower cost entry level turbo model. But, you can add all the toys for an extra $2500. An awd srt4 with no options would likely put you at the top of existing Dart price range atleast. Adding bells and whistles will obviously make the price go up from there. A rwd or fwd srt can be "in the ballpark" of existing trims again depending on options. See Mazda MS3 and Genesis Coupe as examples based on their starting price.
What makes you think RWD would be any cheaper than AWD? They would still have engineer from scratch an entire new driveline and I'm not even sure if the Darts' underbody has space for the driveline or transfer case in the rear.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Two thoughts:

From what I've read they have all but nixed an SRT Dart. It's not been flat killed off, but its not Ralph's number 1 objective either. That doesn't seem very ambitious at all.

If nobody ever went out and did something badass because they didn't have a following or a history then nothing badass would ever get done. Push the Dart in the Rally Cross and WRC and whatever else you can to give it some exposure (not just one car, in one race series). Then drop it like its hot. I for one would do everything within my power to purchase an AWD Dart with 300 some odd ponies and handling competitive with the aforementioned vehicles. Talking mid 30k right? If it has the performance, people will buy it. Younger people (in general) are not so brand loyal as the older generations (in general).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, last time I looked they were 227 hp which is not impressive, considering the drivetrain loss of AWD.
I think the newer wrxs are 260hp if im not mistaken. In regard to rwd vs awd...Sure major changes would need to be made either way but rwd is less complex (esp compared to these modern awd systems) so that would likely equate to a lesser cost overall. Id rather dodge drop the gt. Imo, its like a half baked performance model.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would bet on there being an SRT Dart because the real purpose of the SRTs is to get you into the showroom, or talking about Chrysler vehicles.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Honestly I think there will be a Dart SRT4 but not any time soon . I think that Dodge will work on recovering from the market loss in this segment from the Caliper then in 2-3+ years they'll release a new gen of Darts, then announce an SRT model, then however long it takes to develop build and ship. It will be interesting at any rate if any SRT model is made based on the repositioning of the SRT brand as a whole.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I don't see a Dart ever being made with RWD. It would have to be designed that way from the beginning, and with money being so tight right now that's not going to happen. This car was made to get the corporate mpg's up. Even the mid-size Avenger/200 is FWD. Maybe with the second gen. Dart we might see an SRT model but I doubt it will happen with the first gen. Sales have been so slow they'll probably only do slight design changes for the next gen. car.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
About this Discussion
167 Replies
34 Participants
b3ar2264
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing