Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend recently acquired a used 2013 Dart Limited. The driver's side low beam started going on and off intermittently.

We went in to change the bulbs with halogen 9012s and found this aftermarket HID conversion kit. From what I can tell, it seems like the whole thing is just plugged into the manufacturer's 9012 socket.

Question time:
1. It looks like I can just remove this whole assembly and install a halogen 9012 bulb. Would that work?
2. I can't tell if this is a CANbus ballast or not, but all I can find online is conflicting information anyway. Some say a CANbus ballast is all you need. Some say you'll break your car without a relay. Some say the relay will break your car. Some say a warning canceller doesn't do anything, some say you'll break your car without one.
So
2a) What am I looking at?
2b) What should be here?
2c) Is the bulb going out intermittently because of a bad ballast or because I'm missing some other critical component?
2d) Should I just throw this in the trash and buy a whole new assembly with the right parts?

Thanks folks. I've been getting pissed off for like three days trying to figure out what to do with this thing.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Tread

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
184 Posts
I my opinion, ditch the HID aftermarket crap and go back to a SIlverstar zXe bulb...FOR NOW. There are also LED kits from Sylvania that do work with their CANBUS adapters but they are not cheap. The zXe bulbs are plenty bright and a much cleaner, whiter light as far as I can tell anyway, two years running now and no issues at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's what she's leaning toward right now. I'm looking for someone to verify that I can just disconnect the entire harness from the 9012 socket and plug in the normal 9012 bulb. Like there's probably not other stuff installed somewhere else to make this stupid thing work, right?

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
184 Posts
I think that's what she's leaning toward right now. I'm looking for someone to verify that I can just disconnect the entire harness from the 9012 socket and plug in the normal 9012 bulb. Like there's probably not other stuff installed somewhere else to make this stupid thing work, right?
Probably not, most HID's are designed to be Plug and Play so if they were working probably a ballast issue now. Simple check, go buy a bulb, plug it in and turn on the headlights...you won't blow anything up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My girlfriend recently acquired a used 2013 Dart Limited. The driver's side low beam started going on and off intermittently.

We went in to change the bulbs with halogen 9012s and found this aftermarket HID conversion kit. From what I can tell, it seems like the whole thing is just plugged into the manufacturer's 9012 socket.

Question time:
1. It looks like I can just remove this whole assembly and install a halogen 9012 bulb. Would that work?
2. I can't tell if this is a CANbus ballast or not, but all I can find online is conflicting information anyway. Some say a CANbus ballast is all you need. Some say you'll break your car without a relay. Some say the relay will break your car. Some say a warning canceller doesn't do anything, some say you'll break your car without one.
So
2a) What am I looking at?
2b) What should be here?
2c) Is the bulb going out intermittently because of a bad ballast or because I'm missing some other critical component?
2d) Should I just throw this in the trash and buy a whole new assembly with the right parts?

Thanks folks. I've been getting pissed off for like three days trying to figure out what to do with this thing.

View attachment 129157
View attachment 129156
That setup look's about right. . .

Some aftermarket HID systems do not work on MOPAR vehicles. and that is because of the frequency the CAN BUS system is looking for is the same as what the HID system is putting out.
but as long as you have a HID ballast that has a CAN BUS system signal correction sender the car will not know the differences between a halogen light bulb and the HID system in place because the CAN BUS system thinks it is a regular halogen bulb in place.

·
Registered
2014 Aero 1.4T 6 sp manual
25 Posts
I have basically the same setup. You can just remove everything and go back to the original bulb. My passenger side one has been a little finicky since I installed them. I have been able to just turn off the headlights and back on to give it another go at lighting. I can't recall a time in 3 years I had to try a 3rd time. Once they light they'll stay lit. I love the HIDs, they're just a little different animal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts