Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know (or maybe even bought) about the early red rallaye sxt 1.4T manual units that each dealer got back in the summer for test drives? My dealer still has theirs and there is a sticker on drivers window that explains that "this is a test vehicle used to determine real world early problems, etc., and it is for sale. Funny thing is, no big time discounts - yet there is a thousand plus miles on it! How can this not be a major discount unit - plus they don't have any "service" history on it. So if it had any issues, I guess they were fixed. But still.... wouldn't this be a "new, untitled , yet used mileage wise unit with depreciation big time?

·
Registered
153 Posts
While I am not a Dodge insider, I'd be happy to shed some light on this for you. (I'm not trying to speak out of turn, so someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong!) It seems that most-all of the dealerships got in one Redline Rallye with the 1.4T and manual transmission during the summer. They were used for test drives, but were also sold. I think that you'll find that several members of this site have those "early run" vehicles and have not had any more (or fewer) issues arise than the rest of us. From a "personal experience" side of things, I drove one of those early run units for two months. There was a shipping error at BAP, and my car was sitting (for 2 months) at the plant. The dealer, in their excitement to squeak in one more deal, had me complete my paperwork on the day the car was to arrive. (With the written promise that they would buy the car back, no harm-no foul, if I found any issues on delivery.) The car didn't come that day, though, and they put me up in one of those test-drive units until my car came in. During those two months, I put about 3,000 miles on the car. When my car arrived, the odometer on the test-unit was at about 3,700 miles. I was kind to the car during the break-in period, and maintained it as though it was my own throughout the time I had it. There was one issue, which was fixed promptly, and my dealer put me in a Charger R/T while I was waiting for the test-unit to be fixed. My test-unit car was sold, less than two-weeks later, without any additional incentives.

All things considered, it is important to remember that your dealer is the one in charge of pricing and incentives on the vehicle that you are looking at. Due to the mileage, and the age of the unit, they may be wanting to move the car as soon as possible. It is likely that there is some wiggle room, on the bottom price, that you will not be aware of until you talk to a salesman in order to price the car out. If you are firm, and make a clear case, you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't be shocked, however, if the dealer is just as firm on their price. They are holding a new unit with only a thousand miles on it. They may not see any reason to add any incentives in order to move the car. If that is the case, you'll have to decide what the car is worth to you. Are you willing to pay near sticker for a test-unit with questionable history, or would you rather purchase/order a new one?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't the Customer Satisfaction Audit sticker? What we do at the factory is pull finished vehicles and drive them no more than about 40 miles. This is to check for squeaks, rattles, leaks, etc. More in depth than the quality checks already in place on the line. If you saw that Dart with 1,000+ miles, blame the dealership for that.[SUP][/SUP]

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is very interesting and the first I've heard of these 'test' vehicles.
I used the term "test-vehicle" fairly loosely and for lack of a better term. Dad's dart had used that terminology in describing the vehicle that he was looking at, so I used it in my response. The vehicle that I was referring to was simply one of the Redline Rallye's that most dealerships got during the summer. Sorry for the confusion!

Also, I completely agree that the dealership is the entity to talk to about the mileage!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've seen a picture of those audit stickers before. That sounds like it might be what you saw. I bought that "first Dart" from my dealership and have had no problems, and it didn't have a "test vehicle" sticker. Just the 440 miles between the Texas Motor Speedway and the dealership. :)

Find out where they got it from. Those cars were picked up by dealers from race tracks around the country. Those miles may have been largely from the "drive home" like mine were.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Those "Test Vehicle" stickers come on probably 1 out of every 10 vehicles we get. Most of them have less than 200 miles on them when we get them.
The 1000 miles on the car at the dealer tells me it was either a demo unit for the dealer or it is a vehicle that they got from the drive away back when they first came out and they put a ton of miles on it driving it back home from the event. These vehicles were not shipped to the dealers. They were shipped to a dealer near the drive away events and then delivered to the event and then driven by the dealers back to the dealerships.

The factory has test sites that they can drive vehicles at for how many ever miles to spot check whatever they want to check.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
How many spots would a spot checker check if a spot checker could check spots?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I could be wrong but the dealer is allowed to drive a certain amount of miles before it becomes "used". They don't have to offer any incentives if they don't want to since it is still technically used, but they will have a harder time selling the car if they don't..

Why would I pay the same for a "new" car with 1k miles than a new car with 0 miles??

·
Registered
279 Posts
How many spots would a spot checker check if a spot checker could check spots?
Hundreds+!!!

You don't wanna see our paperwork!

Reactions: suzq044

·
Registered
248 Posts
My father told me that after 500 miles, Chrysler thinks of it as a used car. It can be sold with the remaining manufacturers warranty, but is no longer a new car. I have seen a dealer try to pawn such a car off on an unsuspecting customer (my brother), I have seen dealers give deep discounts ($6000 on a Compass) in return for the customer signing an odometer statement with less than 500 miles listed, and I have seen dealers sell them as "program" cars.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My father told me that after 500 miles, Chrysler thinks of it as a used car. It can be sold with the remaining manufacturers warranty, but is no longer a new car. I have seen a dealer try to pawn such a car off on an unsuspecting customer (my brother), I have seen dealers give deep discounts ($6000 on a Compass) in return for the customer signing an odometer statement with less than 500 miles listed, and I have seen dealers sell them as "program" cars.
The program cars are usually registered as demos or loaner cars. The dealer puts them into the system as a loaner car and then collects money from teh manufacture to loan them out then sells them later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My factory ordered Limited came with a sticker stating that it had been 'tested' and it had aroud 34 miles on it. It has worked fine with no problems.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ours is the very one. Bought from St. Clair Chrysler.. They drove it down for the Detroit event.. They showed me a picture of it on the display platform. Kinda neat. Had 314 miles on it when we got it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts