Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I unplugged the grill shutters in the open position would I trip a check engine light?

And would the loss of the aerodynamic gains when the grill is closed outweigh air flow cooling the engine?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just wondering if I unplugged the grill shutters in the open position would I trip a check engine light? And would the loss of the aerodynamic gains when the grill is closed outweigh air flow cooling the engine?
The car won't detect the grill shutters and more then likely you'll get a CEL. Second question I have no answer for :/

·
Super Moderator
5,811 Posts
@jammer41, I'm on my phone, but check out the first post of my build thread (link is in my signature) and I have a chapter dedicated to experiments (as well as some q&a's) with the AGS fins...

Like @Dartashane77 mentioned though, I too don't recommend just "unplugging" them... :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@jammer41, I'm on my phone, but check out the first post of my build thread (link is in my signature) and I have a chapter dedicated to experiments (as well as some q&a's) with the AGS fins...

Like @Dartashane77 mentioned though, I too don't recommend just "unplugging" them... :)
Oh sweet, thanks @youngsmith53 I'll get to the reading.

·
Registered
674 Posts
@jammer41 I removed without CEL.... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Headlamp

Fabbed up a bracket to stop the ags arm....then tucked it under my intercooler

Reactions: youngsmith53

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
If you unplug it, you'll get a CEL and the radiator fans will run all the time. Don't do that. Just remove the assembly and put a screw into the motor assembly where the arm would normally stop when the shutters are open/closed (there's a stop built in for one of the positions already, only one screw is needed).

Plug the motor back it and secure it somewhere out of the way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just to solve my curiosity, everyone is trying to get any available power from these cars, the shutters are there to make them more aerodynamic. Why would anyone want to remove them, unless your changing the look of the front end. If the car is overheating, its not because there not getting enough air, there is something wrong with the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,811 Posts
Just to solve my curiosity, everyone is trying to get any available power from these cars, the shutters are there to make them more aerodynamic. Why would anyone want to remove them, unless your changing the look of the front end. If the car is overheating, its not because there not getting enough air, there is something wrong with the car.
You are correct AGS is there for aerodynamics... but not there for "power". The AGS fins when closed direct air flow to bottom of the car for aerodynamics, but as a result they also close off the radiator, which in turn is not getting cold air, thus affecting the MPG's equaling a hotter engine. A hotter engine raises the internal temperatures thus raising the MPG's. Edmunds does a good job stating this here: Active Grille Shutters Are Latest Way To Improve Fuel Efficiency | Edmunds.com

Simply put: Cold Air = Less MPG, but more power / Warm Air = More MPG's, but less power.

The reason you want to open up the AGS is to let the engine breath and get air into the engine, I currently run with 6 AGS fins deleted along with the oil drain panel removed from the Aero plate. The oil panel once removed acts like a vacuum to pull air through the radiator and through the engine bay thus increasing engine cooling. Doing this I was still able to get upwards to 35 MPGs per tank in my lowly ol 2.0. Hopefully this helps ya understand what we're trying to accomplish here as it is a "practical cheap mod" to get a different effect on the engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wondering if I unplugged the grill shutters in the open position would I trip a check engine light?

And would the loss of the aerodynamic gains when the grill is closed outweigh air flow cooling the engine?
Yes your engine light will be on and you will recieve a code and also will have to reflashed it

·
Registered
22 Posts

You can unplung it if you are working on it but you will have to plug back in after you done and your battery unplug before everything

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I only removed the middle 4 shutters. I have had no issues with any lights and I did see an improvement in how long it took before heat soak set in. Now, if you live in a colder climate...it will take longer in the winter for the engine to heat up to proper working temp for the turbo. But this is a price I gladly pay while my turbo wiggles with glee from all the nice cold air in the winter. I also need all the help I can get in the HUMID Alabama summer air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts