Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I noticed I had two small leaks in the engine. One was a coolant line, which a simple hose clamp fixed, but the other looked a bit more serious. After further inspection, it turns out my brake vacuum pump is slowly leaking oil. It could possibly be the gasket, or it could be the pump. I think that our engine doesn't create enough vacuum, so it has an additional pump for the brakes, and mine is leaking oil onto the transmission. This is good, as I thought my trans or engine block had issues - whew!

I found the part (04892641AB) online, and they are all about $230 and up. I also found them on ebay, for as little as $57.00. The part looks like this:

I understand it sits on the engine block, and I think I read that the camshaft has to be set to the middle to pull it off. Has anyone replaced this part, or at least removed it? I want to know if I need any special alignment tools to do so. I have to pull it off to see if it is the gasket, and I just want to be sure before doing so.

New part link

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Damn son... this looks like some fun!

·
Super Moderator
3,296 Posts
PUMP, Vacuum / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Remove the engine cover (1).
dart14vacuumpump1.jpg

2.Remove the air cleaner body (6) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Removal) .
dart14vacuumpump2.jpg

3.Disconnect the PCV hose (1) from the intake manifold.

4.Disconnect the vent hose (3) from the oil filler neck.

5.Remove three bolts (2) and remove the oil separator housing (4) from the cylinder head cover.
dart14vacuumpump3.jpg

CAUTION:
When servicing components near the vacuum pump, avoid contact with the plastic nipple that connects the vacuum pump to the brake booster hose. It is possible to crack the plastic nipple resulting in a brake booster vacuum leak.

6.Remove the battery (4) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Battery System/BATTERY - Removal) .
dart14vacuumpump4.jpg

7.Remove two bolts (2), one nut (3) and reposition the oil separator housing bracket (1).
dart14vacuumpump5.jpg

NOTE:
Oil may leak from the vacuum pump drive when the pump is removed. Place a shop towel under the pump to prevent oil leakage onto the engine or transmission assembly.

8.Disconnect the vacuum line at the pump (1).

9.Remove the vacuum pump mounting bolts (2) and the vacuum pump (1).
dart14vacuumpump6.jpg

10.Remove and discard the vacuum pump gasket (1). Note the location of the pump drive tab.
dart14vacuumpump7.jpg

11.If required, remove the screw (1) and the vacuum fitting (2).
dart14vacuumpump8.jpg

12.The vacuum fitting O-ring seal (1) can be reused if not damaged.
dart14vacuumpump9.jpg

PUMP, Vacuum / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.The vacuum fitting O-ring seal (1) can be reused if not damaged. If removed, lightly lubricate the O-ring seal (1) with clean engine oil and install on the vacuum fitting.

2.If removed, install the vacuum fitting (2) to the vacuum pump with the screw (1) tightened to 8 N·m (71 in. lbs.).

3.Clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder head and the vacuum pump. Install a new vacuum pump gasket (1).

4.Align the pump drive tab with the pump drive slot located on the cam shaft.

5.Install the vacuum pump mounting bolts (2). Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.).

6.Connect the vacuum supply line to the pump (1).

7.Install the oil separator housing bracket (1) with two bolts (2) and one nut (3). Tighten the three fasteners to 13 N·m (115 in. lbs.).

CAUTION:
When servicing components near the vacuum pump, avoid contact with the plastic nipple that connects the vacuum pump to the brake booster hose. It is possible to crack the plastic nipple resulting in a brake booster vacuum leak.

8.Install the battery (4) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Battery System/BATTERY - Installation) .

9.Install the oil separator housing (4) to the cylinder head cover with three bolts (2) tightened to 13 N·m (115 in. lbs.).

10.Connect the vent hose (3) to the oil filler neck.

11.Connect the PCV hose (1) to the intake manifold.

12.Install the air cleaner body (6) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Installation) .

13.Install the engine cover (1).

14.Run the engine a check the vacuum pump for proper operation.

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
211 Posts
The vacuum pump doesn't require the cam to be in any one position. It's driven the same way a distributor is, just remove anything in the way of the pump, remove the hoses, unbolt the 3 bolts, then pull out.
Correct, just line the nubs on the vacuum pump shaft up with the slots on the end of the cam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PUMP, Vacuum / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Remove the engine cover (1).
View attachment 85833

2.Remove the air cleaner body (6) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Removal) .
View attachment 85841

3.Disconnect the PCV hose (1) from the intake manifold.

4.Disconnect the vent hose (3) from the oil filler neck.

5.Remove three bolts (2) and remove the oil separator housing (4) from the cylinder head cover.
View attachment 85849

CAUTION:

6.Remove the battery (4) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Battery System/BATTERY - Removal) .
View attachment 85857

7.Remove two bolts (2), one nut (3) and reposition the oil separator housing bracket (1).
View attachment 85865

NOTE:
Oil may leak from the vacuum pump drive when the pump is removed. Place a shop towel under the pump to prevent oil leakage onto the engine or transmission assembly.

8.Disconnect the vacuum line at the pump (1).

9.Remove the vacuum pump mounting bolts (2) and the vacuum pump (1).
View attachment 85873

10.Remove and discard the vacuum pump gasket (1). Note the location of the pump drive tab.
View attachment 85881

11.If required, remove the screw (1) and the vacuum fitting (2).
View attachment 85889

12.The vacuum fitting O-ring seal (1) can be reused if not damaged.
View attachment 85897

PUMP, Vacuum / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.The vacuum fitting O-ring seal (1) can be reused if not damaged. If removed, lightly lubricate the O-ring seal (1) with clean engine oil and install on the vacuum fitting.

2.If removed, install the vacuum fitting (2) to the vacuum pump with the screw (1) tightened to 8 N·m (71 in. lbs.).

3.Clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder head and the vacuum pump. Install a new vacuum pump gasket (1).

4.Align the pump drive tab with the pump drive slot located on the cam shaft.

5.Install the vacuum pump mounting bolts (2). Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.).

6.Connect the vacuum supply line to the pump (1).

7.Install the oil separator housing bracket (1) with two bolts (2) and one nut (3). Tighten the three fasteners to 13 N·m (115 in. lbs.).

CAUTION:

8.Install the battery (4) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Battery System/BATTERY - Installation) .

9.Install the oil separator housing (4) to the cylinder head cover with three bolts (2) tightened to 13 N·m (115 in. lbs.).

10.Connect the vent hose (3) to the oil filler neck.

11.Connect the PCV hose (1) to the intake manifold.

12.Install the air cleaner body (6) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Installation) .

13.Install the engine cover (1).

14.Run the engine a check the vacuum pump for proper operation.
found this. will see if it is my issue.
db

1 - 8 of 8 Posts