Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like either Plasti dip or paint. They color matched or chromed the crosshairs on alot of cars, but it was always the outer part of the cross hair that was painted, with it black in the middle. Since the red is in the middle they prolly did it themselves.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
127 Posts
Mopar accessories sells inserts that you might like.

Would not be hard to make a pattern and have anything you wanted cut for that matter.

If you find what you want check ebay, I have the billet grille $400 in my SRT project (blasted and powder coated black) but scored it for $90.

·
Registered
906 Posts
..Wait heat gun to peel it off?
Yeah that red part in your image is basically a big plastic sticker. Its held on with sticky tape. So I used a heat gun to heat it up and was able to lift a corner and gradually peel it off while applying heat but not hold it in a spot for too long to melt it. The I removed the adhesive and added new 3m tape during re installation.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
127 Posts
Gonna show my age here but what is plastidip? A spray paint? Id of just lightly sanded it and used a $12 spray can of automotive paint that has a UV protectant in it. Oddly I can paint whole cars with the old school gun and the new but I cant get past a spray can unless its flat black. So I understand your mixed results...

Can we get a pic of this horrible deal?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Gonna show my age here but what is plastidip? A spray paint? Id of just lightly sanded it and used a $12 spray can of automotive paint that has a UV protectant in it. Oddly I can paint whole cars with the old school gun and the new but I cant get past a spray can unless its flat black. So I understand your mixed results...

Originally it was a rubberized coating that came in a can to dip tools and other stuff in. Then all the sudden they put it in spray cans and people started spraying wheels and emblems with it. Check out "DipYourCar" on Youtube, they are a huge plasti-dip dealer. Now people paint entire cars have candy and metallics etc. If you do it though you have to put it on thick or it will be a pain in the butt to try and remove later on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
plasti dip waht i get is sprayable plastic paint that you can peel

Already removed,was a pain in the ass..im just about to take it to a shop and pay extra -_-'

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
127 Posts
I get it, I use the "handle" type dip in a can for some resto stuff. Did not know it was spray able. I noticed a lot of the cheap china tools come with some sort of rubber dip on them also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a bit later update... i gave up lol but ..now im wondering how to paint any of the plastic exterior parts? (like the parts around the fog lights etc)

i've heard there was some "permanent" plastic pen/marker (not sure which one is good.there is many)...found some red tape for outdoor but i think its too thick :/

·
Registered
906 Posts
a bit later update... i gave up lol but ..now im wondering how to paint any of the plastic exterior parts? (like the parts around the fog lights etc)

i've heard there was some "permanent" plastic pen/marker (not sure which one is good.there is many)...found some red tape for outdoor but i think its too thick :/
I can only say what I did on my 71 Camaro when I painted some interior plastics back to black, but I bought SEM brand plastic and leather prep, sand free primer and then the spray specifically for plastics. All from them.

If you are talking about that grey trim, You could probably try a paint pen. You just gotta make sure to clean it well and maybe scuff it slightly to give it some texture to stick to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts