Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had such issue.
My car was at idle today for a little bit off time and I smelt coolent coming out of the exhaust.
Thought nothing off it until I saw actually liquid in exhaust piping after movement. Upon further investigation I can confirm that it is coolent. Any recommendations or ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
When fuel burns, the main byproducts of combustion are H2O (water) and CO2 (carbon dioxide). It is normal for water vapor in the exhaust to become liquid water. Coolant in the exhaust would have a very different sweet smell and lots of visible smoke. If you were getting coolant in the cylinders, you would also be building pressure in the cooling system forcing coolant back in the coolant reservoir and eventually overheating. So big question is what is the level of coolant in the reservoir?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it did smell sweet and it did smell like coolent. The levels of coolent have dropped as I have filled it up today to max and it is now under min.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ouch!

Coolant lines the cylinder walls and basically keeps it cool...if coolant is in your exhaust then there's a leak between the cylinder walls and coolant runs where the head gasket is often the leaky peice in best case scenario...

Now there's also a possibility that you have a big ass hole in your exhaust and coolant is somehow pouring into that, maybe bad heater core lines, but you would have (maybe) noticed the exhaust issue as well.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Unless you are mechanically proficient to do your own engine tear down, get it towed to someone that can diagnose and fix this. I would not drive it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Unless you are mechanically proficient to do your own engine tear down, get it towed to someone that can diagnose and fix this. I would not drive it.
I second this unless the shop is within pushing distance get it towed...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah figured I know I can tear it down and build it back, just trying to explore all possibilities other than bad head gasket. Didn't pay enough attention to see if coolant runs through the turbo and maybe a bad seal in there, that was my only other possible diagnosis. Cant find much online about this car. Except here

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
There are coolant supply and return tubes for the turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts