Dodge Dart Forum banner
941 - 959 of 959 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Yeah during the summer my cooling fan never shut off it would start out low and would get higher and higher and higher and would never cool the thing down till I disabled the ags. My dart has 43 thousand on it now and haven't had any issues
Yeah you won't have any issues unless you just removed it. The car doesn't like that. I am assuming you used AlfaOBD to disable? Because if you just take it out, it throws an engine code and also will blow the fan all the time. But some Darts don't even come with it, so you won't have any issues running without it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This Saturday doing the delay valve delete from deyeme racing and poly mount for the rear and mpx headers already have a modified stock exhaust put in glasspack in place of resonator and just 2.25 all the way back

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
As a matter of fact sensor is still plugged in just removed 4 middle blades that aren't attached to the sensor to allow constant air flow found a video on YouTube
Let's go a bit further since you are in Arizona. I am in Michigan, we get 90 degrees in the summer and the car runs like garbage when the coolant temps rise over 200 degrees(Radiator fans don't kick on until 230 degrees). I removed the following and have NOT had my fans kick on AT ALL last summer. In fact my coolant temps never went above 215.

1) Remove the engine bay cover that sits on top of the engine. This cover acts like a hat, trapping heat from the engine and storing that heat.
2) Remove your underbody aero panel. This is equivalent to your oven door. It is what is keeping all that hot air in the engine bay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Several years ago my car had a miss I brought it over to a friends repair shop put it on his scanner and the fans turned on at 240. It’s always run between half and three quarters on the temp gauge. The miss was a bad spark plug. So far car has run good 214,000 miles between 32-38 mpg.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I ask cuz Subaru design those pans to protect the headers cuz of water causing them to crack
You would literally have to drive through a flood to get water up there. When you turn left or right the tires will throw water off them, but that will be behind the engine bay underneath the vehicle.

Cars were made for decades without the aero bottom panel and there were never common issues with headers cracking.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
You would literally have to drive through a flood to get water up there. When you turn left or right the tires will throw water off them, but that will be behind the engine bay underneath the vehicle.

Cars were made for decades without the aero bottom panel and there were never common issues with headers cracking.
My Blazer has on open bottom and is a 2004. For it's age, the engine bay is mint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought my 2013 Dodge Dart, (Rally-E trim, 2.0, Black, Low Profile tires, Manual trans) in January 2014. The first few years were ok, I live and work in the Detroit Metro area and the roads are really bad. I drive 90% of my miles on the highway. In the time frame I bought the freeway I use the most was going to be rebuilt and it was the subject of neglect, I blew out a tire within a month and learned lesson on the "Rim & Tire" warranty. The warranty wouldn't cover the Hyper-Black rims; only steel rims. That was a "WTF" moment for me. Fortunately, I was able to cancel the warranty because it was in the first month. I got my $700 back for that con job by the dealer and they received a scathing Yelp review.
So after 6 years and 120,000 with this car I can list a bunch of positives and negative.

Pros: I test drove the automatic trans and the pick-up was horrendous so I opted for the manual. I drive all highway so it wasn't going to be a big deal. While not perfect the manual trans has been rock solid, once again its in 6th gear most of the time, but it still functions great. The pickup is lightyears better then the auto-trans.

Paint is still good, no rust anywhere which is surprising in my climate.

Steering works great, good turn radius.

I like layout of the dash and controls.

The seats are for the most part still comfortable. The cushions still give support after all the driving.

Cons: I have to say that the cons really start at years 2 and 3. One thing I don't like is the high cost of seemly simple repairs. It seems labor intensive to repair this vehicle at a shop.

The suspension started to show performance dips almost immediately. I have not replaced any of it as I don't see keeping this car more then another year. The ride is now very bad and getting the low profile tires were a mistake on this car. The ride was rough but tolerable when I bought it, now you can feel going over every crack.

The large screen Uconnect is garbage, Bluetooth will connect to the phone but the Aux will show Not connected or something so you can't stream music. I took it to the dealer and they said they'd updated the software but it didn't help. I'm sure the system is not even supported anymore.

AirCon/Heating: I think there is a short in the system somewhere. For the last few years and more so recently the fan won't kick-on and if I hit a bump it randomly kicks on.

Brakes: Brakes work fine, but replacing them stinks. Based on the Euro/Fiat systems. They have hex screws and a screw piston on the calipers, so if you are a do-it-yourselfer you will need to buy or rent a kit to do this. There is a retention screw that they use during assembly that will rust in place. If you change you brakes yourself spray with WD-40 and let is sit for awhile before you try and work on it.
The Park Brake is not functional anymore. I don't know why, I don't even use it that much, I usually leave it in first gear when I park.
The cable for the reverse shifter has snapped, twice now. This might be one of the most annoying flaws that you inherit with the manual trans.
The driver side parking light blows all the time.

Conclusion: So I work in the auto industry and FCA is a customer and my family has 3 generations that have worked for Chrysler. So I get a good discount. In my dealing with Engineers at FCA I can say that they do more testing on our commodity then any other OEM, but they also will cut corners on quality and they are only concerned about "initial quality" and getting past the warranty period. They see these vehicles as almost disposable and are not concerned about long term reliability. There is a running joke in our company that you don't buy a Chrysler, you lease them because they will fall apart after two years. I wouldn't recommend this car if your looking to keep it for a long time. It can potentially become a money pit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have had my Dart for four plus years now with 83,000 miles on it. The car is a GT(automatic) with the ground effects and functional hood scoop. Other than an early thermostat issue solved under warranty and the trunk randomly opening twice which also was under warranty, the car has been pretty good all things considered. Did a full brake and rotor swap along with the rear wheel bearings around 65k and was easy enough. Car is in the shop now for two leaky rear struts which my extended warranty is covering, but unfortunately they could not duplicate the bluetooth not connecting but said they would have me try when I pick it up. I know it's the telematics module, but they won't just replace it without it failing for them.

Overall I have enjoyed this car and given it to a 16 year old girl now to enjoy and learn on. I have a full set of winter tires as well which make this thing plow thru snow no problems here in Michigan

·
Registered
238 Posts
MY DART IS A 16 GT also with manual. i have been overall pleased by the car. does not burn oil. i have not had to replace brakes yet still on origionals. bought with 20 thousand now has 52. i removed the active grill shutter removed the clutch delay valve. put long tube headers high flow cat and modified exhaust. i live in phoenix where it gets very hot. I do know what you mean about the low profile tires. the fact ur suspension went out so fast could be to poor roads. the tires i got brand new on the car i ate threw them in 20 thousand miles. i now went a size bigger 225 45 18 and i now have goodyear maxlife tires on it and they definately did the trick. treadwear has slowed down alot and ride is a bit smoother. So far have not had any issues with my dart. Interior radio its weird when its really hot on inside radio signal is all static, but once it cools off with ac on it comes back and also tend to have a bluetooth issue once on a while, but able to fix it. my car also has the navigation which has been flawless so far overall pleased with the car so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dart is a limited 2013 and has had so many problems. It also barks for oil after every fill up. It has an oil smell coming thru the interior vents. The dealership is certainly disgusted when they see me coming and l when I see them. its a horrible experience all the way around. The oil smells appears when I let off the gas and come to an abrupt STOP LIKE AT A STOPLIGHT. I have a whining noise about the middle of my car. I had a back yard mechanic tell me it could be the transaxle.and I believe my motor mounts and trans mount need checking😟

941 - 959 of 959 Posts