Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 959 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Chrysler/Dodge fan for a long time and I was in the market for my first vehicle. This was an easy decision after all of the research and competitor comparisons. I only posted this to see if any customers had any feedback to send up the chain to improve the product. This is the thread I wanted to see before I bought the car, but it wouldn't have changed my mind -- I still love this car.

Some flaws or quirks I have found:
  • I Filled My Tank - It Showed At Full Mark - Drove A Mile To Pick Up A Back-up Quart of Oil - Turned Car Back On And Fuel Gauge Read 3/4 A Tank - Turned Off And Back On - Read Normal Again
  • My 1.4L gets average of 25 MPG. -- When I do half highway, half town, I expected a little better -- between 27 Town - 37 HWY as shown.
  • For those a little taller than 6', the head clearance is low.
  • It took a while to get use to the Turbo. The 2-second delay from gas pedal requires "anticipated" driving. Once it registers, It accelerates GREAT and the steering is solid and responsive around corners.
  • When there is a layer of light frost on your car, it makes the back-up sensors go crazy (can't imagine being in a snowy climate) - Yeah, you could keep your car in a garage and not have that problem.
  • Sometimes my blind spot indicator will remain illuminated in the morning for a few minutes when I am the only car on the road and nothing for a signal to bounce off of (no median wall, just empty ditch)
  • I wish they would make an app that controls the car - Starts - Locks - Monitor Status of the systems
  • Pandora Radio Would Be A Cool Ad-On
  • I wish the GPS antenna was the short fin design vs the long antennae. It would make it more professional, and not look like a remote control car.

Like I said, I am a critic of a company I WANT to see do good, but LOVE this car for the price and would buy again in the future.

I am SO thankful for the technology on this car. Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers - Garmin GPS - Auto High Beams - 10 Air Bags - Racetrack Taillights (adds to safety IMO)

Just wanting to see what others think or have experienced. Will not respond if you think I am bashing the Dart. I'm not. =)

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
The fuel-gauge thing is a known issue - I think there's an upcoming flash for it from the dealer.

My BF is 6'4" - he would've had issues if we went with the sunroof, since it drops a good 3-4" out of the top of the car, so to speak.

As for the App, that's coming - hopefully with the R/T should it EVER arrive.

You can change the antenna - they just screw off & you can put a 'shorty' on there. It's an FM antenna not a GPS one. Check ModernPerformance :)

All turbo cars have a little bit of lag. It's just something to get used to. Anticipatory driving isn't exactly a bad thing, IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHA, I had to laugh at your last sentence-- because it is SOO true!! Thanks for the reply and suggestions! I did a lot of browsing since my post, and found a lot of information. I haven't heard anything about an app, but that's great news, too. My first modifications will be the shorter antennae and Power/Go-Pedal or Sprint Booster to make the throttle respond immediately. When I said "anticipated" I didn't mean a lack of situational awareness. For example, the other day I was turning right on to a busy road and I found a good gap to fit into-- to organize and expedite the flow of traffic, right? Well, that 2 second delay threw my spacing off and caught the other driver off guard, so the Sprint Booster add-on will make driving SAFER if you ever find yourself needing immediate reaction-- not just merging on to busy roads, but on the freeway with an assortment of crappy drivers veering into your lane. *or if safety doesn't sell it, Making That Yellow Light W/ Traffic Cameras, Smoking Tires, Fleeing, Drag Racing, in your new compact sedan*

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I wonder what this doing in electronics thread?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's actually an excellent question - i'm gonna 'report' the post so it can get moved, i don't have mod power over here. lol
I know I rambled on, but the main issues:
  1. Gas Gauge Sensor
  2. Throttle Response (Electrical Lag)
Are ELECTRICAL problems in my book. Correct me if I am wrong, or move the thread if you can find a better spot for it. =)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Since day one I've gotten 29-31 MPG with 50/50 highway and city driving. One long trip I took I averaged 36. I dont stomp the gas peddle either tho. Yea I get on it here n there but I like that almost 430 miles to a tank.
One thing I didn't like but figured out the issue was the Bluetooth calling would not hang the call up. The phone would but the head unit hung onto it till I turned off BT on the phone. I noticed once I transferred my contacts onto the phone vs sync from Gmail it works fine now. (Droid RAZR Maxx).
Nothing else to complain about at the moment. I can live with the 2 second lad in acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Dart, but I have a few things to share. I am disappointed in the MPG, but I too have 50/50 city/highway driving. I had the fuel gauge issue twice. Now, while enjoying the winter here in Wisconsin, my fuel door freezes shut and will not open with the push button. My dealer says "it must be frozen." My reply..."Ya think?!?!" Moisture seems to get into the door because the seal is not sealing completely and the latch freezes. I carry a can of spray silicone with me to spray it down each time I fill up (per their suggestion). Not so great for a car with only 5K miles on it. Not convenient to take two people to open the fuel door - one to push the button and the other to pry it open with their fingers...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too still LIKE my car, however I am not madley in LOVE with it anymore... I have put around 2000 miles on it using premium gas and following the brake in suggestions. I drive mostly highway miles so we will say 70% highway and am getting around 28 to 29 mpg. This really bites as mpg was one of the primary reasons I choose this over the chrysler conv. In addition there is something wrong with the drivers seat, it is so uncomfortable like one side of the padding is packed tighter or fuller than the other side. I thought my butt was deformed so let someone else drive the car to work and back (same mileage) and she had the same problem. Yesterday I finally checked out the rest of the seats and did not have a problem with either the passanger or back seats on our trip to town and back. I have taken the car to my dealer and they are supposed to be checking with their rep about my problems but you know how that goes... I looked into trading the car in and would lose almost 5K... so much for that idea.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
I too still LIKE my car, however I am not madley in LOVE with it anymore... I have put around 2000 miles on it using premium gas and following the brake in suggestions. I drive mostly highway miles so we will say 70% highway and am getting around 28 to 29 mpg. This really bites as mpg was one of the primary reasons I choose this over the chrysler conv. In addition there is something wrong with the drivers seat, it is so uncomfortable like one side of the padding is packed tighter or fuller than the other side. I thought my butt was deformed so let someone else drive the car to work and back (same mileage) and she had the same problem. Yesterday I finally checked out the rest of the seats and did not have a problem with either the passanger or back seats on our trip to town and back. I have taken the car to my dealer and they are supposed to be checking with their rep about my problems but you know how that goes... I looked into trading the car in and would lose almost 5K... so much for that idea.
The MPG ratings are only useful in comparing cars. They are only a ball park idea of what you will get in real world driving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is true however when the car is listed at 27 city and 36 highway you should hope to get at least 32 hwy when you drive 66 miles per day round trip to work with 60 miles of that being highway - no stops no yeilds barely any other cars.... and i am buying the premium gas for the dang thing tooo. I feel like granma drivng to wring every mile out it - no jack rabbit starts or accelerations to get up to speed, no sudden braking if I can help it...keeping the rpms below 2500 etc etc etc..Maybe i need to just start driving it normally instead of thinking it to death! I am just disap-pointed because my other car was getting 25/26 and didn't have a hefty car payment- just a TON of miles:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I feel the same way. My last 3 cars were Neons and this isnt a replacement. I drove one of my Neons today and was thinking how nice they are to drive and its gets 35 around town. The shit gas MPG really bites too.

As for the drivers seat, I am 6 foot 180pound male and the left side part of the seat jams into my left leg and starts to hurt after about an hour in the car.

The center console is way too high, any shifting from 1,3,5 results in my elbow jamming the console and sometimes slipping off of the slippery shifter.

I dont have blind spot warning sensors, but I can see that they are needed. Blind spots are huge and its hard to back up too. i have been driving since 1985, so its not like I need practice.

Turbo problems like everyone else.

Way too many electrical and mechanical issues for me.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
You guys realize that if you've got the 1.4L keeping it in low RPM's doesn't guarantee you staying out of boost (which eats the milage). In fact, in my Passat, I was almost out of gas after visiting my new truck (to see if we were still interested), so I kept it at 3000+ because it was boosting more going uphill; keeping it in 4th instead of 5th reduced the boost level, and gave me more MPG, because I was not on the gas as much as a result.

Point of the story is to pay attention to your right foot, not the RPM gauge. Boost is not an on/off switch, it's more like a dimmer switch. The more you're on the gas pedal, the more boost you use. Simple as that; again, keeping lower-than-necessary RPMs will result in you (maybe even subconsciously) pushing the pedal down farther, and therefore raising boost levels. You should be able to watch your "real-time" MPG's plummet when you're using more boost than the engine for power.

You can be going 5mph and be boosting, because you've got it in 2nd gear and 'pedaling' more (low rpm, high boost; low MPG reading)
You can be going 120 and not be boosting; completely off the throttle, downhill (high rpm, no boost; obscenely high MPG reading)

At full boost (~18psi in the Passat), I can get as little as 5mpg; as an example, when flying up an onramp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2 things:
1. Passenger side visor is already sagging
2. Scratches on the other side of the plastic of the gauges, can really see it when the sun shines on it
Do you guys think the dealership can take care of this? Just bought it last night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
-fuel milage not so good.. no better with supreme over reg but it did seem to get a little better once broke in.. still not impressive for a puny engine
-smells like exhaust inside, dealer noticed it too but figured it was stickers burning off.. still smells 13,000km later
-auto headlights shut off on their own while driving the last 2 nights
-fuel door freezing like mentioned
-windshield frosts up on the inside
-touch screen radio and heater controls wouldnt turn on this morning for 30 seconds or so even the heater knobs wouldnt work
-dealer doesnt have oil for it nor can he seem to order it
-tranny is hard to shift in cold weather until it warms up (not really a concern)
-surges when accelerating
-air pressure sensors are not accurate and the friggen light comes on the dash when it is cold out
-when i use my ipod and shut the car off it will sometimes keep its spot but usually re-sets. and if it does remember its place then sometimes it plays in slow mo.. only solution is to unplug the ipod and re attach.. $80 sony xplode in my truck never misses a beat..
-if you roll the rear windows down at all while driving it sounds like a helicopter is landing on the roof..
-loud clunking when you hit a bump in the cold

1 - 20 of 959 Posts