Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my clutch replaced. Do I need new pressure plates and throw out bearing Not sure what gets replaced when I get clutch done.

·
Super Moderator
3,709 Posts
The throw out bearing is also the slave cylinder, the combined part is called the CSC, Concentric Slave Cylinder. You should replace it while you have the trans out because that's the only way to get to it. You would not want to do all that work twice. The pressure plate could be reused as well as the flywheel. Make sure to clean off any grease or corrosion. You may want to re-surface the flywheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DO NOT re-use the pressure plate! Although it is possible it is a bad idea because when your old clutch slips and creates high heat the friction surface of the pressure plate can warp and the stock pressure plates and clutch discs are not great to start with. Purchase a quality plate and disc. The flywheel can be resurface if you can find a shop with the proper equipment, these are a 2 piece flywheel not a single mass like the old days. Depending on your mileage and how long you plan on keeping the car you may want to just replace that as well. I regret not installing the CDV delete when I did mine, would suggest you do that while the work is being done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replaced clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, and did a CDV delete. Went with the FX100 from clutchmasters (virtually the same price as OEM clutch kit), OEM flywheel, and DEYEME Racing CDV delete kit. Modern Performance was where I purchased everything. Definitely suggest getting the upgraded clutch over the OEM, as well as doing the CDV delete.

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
According to Dodge, the only way to do a clutch job on this car is all the components TopGun mentioned. Clutch AND Flywheel with throwout bearing. They do not recommend what so ever that any of the moving parts be reused, so you cannot simply throw a new clutch in and go for another 100k like maybe a Neon could. That's what my buddy does on his neons, and one of his has like 350k. However apparently the Dart is so overly engineered in the transmission department, that it can't be that simple.

Not that you can't do it. You definitely can. However, they say it will ruin the clutch and wear it out extremely fast. I haven't seen any data to support that, but i also don't believe half the stuff a dealer might say. Because while "they know best", they also like to line their pockets with profit. Like when one small component goes out on something else, which could be it's own standalone part, but nope - need to buy a whole assembly at $3-500 a pop to get a piece kind of thing. Then you got on aftermarket sites and see that same part for like $5 that one one custom made knowing it goes bad.

Okay rant over :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts