Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, finally got around to installing the CDV delete this past weekend (after wanting it for 5 years lol) and hit a snag. And a pretty significant one at that....

Got the new part in no problem, but when it comes time to bleed the clutch, no bueno. The pedal falls straight to the floor, and nothing comes out of the bleeder valve even with the clip pushed in and the clutch line pulled out 1/8". We (two mechanical engineers and gearheads) are following the instructions to the letter (including videos online and threads on this very forum) but nothing is working. There's another thread on here of a guy with similar woes who couldn't get his bleeder valve open but once he did everything worked fine. I can get it open and still nothing. I don't think it is a good sign that the clutch pedal falls to the floor either.... The reservoir is full as well.

Gonna try to hit it with the power bleeder after work today, but if anyone has any insight, please do share!!! I'd like to actually enjoy the car with its better hydraulic clutch system lol. I mean we labored on the bleeding process for 6 ****ing hours man.... Would be nice to be able to drive my Dart again.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Not sure why you are having a problem. The clutch hydraulics are fairly simple. If you ever did a brake line bleed, it's not much different.

With the clutch pedal up, open the line at the clutch master (2). Start to press the clutch and you should be seeing fluid. If so, close the line and let the pedal up. If you don't see fluid, something is wrong with the master. Fluid from the brake reservoir should be at the clutch master by gravity flow.
It's very important not to release the pedal with the bleeder open or you will draw in air.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the fact that I don't see fluid when doing the above procedure seems to indicate that I have a bad master. Which would explain the problem.

Man when I did this I was prepared for an effortless install - bleeding a clutch should have been simple.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That may have been me who posted about the issue of having the clutch go to the floor. Some of that issue was me having a brain cramp and telling my son to push and release the clutch at the wrong time. I found the bleeder to be a real pain in the ass to open n and close properly. It also took many, many cycles to bleed it properly. Not nearly as easy as bleeding brake lines (in my opinion).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what ended up happening is a metric whack ton of air got in the system such that depressing the clutch wasn't really doing anything. Power bleeder did the trick, worked like a dream!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So what ended up happening is a metric whack ton of air got in the system such that depressing the clutch wasn't really doing anything. Power bleeder did the trick, worked like a dream!!
Same thing happened to me while doing the CDV delete a year ago. Got super frustrated with the process cause I didn't think anything was happening or getting better and I was by myself. Eventually bought a power bleeder and it was bled a lot quicker. What a headache. But it's done!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts