Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, well we have owned this 2014 gt since new and its been a fairly reliable car. Other than the screen randomly shutting off and restarting when the wife is driving it. In the last year the clutch pedal had gotten stuck really randomly like maybe once in 6 months kinda thing and of course I could never reproduce what my wife was telling me it did. Until the other day. She called and said it was starting to get stuck frequently and she had to keep popping it up with her foot. So a quick search on here and I found a lot of information about the Clutch issues that are apparently common on these cars and I was a little concerned. However her clutch wasn't getting stuck on the floor, it would seem to return halfway up and then be stuck... So I wedged myself upside down under the dash and started having a look and I found the return spring appeared broken. Sure enough when the pedal was depressed the holder for the spring would pull out of its notch and wedge itself against another plastic piece under there and that would cause the clutch to become stuck. I looked and looked for a breakdown of the clutch pedal assembly online and couldn't find anything so I took a chance and attempted to pop the spring and holder out. Once the pedal was depressed the spring and holder actually popped out quite easily. Sure enough the spring was broken. So for a temporary repair I put another spring of similar length in its place and was able to reinstall the spring and holder. This spring isn't as stiff but the clutch seemed to work fine without any spring when I was testing it so I am sure this must just be a helper. If anyone knows of a parts diagram or part number for the spring that would be great. Otherwise this post is simply here to possibly assist someone else who may come across the same problem.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Well, that's a "new one" to me. Not that others here haven't seen this. But for me I don't recall this item mentioned as part of the clutch sticking syndrome. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never heard of the spring being the issue, usually the master cyl, and sometimes the slave.

Also, your GT randomly shutting off problems is likely low oil.
It only happens when the wife is driving and its only the screen/radio stuff that shuts down and restarts. So I actually think maybe she is letting the rpms drop to much and it is sensing that its has stalled even though it doesn't.... That is the only way I am ever able to recreate the issue there.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
It only happens when the wife is driving and its only the screen/radio stuff that shuts down and restarts. So I actually think maybe she is letting the rpms drop to much and it is sensing that its has stalled even though it doesn't.... That is the only way I am ever able to recreate the issue there.
That is exactly what's going on! I have let them drop before just to test this out and sure enough the radio reboots thinking the car has stalled.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey all, well we have owned this 2014 gt since new and its been a fairly reliable car. Other than the screen randomly shutting off and restarting when the wife is driving it. In the last year the clutch pedal had gotten stuck really randomly like maybe once in 6 months kinda thing and of course I could never reproduce what my wife was telling me it did. Until the other day. She called and said it was starting to get stuck frequently and she had to keep popping it up with her foot. So a quick search on here and I found a lot of information about the Clutch issues that are apparently common on these cars and I was a little concerned. However her clutch wasn't getting stuck on the floor, it would seem to return halfway up and then be stuck... So I wedged myself upside down under the dash and started having a look and I found the return spring appeared broken. Sure enough when the pedal was depressed the holder for the spring would pull out of its notch and wedge itself against another plastic piece under there and that would cause the clutch to become stuck. I looked and looked for a breakdown of the clutch pedal assembly online and couldn't find anything so I took a chance and attempted to pop the spring and holder out. Once the pedal was depressed the spring and holder actually popped out quite easily. Sure enough the spring was broken. So for a temporary repair I put another spring of similar length in its place and was able to reinstall the spring and holder. This spring isn't as stiff but the clutch seemed to work fine without any spring when I was testing it so I am sure this must just be a helper. If anyone knows of a parts diagram or part number for the spring that would be great. Otherwise this post is simply here to possibly assist someone else who may come across the same problem.

Also had the same exact problem with my car shortly after I bought it. Do yourself a favor and put in the CDV delete kit form Deyeme Racing. Its very easy to do and will fix this issue, after replacing the clutch master it started doing the same thing. Deleted the CDV and problem gone and has yet to return, clutch action is also much improved and will probably even extend the life of the clutch as I have a feeling this delay valve slips the clutch more so than it should.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I annually have my clutch fluid replaced now. Always have clear fluid in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is exactly what's going on! I have let them drop before just to test this out and sure enough the radio reboots thinking the car has stalled.
I've had my 2014 Dart since
2014. I'm the only owner. It's an automatic. I have this same issue with my screen/radio. The dealership has replaced it 3 times. It still does it. But since it's an automatic. My rpm's aren't dropping at the time. Nothing unusual happening with my driving when this happens. But I'm somewhat glad to read I'm not going insane. 😁 I'd like to find out a specific fix for it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I have the same issue but mine didn't break all the way. I heard a pop under my dash and now the petal doesn't come all the way up sometimes and feels really funny. I took pics and looked under there but the spring looks to be in one piece yet but I did find a metal shard on my floorboard that clearly came from a spring and looks exactly like that spring.

Where did you find a replacement and were you able to replace this with out taking down the whole pedal assembly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I have the same issue but mine didn't break all the way. I heard a pop under my dash and now the petal doesn't come all the way up sometimes and feels really funny. I took pics and looked under there but the spring looks to be in one piece yet but I did find a metal shard on my floorboard that clearly came from a spring and looks exactly like that spring.

Where did you find a replacement and were you able to replace this with out taking down the whole pedal assembly?
I just used a spring that was similar that I found in my shop. It stopped the pedal from hanging up but then we had an issue with the clutch pedal dropping to the floor and not responding until hours later when the weather warmed up. Dealership couldn’t help me so we traded the dart in on a Hyundai SUV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok thanks. Got mine off and sure enough the spring was busted. Now I just have to find something similar. Checked Ace and O'Reilly's and neither one had anything. The only thing close was way to long. I'll do some more searching tomorrow.
20181108_200426.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok now does anyone know how to get this back in there? I found a spring almost identical but the challenge is there is no room to get it back up there. I was going to take the pedal assembly off but can't seem to get that off either. Got 5 nuts off but feels like there is one more holding it on somewhere and based off some of the parts I've seen on the web it looks like there is supposed to be a 6th nut. I just can't find it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Pedal Sticking

This just happened to me as well I have a 2015 Dart with the clutch stuck to the floor and does not come up. It has been “fixed at the dealership several times and it always ends the same way clutch on the floor. Can anyone help solve this issue. Also does anyone on this forum have a video of how to replace the dart clutch. It seems this would be really useful to everyone one here sooner or later. Because if you own a manual dart your clutch is going to to floor and is gonna stay there dodge cannot fix this.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I think dealers figure if they just ignore your real problem you will go somewhere else. Somewhere where they will replace the slave cylinder out of warranty and charge you alot of money. All things can be fixed. But not every tech wants to fix them. Take your Dart to a high rated dealer and explain your problem. And bring the bigger, fatter checkbook you have on hand. The problem WILL be solved.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
R and R for a FWD clutch is something a person can do by themselves without having to bend over for a dealer. Invest in a transmission jack if you don't already have one. Everything else is common sense if you have common tools. Take your time, label your fasteners, and before you know it, it's fixed.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
06 - Clutch / PEDAL AND PAD, Clutch / Removal

REMOVAL

CAUTION:
Brake fluid will damage painted surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled on any painted surfaces, wash it off immediately with water.

NOTE: To remove brake/clutch/throttle pedal armature assembly from the vehicle, (Refer to 05 - Brakes, Base/Hydraulic/Mechanical/PEDAL(S) , Brake and/or Accelerator/Removal)

1.Remove E-clip (3) holding the clevis pin (2) in the pedal armature.

2.Using a suitable pry bar, pry the clevis pin (1) from the left side of the armature (2) while holding the clutch pedal (4) in place.

3. As clevis (1) is pulled free of the armature (2) apply pressure to force the pedal inward to keep the return spring (5) from falling out of the assembly.

4.With one hand positioned under the return spring (5) to catch it, withdraw the clutch pedal (4) from the armature.

06 - Clutch / PEDAL AND PAD, Clutch / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.Position the return spring (5) over the pivot pin on the clutch pedal and into the notch on the plastic armature (2) while holding clutch pedal inward.

2. Align the clutch pedal (3) pivot bushings with the pass through holes in the armature (2).

3.Insert the clevis pin (1) into the left side of the armature (2) while holding the clutch pedal (3) in place. Align the head of the clevis with the inset on the armature and push the clevis all-the-way into the armature.

4.Install the E-clip (3) to hold the clevis pin (2) in the pedal armature.

NOTE: To install brake/clutch/throttle pedal armature assembly in the vehicle, (Refer to 05 - Brakes, Base/Hydraulic/Mechanical/PEDAL(S) , Brake and/or Accelerator/Installation)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts