Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So i got my car back and he told me he cleaned the bearing out and everything and it sounded good to him... First thing when i get in my car i hear the strut clicking again. I went back and told him it was still happening and he told me it's normal for a bearing to do that and it would be fine... At this point i told him thats not what a bearing should be like at all and that the other side is perfectly fine. He made me an appointment and told me it's more than likely not going to be covered by warrenty... Soo i'm no car guy, anyone know how much it should run me? Or if i should even attempt to do it myself?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
These struts are kind of a pain in the butt. Did you confirm it was the strut making the noise? It is absolutely not supposed to sound like that. What a cop out. If you are not familiar with the process it's worth paying someone to do it. I am a car guy and it was one of the tougher struts. You will need to push down pretty hrs on the control arm to release it.

We the willing, let by the unknowing do the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are qualified to do anything with nothing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So i got my car back and he told me he cleaned the bearing out and everything and it sounded good to him... First thing when i get in my car i hear the strut clicking again. I went back and told him it was still happening and he told me it's normal for a bearing to do that and it would be fine... At this point i told him thats not what a bearing should be like at all and that the other side is perfectly fine. He made me an appointment and told me it's more than likely not going to be covered by warrenty... Soo i'm no car guy, anyone know how much it should run me? Or if i should even attempt to do it myself?
That noise is definitely not a wheel bearing and he is feeding you a complete load of garbage so they don't have to cover it. If they broke it I would make them fix it or call your credit card company and open a dispute with them to refund you the amount back. If it is just the one strut you can get a top plate for around $40. You will have to have a spring compressor and so forth though to do the job.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Yeah, it's def not the strut itself. On top of the strut there is a bearing so that when you turn your wheel, the strut can turn with the suspension. You can just replace the top hat and it will save you some money.

We the willing, let by the unknowing do the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are qualified to do anything with nothing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well he didnt say it eas the wheel bearing, but he said the bearing is normal like that... When i turn my wheel, the right front strut is acting like it's catching on something and not turning smoothly. I know for a face thats not normal. I'm about to call and ask what all exactly he is planning on changing because if he puts an entire new sturt assembly i'm guna be pretty fucked off, excuse the language..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow, the one positive thing he told me just now, was theres no need to replace the whole strut.. A small amount of faith has been restored, but isnt that how they get you XD? Well for the mean time is there anything i can do to lower the noise? Wd40 up in there or something?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Well, if the bearing lost its seat, then there's really nothing you can do but replace it. You can try and pack some grease in it but it prob won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, well i also noticed alot of mud and dirt up in there (since i got the car back there is no reason it would get this dirty) after he told me he hosed everything out up in there and even took air to it all... I have a car place that does wonders but i didnt but my dart there and the guy there told me to just get all my stuff done where i bought it. I know him well enough and he does good work and even told me to not go to him, thats saying something. But it just seems like i keep getting dumb answers and even lies from where i bought the car. Blah.. Gotta love cars haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just curious I’ve had this issue for a while as well. My buddy said it’s the front strut mounts. And the dealer told me it wasn’t covered under warranty, understandably but they wouldn’t even confirm it was the mount for me without charging $150. So I’m curious I have the same issue as this. Turning in any direction, any weather I hear the clicking. Most noticeable difference I’ve noticed was the noise when I hit cracks in the road. Also going above 75 the car feels rough as hell. Is it the mount or the strut?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts