Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Dart 50,000 miles. It's making a weird clicking or almost like metal hitting metal sound on the front passenger side of the car. I guess the best way to describe it is it sounds like an exhaust hanger hanging hitting stuff. It only makes the noise when first pulling out at a dead stop and whenever your under 10mph. It does it on and off the gas. It doesn't do it when turning the wheel sitting still or driving. It doesn't do it over bumps either and occasionally does it while driving over 10mph and driving as normal.

I checked the struts, axle, has a new tie rod, I jacked up the passenger side took the wheel off and checked the brakes, caliper, dust shield, wheel bearing and everything looks fine nothing looks like it's been rubbing or hitting anything. I'm stumped at this point I have no idea where to look next. It's hard to narrow the sound down cause it won't make it just sitting still rocking the car and moving the wheel from side to side.

If anybody can recommend something I should check please let me know and I will check it. It's getting annoying at this point.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Subscribed as I’ve heard the same noise not only from Aya, but a 200s (same platform) rolling through a parking lot. @Bullfrog any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Have you put the front of the car on jack stands, turned of traction control and then put it in gear to get the drive train rotating? I had something like this happen when i replaced brakes the shim that goes into the caliper was rubbing on rotor and would make strange noises. It was hard to see where the shim was rubbing as well. didn't notice it till i took the brakes back off and saw the shim ground down. did you rotate the tires to rule out maybe a tpms sensor getting knocked around inside a wheel? cv joints click when going back, wheel bearing whine/grind but are directional when turn the wheel one way it gets louder under load and softer under load other way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read all the suggestions and will be checking all these options today. I also live in PA and the roads are really rough where I live so I automatically thought it was suspension. I will say this when I hear the noise it does soumd like something hittimg the rotor like a rock smacking around. Im gonna pull the caliper and pads off first and check that and go from there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm curious if this could be either a CV joint or motor mount. Mine does not do this but I have had my fair share of clanking sounds in previous vehicles.

Would it be possible to get some audio of this happening?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I've got a clanking sound when a heavy load is applied to the engine at low speeds(automatic trans). I believe it's the motor mounts and something is moving far enough to clank a piece of metal.

How often does it make this sound?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the brakes but i didnt see the shim you were talking about and didnt notice anything that would cause concern to me. I did discover the TPMS is broken inside the tire but the sound thats making isnt even close to the sound im hearing. Im getting that taken care of on friday and doing away with tpms sensors I hate them damn things. I will get some audio / video of the noise problem and have it uploaded today. That might make it a little clearer to all of you what I have to listen too thats driving me mad. I was a mechanic for 5 years and after you leave the business you realize how much not having a lift sucks. Thanks for all the input so far everyone I appreciate it alot. Were gonna figure this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here it is everyone let the guessing games begin. I cant post links yet but copy and paste that behind UTube url and there you go. The noise starts at 15 seconds in just an FYI watch?v=aL7apOK9rqY&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
I checked the brakes but i didnt see the shim you were talking about and didnt notice anything that would cause concern to me.

the shim i was talking about was between the caliper bracket and the caliper. these things:
https://www.carid.com/2013-dodge-dart-brake-parts/centric-disc-brake-hardware-18815482.html

The dart is nice to those who dont run TPMS sensors, just the light flashes then stays on but no annoying sounds or messages saying its gone. It can be turned off completely with the AlphaOBD app.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts