Dodge Dart Forum banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem, replaced the battery and the problem went away for a while, and now it's returned. I held on to the old battery and I noticed it was still in good shape (reading 12.6 volts) constantly. I have another vehicle that uses the same type of battery so I put the old Dart battery in it and the old Dart battery has been working like a champ. It's not the battery. When I contacted the dealer, the service guy acknowledged they've had several cars in with this same problem but when he found out that the car is few months out of warranty, they changed their tune and acted like they've never heard of it. This tells me it's a big problem and Chrysler/Fiat do not want to acknowledge it to the public or doesn't want their dealers to make it known to their customers. Do not just buy a new battery, find out the cause of the problem. I think it's ECM related from what dealer service manager hinted.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I have since merged all three threads regarding the "gauges clicking/flickering" into the original thread that was open at the beginning of 2014ish. There was no need for all the information to be scattered into three different threads. The .org now has thread in place for ALL information regarding this issue. Also it should be noted, this has now been stuck for the .org's convenience as well.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
OP here.

Holy this post has exploded. I'm glad lots of people have been able to get help and advice on what seems to be this very common issue we as Dart owners have. For an update on my Dart, as the cold weather disappeared and winter turned to spring, no more flickering gauges. The dealer did however screw up my speedometer, which is another story haha.

When I was at the dealer the other day however, I was told something promising by a mechanic there that I trust. He said that there is a flash update that came out not too long ago that was for the Darts and new Chrysler 200s. There's an issue with not enough power being sent to the cluster during the wake up stage in the colder months (as in when you open the door or unlock or whatever) and so the gauges flicker and EVIC kinda flashes as seen in the video. So anyways there is a lead that sounds promising so I'm scheduled to get the update done soon.

I'll let you all know!
Anybody else heard of this 'flash'?

·
Registered
848 Posts
My car just started doing this last night - looks like I will be replacing the battery - I acknowledge I didn't read through all 11 pages of posts - any other things I should be worrying about?

·
Registered
261 Posts
For everyone... =)

Not so much, really.

This is from the very night that I brought the car home with a brand new battery in it. Drove to the store, came home, turned the car off, and heard/saw this.

(Incidentally, it's the 4th battery that I can prove in 3.5 years. There are more, though--many, many more.)

(You'll need sound turned up and make it full screen- it's hard to see unless you've got a pretty big screen.)

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Not so much, really.

This is from the very night that I brought the car home with a brand new battery in it. Drove to the store, came home, turned the car off, and heard/saw this.

(Incidentally, it's the 4th battery that I can prove in 3.5 years. There are more, though--many, many more.)

(You'll need sound turned up and make it full screen- it's hard to see unless you've got a pretty big screen.)

Oh man you got me....Congrats and all but there's always an exception to the rule, but 9 times out of 10 it is an accurate statement.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My car just started doing this last night - looks like I will be replacing the battery - I acknowledge I didn't read through all 11 pages of posts - any other things I should be worrying about?
I forgot to provide follow up - sure enough, on the morning of my first day off I went to go purchase a replacement battery and my car wouldn't start. There was a great deal at a local shop on Bosch Ultimate AGM batteries, so an hour later (including removing the battery, driving to and from said shop, then installing the new battery), my car was up and running and has been good to go ever since.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So is the Dart a POS?
I am having this issue also. Car at the dealership now. With all these issues why has there not been a recall yet?
The clicking gauge is a sign that your battery is going bad. If you're under the 3yr/36k warranty they will replace it. If you're over then replace it with a quality aftermarket. The OEM batteries aren't the best and seem to have a life of 3 years

·
Premium Member
6,047 Posts
So is the Dart a POS?
I am having this issue also. Car at the dealership now. With all these issues why has there not been a recall yet?
You have a failed battery. It happens to pretty much every car owner from time to time over the years. It's not really a big deal, and it's about one of the easiest things to fix in a car. It took me less than 10 minutes of work to replace my Dart's battery, in the dark, while it was very cold out. In fact, it took longer waiting in the lineup to buy the new battery than to replace it.

By the way, what, exactly, do you think a recall is?

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
So I found a little thing that may or may not be a cause of this issue... When my phone is connected to the bluetooth and I turn the car off while still on the phone and it stays connected... I see the jumping and clicking gauges. BUT, the minute I end the call or the bluetooth is completely shut off it stops. Might be something for everyone to try and see if thats the reason their gauges are jumping and clicking? Idk for sure if thats the issue but that has been the only time ive ever seen my dart do this!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So I found a little thing that may or may not be a cause of this issue... When my phone is connected to the bluetooth and I turn the car off while still on the phone and it stays connected... I see the jumping and clicking gauges. BUT, the minute I end the call or the bluetooth is completely shut off it stops. Might be something for everyone to try and see if thats the reason their gauges are jumping and clicking? Idk for sure if thats the issue but that has been the only time ive ever seen my dart do this!
Yes it's the canbus system keeping the car on. I've noticed the same thing when I leave my scanner plugged into the OBD2 port and my aeroforce interceptor before I hardwired the power.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Yes it's the canbus system keeping the car on. I've noticed the same thing when I leave my scanner plugged into the OBD2 port and my aeroforce interceptor before I hardwired the power.
Yup! Thats the other thing that caused it for me! The scanner... I've scanned and did thing with the car off and it causes the gauges to be wonky.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yup! Thats the other thing that caused it for me! The scanner... I've scanned and did thing with the car off and it causes the gauges to be wonky.

The funny thing is ever since I've done the TFT swap my gauges don't flicker. My stock analog speedometer used to do it all the time in the winter

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
The funny thing is ever since I've done the TFT swap my gauges don't flicker. My stock analog speedometer used to do it all the time in the winter
Weird cause I have had the tft stock and the tach and the fuel gauge do it when the Bluetooth is on or the scanner. But only when the car isn't running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has been doing this since I took it in for service. I had to take it in due to the thermostat failing. So far I hate the car which I leased for reliability and it hasn't been very reliable at all. It starts when I jump the car but it's kind of strange that it started doing this only after taking it to the dealership for a thermostat replacement. The car only has 30k miles on it.

I hate this car.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Pretty much if your gauges are clicking and you have an OEM battery, replace the battery. If its still happening AFTER you replace the battery then there may be something there but its the classic sign that the battery is going dead and its been known the OEM batteries dont last very long.

·
Premium Member
6,047 Posts
Pretty much if your gauges are clicking and you have an OEM battery, replace the battery. If its still happening AFTER you replace the battery then there may be something there but its the classic sign that the battery is going dead and its been known the OEM batteries dont last very long.
There are 2 kinds of "clicking gauges" that I've experienced with my Dart. The first is what you're talking about here. When the various computers decide that the battery lacks the power to start the engine, instead of trying anyway, it makes the gauges jump and click when you try to start it. I guess a "Check Battery" message on the EVIC as the battery's performance became marginal (you know, before it was literally a non-starter) would have been too obvious and helpful. For most people, this happens when the OEM battery is 2 or 3 years old.

The other, which I think is what @Exitus04 and others are describing, I first noticed when I pulled in to work one morning and after shutting down was contemplating how far I could get from there before running out of gas. I noticed a faint "tick-tick-tick-tick" sound and noticed the tach and speedometer twitching. Every 15 seconds or so, they would go "ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk" for a few seconds while the needles jumped higher, and then it would go back to ticking along quietly. If I open the door to get out, it stops. I have no idea why it does this or if it means anything, and it would be easy to miss, since you have to sit in your car doing nothing for a bit after shutting it off to notice it. You know the whole starting your day with quiet contemplation and despair kind of thing. :crazy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had this happen to me last night. Clicking gauges, wouldn't start, etc. After reading this thread, I'm surprised my OEM battery lasted this long. I bought my car new in 2014.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts