Dodge Dart Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to rehash this old thread, but this literally just happened to me yesterday. 2013 Dart GT. Go to start the car and all my gauges flashed and cycled through all notification symbols, windshield wipers cycled, needles danced and I just heard the clicking sound. Just as others had said, swapped it out with a new one and all is good now. I had AutoZone run a voltage test because mine couldn't even read it, and it keep coming up for them as "Unstable battery. Do not use." I'm really surprised my OEM battery lasted nearly 7 years with no issues.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Problem sounds like a battery with almost a 100 amps left. Our batteries need to be around 700ish. I replaced mine at Auto Zone with their best and all has been well for 4 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I found this forum when my 2014 Dart SXT started showing symptoms as described by everyone here.

Then after days of turmoil, new batteries that worked periodically, etc. I decided to just open the hood and look and it turned out ny negative cable to my battery was loose. Fixed that an no problems since.

That explained the needles jumping and every other symptom (in my case). Maybe some of you will find that you had the same issue. Wanted to share because this forum considering I read everything here trying to help and othrrs sharing their problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I tightened and fixed the cable and it ran fine for a week. Then I noticed jumping needles on startup recently. Today I went to start my car to make an appointment and kmit wouldn't start.

The only difference is that this time, the car has sat for 2-3 days withouf being started as opposed to everyday driving like the past week after I fixed the negative terminal to my battery. Not sure what to do from here, guess I am going to buy a higher voltage battery and just hope for the best. I am so stressed out with this issue. I regret paying so much money for this car. I loved it at first but this is outrageous

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
If your 2014 has the original battery, then be happy it's lasted this long. The battery size is H5 47 and all automotive batteries are 12 volt but you can get more cranking amps.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have a 2014 GT and replaced my battery a few months ago. It helped solve an issue where if I let the RPMs get too low/near stall (I have a manual) the display would power cycle and it would act as if the negative terminal had been disconnected. I went with the battery pictured below. Has been great so far.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2015 Dodge Dart that was experiencing the jumping indicators/clicking gauges like others on this thread. We purchased this car 18 months ago rebuilt with a salvaged title. Our mechanic inspected the car and everything was good to go. About a month ago, we started experiencing some weird issues. Engine light came on. We went to the local parts store so they could put the machine on it to let us know what codes were being thrown out. Different codes each time we went. When the vehicle wouldn't start (intermittently) I searched online for the clicking gauge issue. We came along this thread. Everything seemed to point to the battery (as others had posted). We checked that battery. Lo and behold it was a MOPAR battery. Immediately replaced it. Two weeks now and no issues. No codes. No check engine light. Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences. Your posts helped save us hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.

·
Super Moderator
4,567 Posts
We have a 2015 Dodge Dart that was experiencing the jumping indicators/clicking gauges like others on this thread. We purchased this car 18 months ago rebuilt with a salvaged title. Our mechanic inspected the car and everything was good to go. About a month ago, we started experiencing some weird issues. Engine light came on. We went to the local parts store so they could put the machine on it to let us know what codes were being thrown out. Different codes each time we went. When the vehicle wouldn't start (intermittently) I searched online for the clicking gauge issue. We came along this thread. Everything seemed to point to the battery (as others had posted). We checked that battery. Lo and behold it was a MOPAR battery. Immediately replaced it. Two weeks now and no issues. No codes. No check engine light. Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences. Your posts helped save us hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.
Glad it helped. Yes, the batteries are very well known to fail. They are a typical cheap wear item in new cars. They give you something that will last a few years and then dies so you have to replace it on your own money. It's all just cheap parts that they know they can cheap out on and get away with to make more money. Tires, and battery are the two big things that come to my mind. Probably same with oil and on a new car. It might be what the engine requires, but it might not be the penzoil platinum that costs a good amount of money. They know people are gonna have to change it out in a few thousand miles, so why put good stuff in? Who knows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this problem as well.. my 13 dart has been clicking with jumping gauges for a couple weeks now. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
If you are still on the original battery, replace it because the clicking gauges are telling you the battery is weak.

·
Super Moderator
4,567 Posts
I am having this problem as well.. my 13 dart has been clicking with jumping gauges for a couple weeks now. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
Yes just replace the battery. Don't go and get it checked. It will more than likely come back as okay. If original, those batteries go out early. I have heard that it even eats replacement batteries, so just replace it. I don't think one person has ever had this issue and it not be due to a bad battery.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yep, I bought my 2013 Dart used in 2014 w/ 16K miles. It already had a NAPA brand battery in it. I've now put in like 3 maybe 4 batteries now..could be 5 I lost count. Right now I bought a Champion AGM battery since it was on sale when I bought it, figured I'd see how a AGM would do as far as longevity. Seemed like I was replacing the battey like every 1-1.5 years.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts