Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

First time posting. Just wondering if anyone else has accumulated very thin scratches on the piano black bezel that surrounds the touchscreen and instrument cluster? It appears mine was scratched significantly directly from the factory and although you can only see the scratches under direct light/sunlight, they are certainly annoying.

While I wait and remain hopeful that the dealership will replace this bezel for me (they're still processing it with Chrysler Canada), has anybody successfully covered/fixed these scratches, and if so, how?

Also, for cleaning purposes, it appears that my unused microfibre cloths are also somehow causing scratches. So I'm just wondering how people have been dusting this part of the interior...

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,383 Posts
I dust my interior with a swiffer. Works very well, not abrasive at all.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
yep i used a microfiber towel as well and have the same issue. I'm fixing it by removing it and wrapping it in CF vinyl. I have tried polishing out the scratches as well but no dice.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anything that you use to WIPE is going to scratch because whatever is on the dash, bezel etc, gets caught up in the cloth and works like an abrasive. Same principle of cleaning the exterior of your car applies to the interior. Thats why you don't wipe a dry car with a towel.

When you clean surfaces like the bezel, NAV screen, dust it first then use a moist/damp towel.

Been using the swiffer for car interiors since they hit the market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I picked up a small swifter duster from Canadian Tire and it works like a charm. Getting the dust and dirt away from those scratches actually made those areas much less noticeable.

Might attempt to polish them out with a soft small-cell foam pad, but right now it's not even that noticeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue with my bezel from the dealer. I have an appointment to see what they can do. Cross fingers.
I really don't want to have to modify it just to be rid of the scratches....waiting game for now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Something you might want to try is using a finishing polish such as HD Polish or HD Speed all in one on a soft applicator pad. For example, this black applicatior pad by Buff & Shine is made of the same foam they use for the black Finishing buffing pad. Genly clean the trim with a soft microfiber towel and a little isopropyl alcohol to make sure there's no dressing or gunk. Apply a couple pea size dots to the applicator and gently polish the trim. Remove residue with a high quality microfiber towel. Sorry but Sam's/Costco towels won't work as they are not soft enough. If using HD Speed then you will be applying a wax at the same time as polishing so you will need to let it haze before removing residue.

The thing with HD Speed or HD Polish is that they are non-diminishing abrasive based polishes. This means you do not have to keep polishing to break down the abrasives in the polish. You simply stop polishing when the defects have been removed. Once you polish the scratches out you will need to apply a protectant to reduce abrasion from dust removal. It's not required but helpful. That's why I suggested HD Speed.

In regards to microfiber towels, the absolute cheapest that I would consider would be the Short Pile 380GSM towels at Autoality. When I'm polishing ultra soft paint that marrs easily, I use the Fluffy Pile 470GSM towels to remove polish residue. I have yet to have an issue with these towels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts