Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Check engine light came on I tried to do a diagnostic with alfa and obd link said there were no errors came up once with u 1504 error. Was unable to reset engine light to off position. Went to autozone and they pulled the same code anyone have this problem. I just scored a low milage drivers side cloth seat in perfect condition and right before I was able to get a chance to install it the car repays me with this quirky error code any help appreciated

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Check engine light came on I tried to do a diagnostic with alfa and obd link said there were no errors came up once with u 1504 error. Was unable to reset engine light to off position. Went to autozone and they pulled the same code anyone have this problem. I just scored a low milage drivers side cloth seat in perfect condition and right before I was able to get a chance to install it the car repays me with this quirky error code any help appreciated
implausible message data length received from steering angle sensor

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
The steering angle sensor is part of the steering rack, not a separate part. Not something you can easily replace nor is it likely the problem. Did you recently disconnect the battery. If so, it will go away itself. You can turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least 4 times while it's running and it may go away or you can then use the scanner and it should erase. It can be a CAN Bus error, something intermittent in the wiring.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was using the alfa obd scanner tool on steering and instrument panel. when i linked it to engine tigershark it found an error and i was able to erase check engine light and it hasn't come back on. Weird maybe heat and humidity caused the check engine light to come on. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was getting frustrated with this car but everything seems to be working well now. Thanks for all the help. This club and its members have helped me so much

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had that same code U1504 at about 90,000 miles. I had the the steering angle sensor replaced and have had no issues since. That check engine light was annoying me so bad. Every time I reset it, it would pop back on after twenty minutes of driving. It didn’t look like a real difficult install but airbags scare me so I had my mechanic handle it. 👻

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
I had that same code U1504 at about 90,000 miles. I had the the steering angle sensor replaced and have had no issues since. That check engine light was annoying me so bad. Every time I reset it, it would pop back on after twenty minutes of driving. It didn’t look like a real difficult install but airbags scare me so I had my mechanic handle it. 👻
It was likely the steering control module which is part of the multifunction switch that was replaced. The steering angle sensor is part of the steering rack and not a separate part.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is what it looks like. The exact part I had replaced. Not the module. Steering angle sensor which is part of the clock spring in every model of 2012-2016 Dodge Dart. It sits right behind the airbag

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
That is the SCCM, steering column control module. The you tube videos are using the wrong technical designations.

08 - Electrical / 8E - Electronic Control Modules / MODULE, Steering Column / Description

DESCRIPTION

The Steering Control Module (SCM) for this vehicle is a microcontroller based electronics unit internal to the molded plastic Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) mounting housing (2). The SCCM mounting housing is located near the top of the steering column directly below the steering wheel. The SCCM mounting housing includes the multifunction switch (1) and the SCM, which is also a Local Interface Network (LIN) master node and a gateway to the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The clockspring (3) snaps over the top of the SCCM mounting housing. For additional information on the clockspring, (Refer to 10 - Restraints/CLOCKSPRING/Description) . For additional information on the multifunction switch, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Lamps/Lighting - Exterior/SWITCH, Multifunction/Description) .

The SCCM mounting housing is aligned on the steering column jacket by a plastic latch feature that snaps over a small lug integral to the outer circumference of the upper steering column housing, then a metal clamp with a single screw tightens the unit to the steering column. There are lugs cast into the outer circumference of the steering wheel hub that engage the inner circumference of the clockspring rotor hub to drive the clockspring and to disengage a small red plastic spring-loaded blocker that locks the clockspring rotor hub to the clockspring housing until the steering wheel is properly installed. The steering wheel hub disengages the blocker when properly installed. The steering wheel must be tightened to specification to ensure proper clockspring function.

The SCCM mounting housing includes an integral connector insulator that faces toward the instrument panel. However, the terminal pins that populate this insulator are integral to the clockspring and are connected to the vehicle electrical system through a take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness. The SCCM mounting housing also has an interconnect receptacle that faces toward the steering wheel. This receptacle accepts the fixed terminal pins of the clockspring half of the interconnect, which consists of several circuits that pass through the clockspring dedicated to connecting the SCM to the vehicle electrical system.

The SCCM mounting housing, the multifunction switch as well as the SCM LIN master node and CAN gateway electronics unit cannot be adjusted or repaired. If ineffective or damaged the entire SCCM mounting housing, multifunction switch and SCM must be replaced as a unit.

19 - Steering / Gear / Description

DESCRIPTION

The steering gear is the rack-and-pinion type with Electric Power Assist (EPS). It is mounted on the front suspension crossmember, and the front crossmember must be removed from the vehicle to service the steering gear. The only serviceable parts of the steering gear are the inner tie rods, outer tie rods, and the inner tie rod bellows.

The EPS system is only serviced as an assembly, including the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). If the SAS requires replacement, the entire steering gear must be replaced.

Reactions: Gh0§t

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got a steering wheel angle sensor code after changing my wheel bearing. I replaced the wheel sensor and clock spring with no luck. The wheel bearing has a tone ring built into it. I went back with the Mopar wheel bearing and it fixed this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts