Dodge Dart Forum banner

521 - 536 of 536 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
No mention of the Chrysler Pentastar 3.6 , refined by 2014 ? Is there no sense here ?
I wonder what we're going to lament over when it all goes electric? The internal combustion engine is largely responsible for the joy of automotive arguments since the Model T. "Hey Joe... big battery you got there, huh? Bet it sounds schweete !!"
It will be all the majesty of an IPad on wheels.
First tv commercials are out there now, touting all the excitement of a silent , fast, midnight ride..... cough.

How soon will electric planes hit mass market?
That "MAD LAB" channel is pretty much complete garbage. If they got anything right, it's obviously by mistake.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Electric is free, right? It just comes out of the wall.
Except that it's not. No one even talks about where we're putting the spent nuclear fuel material.
Is that why we want to go back to the Moon? Depository?
Wait, no... someone's already there using it.
Can't win. What goes around doesn't even come around anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Electric is free, right? It just comes out of the wall.
Except that it's not. No one even talks about where we're putting the spent nuclear fuel material.
Is that why we want to go back to the Moon? Depository?
Wait, no... someone's already there using it.
Can't win. What goes around doesn't even come around anymore.
Just fire that crap into the sun. Or recycle it into something else. Seriously. Why bury nuclear waste when it lasts for literally thousands of years?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #524

Approaching the 40,000 mile point with the Phlyer

I wonder if if power output increases once you get past the 30,000 mile point with a properly broken in engine?
Because it seems to be the case with my Avenger . I've run mid grade gas (since it calls only for 87) and it seems to "beg" for more pedal once I'm out on a freeway..... Begging in terms of already being at 80mph
on a flat terrain, but barely touching the pedal. Maybe it's just me ....

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
Buddy outing for a pre- summer taste .......
Oh the slings and arrows, and all that stuff..... Just another curious couple days in the somewhat boring but pleasant life of Dad's Dart (which should technically read Dad's Avenger, but y'all can't change your name and that would be a bump in the road of my history here as well.)
So, the Bud is in for the due oil change, checkover and first tire rotation of the Primacy Michs' . All good. No weird noises after rotating like one would normally get with GoodYears. Noice.
Go for a decent tour of a local mountain range (winter ski area) . Noice.
Go for a second cruise with my son and .... wait for it .... the tire pressure chime and picture come on. Not noice. I figure they didn't check all the pressures correctly. Not the case. I go to ck pressures and staring at me all shiny and pretty is a screw head imbedded in my rear tire. Ugh..... Luckily, very small and centrally located in the tread. Dealer fixed for free (I'm a "regular", if you know what I mean...) and we're on the way ! For the record, this happens EVERY time I either get a new car, wife gets a new car, or buy new tires for a current car. Guaranteed. It's an historical fact with me.
So, we continue on with the cruise. All good. Except for the grim reminder that there are NO roads left in my area that are not overpopulated and packed with aggressive drivers who just can't bear to have someone in front of them. It goes back to the old story: if you want a great drive, it has to be very early AM on a Sunday. Otherwise... It's PEOPLE !!!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Buddy outing for a pre- summer taste .......
Oh the slings and arrows, and all that stuff..... Just another curious couple days in the somewhat boring but pleasant life of Dad's Dart (which should technically read Dad's Avenger, but y'all can't change your name and that would be a bump in the road of my history here as well.)
So, the Bud is in for the due oil change, checkover and first tire rotation of the Primacy Michs' . All good. No weird noises after rotating like one would normally get with GoodYears. Noice.
Go for a decent tour of a local mountain range (winter ski area) . Noice.
Go for a second cruise with my son and .... wait for it .... the tire pressure chime and picture come on. Not noice. I figure they didn't check all the pressures correctly. Not the case. I go to ck pressures and staring at me all shiny and pretty is a screw head imbedded in my rear tire. Ugh..... Luckily, very small and centrally located in the tread. Dealer fixed for free (I'm a "regular", if you know what I mean...) and we're on the way ! For the record, this happens EVERY time I either get a new car, wife gets a new car, or buy new tires for a current car. Guaranteed. It's an historical fact with me.
So, we continue on with the cruise. All good. Except for the grim reminder that there are NO roads left in my area that are not overpopulated and packed with aggressive drivers who just can't bear to have someone in front of them. It goes back to the old story: if you want a great drive, it has to be very early AM on a Sunday. Otherwise... It's PEOPLE !!!!!
It's been a super cluster-fudge around my parts lately. Normally the state of Michigan is known for "construction season" which is anytime we have good weather. However, this year they decided to fix everything at the same time and also decided to completely shutdown many on-ramps and off-ramps. So the people trying to get on the only onramp located for miles end up backing up traffic for miles in each direction on multiple city roads.

The classic situation of "oh the light is turning red, screw it Ill just go through and block the intersection so nobody else can go". I HATE these people.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Approaching the 40,000 mile point with the Phlyer

I wonder if if power output increases once you get past the 30,000 mile point with a properly broken in engine?
Because it seems to be the case with my Avenger . I've run mid grade gas (since it calls only for 87) and it seems to "beg" for more pedal once I'm out on a freeway..... Begging in terms of already being at 80mph
on a flat terrain, but barely touching the pedal. Maybe it's just me ....
I've noticed that power output increases over time only if you drive it fast everyday. 10k miles is the standard break in period it seems for modern cars, I think they are programmed to not give 100% power until after that point. After the 10k miles I think it's just the ecu and computers adjusting to your particular location and driving habits.

Now if we talk about something like my dirt bike which has zero electronics and a carburetor, that break in period was pretty much EXACTLY 500 miles. All the reviews I read about my particular bike said it was a "wheelie monster". When I first rode it I could not figure out why people would say that. After the 500 mile mark I knew exactly what they were talking about. No change in mods whatsoever.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
How about a Forum Roll Call of our favorite cars? I know that activity level is down in general, but there must be some lurkers still out there..... Darts, and others like me that got out of the Dart and into something else...etc..... Updates..... liking the ride, lovin' the ride, looking to get into something else again..... iow, car talk.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
How about a Forum Roll Call of our favorite cars? I know that activity level is down in general, but there must be some lurkers still out there..... Darts, and others like me that got out of the Dart and into something else...etc..... Updates..... liking the ride, lovin' the ride, looking to get into something else again..... iow, car talk.
I came out of 7-11 and as I got into my Dart I heard a loud tire squeal. I look over and see a 2014 Dodge Avenger R/T racing an older 2006 Trailblazer SS. Avenger roasted him by the time they hit 2nd gear. I thought of Dad's Dart haha. The power of the modern V6 is no joke.

My Dart is still going strong, but the seats are freaking killing my lower back. I've been throwing around the idea of getting a Ram Truck. The deals on them right now are incredible, $180 a month for a lease. I really need something that can tow and has cargo room since I have alot of equipment to bring to my new property. I just don't know if I can sacrifice the incredible handling of the Dart for functionality of a truck. Maybe Ill just convince the wifey to get a truck and I can keep my Dart, her lease on her Journey is due at the end of this year.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
I came out of 7-11 and as I got into my Dart I heard a loud tire squeal. I look over and see a 2014 Dodge Avenger R/T racing an older 2006 Trailblazer SS. Avenger roasted him by the time they hit 2nd gear. I thought of Dad's Dart haha. The power of the modern V6 is no joke.

My Dart is still going strong, but the seats are freaking killing my lower back. I've been throwing around the idea of getting a Ram Truck. The deals on them right now are incredible, $180 a month for a lease. I really need something that can tow and has cargo room since I have alot of equipment to bring to my new property. I just don't know if I can sacrifice the incredible handling of the Dart for functionality of a truck. Maybe Ill just convince the wifey to get a truck and I can keep my Dart, her lease on her Journey is due at the end of this year.
Just a friendly reminder to anyone who thinks that a '14 Avenger R/T trim might be tuned higher than a V6 SE ........ They Are Da Same ! :big smile: A "sleeper" of a sedan fer sher.....
I say get the Truck and keep the Dart for posterity ! The last of the greatly tuned chassis on an economy sedan. Compared to what's out there in cars, the Dart is a treasure.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Just a friendly reminder to anyone who thinks that a '14 Avenger R/T trim might be tuned higher than a V6 SE ........ They Are Da Same ! :big smile: A "sleeper" of a sedan fer sher.....
I say get the Truck and keep the Dart for posterity ! The last of the greatly tuned chassis on an economy sedan. Compared to what's out there in cars, the Dart is a treasure.
It's essentially the same as the tune of a 2014 Grand Caravan. Same transmission with two different 4th gears and everything (it has a taller 4th gear that it uses when you are accelerating up through the gears, and a shorter 4th gear that it uses when you initiate a step-down by accelerating from 5th or 6th gear). Just sayin'.

I actually, I hate my stupid minivan more than ever right now, and I have always pretty much despised it. It seems a small metal line cracked and sprayed power steering fluid out everywhere. After doing some research, even identifying the problem would have required dropping the subframe cradle. That process is... something else. You basically have to remove both steering knuckles... so that you can remove the drive axles and tie rod end links... so that you can remove the control arm ball joints... and you also have to disconnect the power steering gear, the front engine mount, and remove the engine mount subframe. Only then can you lower the subframe cradle and figure out what the problem is. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the space to disassemble the entire steering assembly and suspension on my minivan, and it would be a hell of a job to do with the thing up on jack stands in the driveway. It turns out that working on almost anything under the hood in these vans is a nightmare. So long story short, it's in a shop now waiting for the power steering module to be replaced. As I suspected might be the case, the line that had cracked open (I could see the crack through the cradle with fluid dripping from it) is an integral part of the power steering rack and pinion assembly, unfortunately. So mucho dollars to fix. It kind of sucks that 6 months after the extended warranty ended, after 5 years of flawless operation, this thing is turning into a turd. It also needs to have the latch mechanism for the rear gate replaced, because it always detects it being open (apparently a pretty common problem with Dodge and Jeep vehicles with un-powered lift gates, since they all use the same latch). At least that's not very critical, and I can replace it myself in about 15 minutes. All of this on a vehicle that hasn't hit 60,000 kilometers yet, and has already killed one set of rear brakes, and this is with the much-improved "HD Brakes".

I wouldn't have guessed that after 6 years, my first model year 2013 Dart 1.4T DDCT with all its options would still be running well with only relatively minor issues along the way (the control arm needing to be replaced for a crunch ball joint is the worst issue it's had), while my 2014 base model Grand Caravan, which was in its 7th model year of the current generation at that time, and is generally seen as a "drive it until it rust into the ground" kind of vehicle, would be the one giving me headaches. And the van is both newer and has less mileage! This van is proof that when life gives you lemons, it's also going to squeeze lemon juice into your eyes, because that's what you deserve for buying a minivan.

I swear, if I win the lottery, I'm getting a roll cage welded into that van, putting racing tires on it, taking it to a track, and literally driving it to its death. At least I have one car that's still my buddy.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
Yup and yup .... eventually automobiles will be truly disposable electric powered appliances. Even more so than recent gas powered units. And, the whole auto industry will change forever. Parts, repairs, emotional interest by consumers, etc. The future is here. Welcome to the future.
Ugh.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
Meanwhile. we have a few more years of burning up old dinosaur bones in our oil pumping monsters. I wonder how the new C8 mid engine Corvette will be as a buddy? So far, I'm not a fan of the leaked pictures which seem to be pretty accurate. No one told me that "Edgy" was back in style. I mean, yes, it's been in style for awhile with the other mid engine cars, but, I thought the word on the street was to start going more rounded or organic again? So far, it just screams CHEVY rather than Corvette .
C81.jpg

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
So, back to my Bud - the Phoenix Phlyer.... at the rate I'm driving it (since retiring) I wonder when it will qualify for a "Barn Find" , lol...... 2014 with 39K on odo and not ratcheting up much since this past Winter.....
doesn't even have dried bugs and road debris on the front ! I keep thinking about waxing and detailing but not sure why I'd bother. Maybe clean the french fries off the Weather Tech liners.......:nerd:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
So, back to my Bud - the Phoenix Phlyer.... at the rate I'm driving it (since retiring) I wonder when it will qualify for a "Barn Find" , lol...... 2014 with 39K on odo and not ratcheting up much since this past Winter.....
doesn't even have dried bugs and road debris on the front ! I keep thinking about waxing and detailing but not sure why I'd bother. Maybe clean the french fries off the Weather Tech liners.......:nerd:
That just means you need to take your buddy on a road trip to another state. My commute is 2 miles roundtrip, so all my mileage is earned by my spirited fun drives after work.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #536 (Edited)
That just means you need to take your buddy on a road trip to another state. My commute is 2 miles roundtrip, so all my mileage is earned by my spirited fun drives after work.
If it weren't for my needing to tend to my diabetic cat, and disabled son, I'd head on out to see your new property !! One of the future "living areas" of our once great Nation - I'm sure.

Time To .....

get out.jpg

521 - 536 of 536 Posts