Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L 6 speed manual transmission. It has just over 23,000 miles on it. This morning I started my car to go to work. I went to put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot and it would not go into gear. I then noticed it wouldn't go into 1st, 3rd, or 5th either. all of the gears on the top of the shifter would not work. It acted as if something was blocking it. But 2nd, 4th, and 6th seemed to be fine. I have no idea of what this may be..Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Take a look under the hood at the shifter linkage going on top of the transmission. The linkage controlling the top gears probably popped off, or broke off. If everything is on correctly under the hood, then the problem is under the shifter boot, meaning something is no longer connected right under there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So because it was still under warranty, I was able to get the dealer to tow it back to their shop and take a look at it. As odd as it sounds, they found a walnut jammed in the linkage causing me not to be able to shift into those gears. Turns out a critter of some sort (Im assuming a squirrel) got in there over night and did this. Luckily nothing was actually damaged or broke. So it was indeed a linkage issue.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Usually it's a loose nut behind the wheel. This time, one at the shifter linkage? LOL!

I actually came into this thread to see how common linkage bushing disintegration is. My wife had to tow our Dart back home (all of about 500 ft) because "the clutch went out." Well, she burned up a clutch once drag racing our Neon, so I understand where she was coming from. But as soon as she described it (wouldn't go into any gear, shifter was "floppy") I knew it was something with the linkage. Took the air charge piping off the TB, and sure enough, the rubber isolator had disintegrated from the over-engineering POS ball joint end link FCA made for the transmission. They couldn't just use a rod with a groove, a bushing, and an e-clip? They had to go with some sintered-on one piece design that can't be removed for service? Yep. So now I need to scrape the rest of the rubber out of the end link and design a bushing with a ball-socket style inside hole and grooved OD so it can be popped on. I'll probably use our FIRM (80A durometer) polymer-fiber reinforced polyurethane for the bushing.

Anyone else needing a shifter bushing to fix a floppy shifter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is GREAT! I had the same issue; I could only shift into 2, 4 and 6! I Googled 2013 Dodge Dart will only shift into 2, 4 and 6, and this entry was one of the items returned. I looked under the hood, and sure enough, there was a walnut. I should've taken a picture. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually it's a loose nut behind the wheel. This time, one at the shifter linkage? LOL!

I actually came into this thread to see how common linkage bushing disintegration is. My wife had to tow our Dart back home (all of about 500 ft) because "the clutch went out." Well, she burned up a clutch once drag racing our Neon, so I understand where she was coming from. But as soon as she described it (wouldn't go into any gear, shifter was "floppy") I knew it was something with the linkage. Took the air charge piping off the TB, and sure enough, the rubber isolator had disintegrated from the over-engineering POS ball joint end link FCA made for the transmission. They couldn't just use a rod with a groove, a bushing, and an e-clip? They had to go with some sintered-on one piece design that can't be removed for service? Yep. So now I need to scrape the rest of the rubber out of the end link and design a bushing with a ball-socket style inside hole and grooved OD so it can be popped on. I'll probably use our FIRM (80A durometer) polymer-fiber reinforced polyurethane for the bushing.

Anyone else needing a shifter bushing to fix a floppy shifter?
Yes I do

·
Registered
2013 Dart GT
4 Posts
So I am currently having this same issue, except I cannot shift into 2nd, 4th, or 6th gear. So I can shift up, but not back. I checked all the connections under the hood and everything seems yo be okay. I even out some lithium grease just to be sure. But even after all of that, I still can't shift into my even gears. The Trans was rebuilt 3 years ago and the clutch was just redone less 3 months ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts