Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. So yesterday I drove my car and everything was fine. I went to start her up today and it won’t start. I don’t hear any clicking or anything. When I go to turn to run it’s just silence. The radio and lights and horn come on. Last week I had a coolant leak due to some loose hoses but I had that fixed. Do you think coolant could’ve leaked somewhere and is doing damage somewhere? So, I use my multimeter and the battery is at 12.47
That’s bad right? Do you think it would start if I had it jumped? Looking for any advice please. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Battery should be a little over 12 volts. Coolant leak had probably nothing to do with your current problem. Swap same type relays and check fuses in the PDC. You could try jumping it, just make sure not to reverse polarity. You may have a dead starter. Jack up the front end and take a breaker bar from underneath and put one end on the starter and bang the other end with a hammer a few times.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check the fuses but I’m not mechanically inclined so I might have to tow it to the mechanic. Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I hit the starter if I just open the hood? Like with a long metal something or another? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
If you can see it, you can try. I know on the 2.0 1nd 2.4, it has to be from underneath.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I was trying to find videos of the location and I don’t think I can get to it from under the hood. Thanks though

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I changed the fuse and a few minutes later it started. Do you think the starter is going bad or could have been it’s just the fuse? I took it to a mechanic but he said there’s no way to check just the starter. Is that true? He said he would run a charging system test. What would you do? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Charging system test is for the alternator, therefore a waste of time and money. An internal short in the starter could have blown a fuse. Check wiring for the starter circuit because fuses ONLY blow when there is a short somewhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. He’s not charging me for the charging test just if he finds something. Thanks for the info I truly appreciate it a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts