Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to the forum. I need to change my camshaft position sensor on my dodge dart sxt asap, I have the part but I can't find it in the engine anywhere. Everywhere I looked online it said it was in the front left of the engine but me and my friend looked for hours yesterday. If someone could post a pic of the sensor in the car so I know where to look it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Which engine?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There are two Camshaft Position Sensors on the 2.0L (ECK) engine. The (1/1) Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor (2) is mounted to the front face of the cylinder head on the same side as the exhaust camshaft. The (1/2) Intake Camshaft Position Sensor (1) is mounted to the rear face of the cylinder head on the same side as the intake camshaft. Both sensors are located nearest the number four cylinder end of the engine. Both sensor connectors have three wires.
Wire colors:
CMPsensor20a.jpg
CMP2sensor20a.jpg

dart20CMP.jpg

dart20CMPsensors.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also am trying to change Camshaft Position sensor on a 2.0L. I already replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor on the front of the head. I can touch the cam sensor on the back of the head but can't get a tool on the bolt. Can someone advise how to get at it? Running out of tools and patience! :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I remember pulling one at the junkyard and I ended up pulling the throttle body to get to it. Throttle body wasn't easy either. There is a bracket on the throttle body that has a bolt almost as inaccessible as the cam sensor.
Are you sure you need to replace the intake cam sensor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't need to replace, just doing preventive maintenance on the wife's car @ 132K. Around the miles I have had others fail in the past.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have never heard of replacing sensors as part of preventive maintenance. I don't know what cars you had before but if you search here, cam and crank sensors are not a common failure item. If you are getting your replacements from autozone of advance, those sensors are made in china. My five Neons that I have owned have all gone over 200k miles with no need to replace sensors. I would never replace those sensors with aftermarket. I have read of way too many aftermarket sensors made in china that fail right out of the box. I pull oem sensors from wrecked cars at the junkyard and keep those for spares. I strongly suggest not replacing those until you have a reason to do so like a check engine code that points directly to a sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ive only ever had to change one crank sensor....in my s10 blazer.....sensor had like 400k miles on it lol and had been taken out and put back 4 times as I had rebuilt the engine 4 times. Finally gave out one day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts